CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

just got my first bike

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 08:06 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default just got my first bike

Hi all, Just got myself my first LPG set of wheels, so thought Id swing by see what tips and tricks other LPG users have. Ive just picked up an 05 Vauxhall Zafira with the factory fitted LPG option. So far Im loving it, full tank of LPG cost me £18 last night A rough calculation on last tank full and I reckon I got about 23 MPG. Any driving tips on improving this?Arfa

Old 08-26-2009, 02:45 PM

^^^^whats this guy talking about?

Old 08-26-2009, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by NAP2AZ
any recommendations on performance mods?
K&N air filter
DynoJet kit
Ignition advancer

I only have the Jet kit so far on mine but looking into the other two to get more horse power.

Old 08-26-2009, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by willduce
^^^^whats this guy talking about?
I think he is talking about the type of fuel he is using which would be Propane

Old 08-26-2009, 04:22 PM

lolz look at my sig; those are the mods I reccomend. This thing can seriously tear some **** up now. Hope you have a bagillion dollars sitting around.

You need a helmet, jacket, gloves and boots. Don't **** around with gear. Losing a thumb is far worse than breaking a leg; it's all important. Joe Rocket makes good inexpensive jackets that still have armor in them. Anything without armor is useless and you may as well just wrap yourself in dollar bills for protection. I have a pair of Alpine Star gloves that I swear were created by God himself. Boots, I dunno. I have a ****ty pair of Vega ones that protect me OK, but they're falling apart. Helmet, go with HJC or Icon. Scorpions are nice, but they fall apart. Shoei's are just junk all around; I've had TWO friend break chinstraps on a fall with Shoei's.

Last edited by johnnyx; 08-26-2009 at 04:27 PM.
Old 08-26-2009, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by bammerman
K&N air filter
DynoJet kit
Ignition advancer

I only have the Jet kit so far on mine but looking into the other two to get more horse power.
K&N's BARELY add any performance when used with a stock pipe. Don't put an ignition advancer on a CBR; you'll gain slightly less than 1 hp, and a slight amount of midrange throttle response, but you GREATLY increase wear on the engine. Very unintelligent thing to do.

Old 08-26-2009, 04:34 PM

+1 for joe rocket jacket.

i have a joe rocket jacket that i paid about $350 for, with back, shoulder, elbow, and lower arm pads in. has a removeable liner for the winter, and has about 8 zippers on it to allow airflow for the summer time. even when its 90 degrees out i'll wear it. you'll sweat a little, but once you start moving in traffic, that sweat cools you off alot with vents open. has a low collar on the back, comes about as low as a t-shirt, so your helmet wont get caught up on it / rub it.

Old 08-26-2009, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by johnnyx
K&N's BARELY add any performance when used with a stock pipe. Don't put an ignition advancer on a CBR;
Really? That Honda tech is a dumbass then for telling me I will add HP, and performance with those add ons.

Old 08-27-2009, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by bammerman
Really? That Honda tech is a dumbass then for telling me I will add HP, and performance with those add ons.
He's just reading the back of the boxes to you. Being a Honda certified tech doesn't make you all-knowing. Look at the A+ Certified computer techs that work at Best Buy. The good ones are few and far between.

You have to remember: these were initially Honda's top-end racing engines. If advancing the ignition timing was going to result in a worthwhile performance increase, they would have done it at the factory. There are no good mods for the F3 that require you to open the engine.

Old 08-27-2009, 10:59 AM

Before you go spending money on "improving/changing" the bike make a better investment on improving your skills and decision making. In it's stock form that bike already far exceeds your skills.

If you had it up to 120 mph on a public highway without every riding before that shows your decisison-making process needs an adjustment. Get the bike checked by a good tech and then invest on some good formal training and gear.

In the long run you'll become a much better rider and enjoy the bike more because you'll ba able to push it closer to its limits.