CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

just got my first bike

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 01:03 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default just got my first bike

just got it yesterday 96cbr600f3. dont really know much about them but it seems to be pretty solid. I had a couple questions if you wouldnt mind helpin a newbie out.

its pretty much stock except the header and pipe

questions:

any recommendations on performance mods?

any recommendations on exterior mods?

recommendation on a good, but inexpensive helmet

never rode a bike before but it feels natural. had it up to 120 on the highway at night time on the ride home from gettin it. deff need a helmet, sunglasses at night really dont cut it.

all comments and opinions would be apperciated. thanks in advance

Attached Thumbnails just got my first bike-photo-5-.jpg  
Old 08-25-2009, 05:13 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1st off, welcome & congratulations on a getting a great bike, looks good.
I don't have any performance mods myself, as I reckon the F3's a pretty good any way.
I have tank cover for paint protection & a gear rack & that's about it.
You will find a bit of information on here, just do a search.
I have a couple of helmet's, but I like my Nolan & it's a mid priced lid.

Old 08-25-2009, 06:23 AM

if you have never rode a bike before, and you got it up to 120 the first day you got it, i would invest in a very good helmet.

Old 08-25-2009, 06:38 AM

I'll chime in on the helmets - I am a new rider too. You can do all the research on prices/styles you want - but all fails when it comes to going to the store and putting them all on your head. IMO you can get a decent comfortable helmet with good ventilation for 170 ish -- here in FL anyway. Entry level goes starts at 100 -- and the pricey ones are well...pricey.

Put on a cheap helmet -then throw on an expensive ones and feel the difference. See the lighter padding inside, the fact you can wash the padding, and all the vents to air out your head. Figure out your price range and what you can afford and then narrow it down.

Old 08-25-2009, 07:05 AM

If your on a budget HJC makes some good looking and comfortable helmets with insides that can come out for easy cleaning. I have the flair model and love it. It was like $60 brand new!

Last edited by sHk|HomiCide; 08-25-2009 at 08:12 AM.
Old 08-25-2009, 07:08 AM

Also just noticed that we have the same bike except your side plastics have either been replaced or repainted. Second look makes a really nice custom leather tank bra that matches that bike perfect and a custom seat cover that matches it also.

Old 08-25-2009, 07:37 AM

For helmets check out HJC or Z1R, both names that I use and trust. An awesome site for cheap yet awesome gear is newenough.com, they have cheap prices and also a clerance section with just crazy steals!

Keep the mods for next year, just get to know the bike this year ... except for frame sliders, you must get frame sliders. Going down isnt a matter of if ... its a matter of when.

Old 08-25-2009, 10:38 AM
Default helmets

best bang for your buck would come from a scorpion, i work for cycle gear....im not just throwing this out there, we rank them with shoei and arai, but they come in at the price of an hjc which in my opinion is a crap helmet

Old 08-25-2009, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by sHk|HomiCide
Also just noticed that we have the same bike except your side plastics have either been replaced or repainted. Second look makes a really nice custom leather tank bra that matches that bike perfect and a custom seat cover that matches it also.

ya i guess it went down, previous owner, u can still see a couple sanding scratches in it and didnt really get that close on the paint match. has just a lil bit of scratches on the stator cover and left handle bar end. ive painted a couple cars and smaller aircraft before so i wanna get all the little bits together and probably throw a wet wet black on it to match my SS

whats that deal called where it clears up all the room under the brake light and all that. imo i think that looks horrible with the turn signals and all that.

i want to get the HID headlight and try and find some LED taillights because no one has respect for bikes, expecially these old people out here in phoenix.

also what about if i need to find a small part like the fuse panel cover??

thanks for all the info on the helmets im doing some research right now. only thing that sucks is i live in indianapolis but our hanger is out here in phoenix so i only have a couple months i will get to ride it. when i do start with some performance mods where would you reccomend i start with??

thanks again

Old 08-25-2009, 09:13 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well hate to sound all ancient here but...
  1. Find your local MSF Basic Rider's Course and take it
  2. If you're going to be riding that fast regularly, you need more than a helmet. Jacket, heavy duty gloves and at least riding jeans (not your regular Levis)
  3. Before you start modding it (and especially if you haven't worked on bikes yourself), have a professional mechanic check it as it is. No point putting pretty curtains in a renovated house if the foundation is iffy
  4. If you're going to be riding that fast regularly, when you're done with the BRC find the nearest track day. All the speed you can handle with expert instruction on how do keep the rubber side down

The kit you're talking about is a fender eliminator prolly. Several aftermarket kits availible online and a few DIY instructions here. Simple part replacements, Ebay will be your friend. Fuse box covers and such are easy to find there. Just be careful about overseas shipping. Example: I 'won' an auction for a new windscreen. $.99 cents. Paid $30 shipping from China. My girlfriend is native Chinese and told me there was about $10 worth of stamps on the package :doh:

For night riding I highly recommend finding out what your local laws are concerning motorcycle LED 'accent' kits. Here in PA, they're completely legal for helping improving visibility of the rider. Same with your gear. Black looks cool and menancing in the daylight. And can't be seen at night at all. Bright, reflective colors.

For a helmet, I picked up this AGV K3 fairly cheap. Feels comfortable for everyday riding.