CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

just got my first bike

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 11:03 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's a fair comment. We're all assuming you're an experienced rider, and just new to CBRs. Your thread title contradicts that. If you're a *new rider* and you feel that the stock F3 doesn't have enough capability for you, then either you're doing something wrong, or the bike has serious mechanical issues. That bike can throw you right off the back of it from the line, even in stock form. The way I have mine now, I gotta latch onto the tank with my knees for dear life if I gun it from a light. A stock F3 is still a dangerous beast.

Last edited by johnnyx; 08-27-2009 at 11:28 AM.
Old 08-27-2009, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by johnnyx
There are no good mods for the F3 that require you to open the engine.
Looking at my mods to yours there isn't much of a difference other than the gearing I think other than your '07 Yamaha R6 Regulator/Rectifier, and the brandsYours:
Dynojet Stage 2 Jetkit
Yoshimura RS-3 Full Exhaust and Manifold
-1/+2 Vortex/Susprox Sprocket Swap w RK Chain

Mine:
Dynojet Stage 2 Jetkit
Erion Racing Full Exhaust and Manifold
-1/-2 Vortex Sprocket/Chain

Is your Regulator a big increase with the cooling it has compared to the Honda one that doesn't have it? Did you do any special tuning (other than the jets)? I am thinking of doing a Dyno run on mine to see if there are any kinks that the techs can work out for me.

Old 08-28-2009, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by bammerman

Is your Regulator a big increase with the cooling it has compared to the Honda one that doesn't have it?
OMFG YES!!!!!!! lol Go loo at it in my photo album and compare it to a stock one.

Originally Posted by bammerman
Did you do any special tuning (other than the jets)?
That IS special tuning, in that it takes a lot of playing around initially to get it right. You can't do much beyond that with carburetors. You can get aftermarket carburetors, but eh, you still end up with an F3. It'd be a different matter if it was 10 years ago.

Old 08-28-2009, 08:12 PM

That's a fair comment. We're all assuming you're an experienced rider, and just new to CBRs. Your thread title contradicts that. If you're a *new rider* and you feel that the stock F3 doesn't have enough capability for you, then either you're doing something wrong, or the bike has serious mechanical issues. That bike can throw you right off the back of it from the line, even in stock form. The way I have mine now, I gotta latch onto the tank with my knees for dear life if I gun it from a light. A stock F3 is still a dangerous beast.

no no dont get me wrong. the bike has more than enough "capability" for me. everything is fine with the bike. i just like to upgrade stuff from stock.

and the way i ride is an learning experience but trust me im not going to do anything out of my comfort zone. u cant learn anything from reading you just got to get out there and do it. thats when something goes bad is when you start second guessin yourself. i know i push hard on alota stuff but im a speed freak. i got an 87 monte carlo aerocoupe like they used to race in nascar with an LS6 and the world class T56 6speed which is prolly more motor than i need but i do feel alot safer and more in control with the bike imo.

that stage 2 jetkit pretty much a must have upgrade? very noticeable difference?

thanks again

Old 08-28-2009, 09:04 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by NAP2AZ
no no dont get me wrong. the bike has more than enough "capability" for me. everything is fine with the bike. i just like to upgrade stuff from stock.
Maybe its just me but I can find enough ways to visually modify the stock bike to keep me entertained while learning this bike.
and the way i ride is an learning experience but trust me im not going to do anything out of my comfort zone. u cant learn anything from reading you just got to get out there and do it. thats when something goes bad is when you start second guessin yourself. i know i push hard on alota stuff but im a speed freak. i got an 87 monte carlo aerocoupe like they used to race in nascar with an LS6 and the world class T56 6speed which is prolly more motor than i need but i do feel alot safer and more in control with the bike imo.
Difference is in the car you're surround by steel. The only thing between you and hard surfaces on a motorcycle is your gear and your skill. A car if far more forgiving of a novice. Heck, people get hurt (and killed) during the BRC.

that stage 2 jetkit pretty much a must have upgrade? very noticeable difference?

thanks again
This is my point right here. I will eventually start modding my bike, mostly things that will make it smoother while reasonably upgrading the power. But I have to get to the point where I can recognize any change in my bike just by hearing it start up.

For me that means returning it to stock, tuning it up right and tweaking it to its limits as a stock ride. I'll learn both its and my own limits during that time. And learn just where I can push things a little further.

I've already learned I love to corner, hence going from a 170 back to a 160 tire.

Old 08-31-2009, 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by willduce
^^^^whats this guy talking about?
lol...

Old 09-01-2009, 09:05 AM

VERY noticable, but INCREDIBLY time-consuming to install and tune properly. You have to take the carbs out, disassemble them, install the kit, reassemble, sync the vacuums, try the bike, then repeat over and over so you can adjust everything to exactly where you need it. In all honesty, you need access to a Dyno to do it properly, and the whole ordeal is totally worth paying a shop for if you know they'll do it right.

I really think Stage 2 is too much for the stock F3 carbs, though. Throws too much fuel into the mix, even with the needles all the way out, the wider manifold, exhaust and K&N filter. If I had it to do over again, I'd go with the stage 1. I would consider all the performance upgrades I did "must have," as they were the ones that netted the most gain. I avoided stuff like ignition advancers cuz the work:gain ratio wasn't worth it. Plus. . .it's still only an F3. Sure, it can smoke a stock F4i now, but it'll never compete with anything beyond that. Also, when I bought the bike, the PO already had the jetkit and full race exhaust installed. Buying all of that stuff now is like half the cost of another F3, so the money involved might make the whole ordeal not worth it.

Also, I'd consider the R\R swap necessary, as the Honda ones are practically guaranteed to fail. Beyond that, I personally consider the HID light a "performance" mod, as I do 80% of my riding at night through poorly-lit wooded backroads. The HID headlight was such an incredible improvement that I don't know how other night riders deal without it.

Last edited by johnnyx; 09-01-2009 at 09:19 AM.
Old 09-02-2010, 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by Kuroshio
Well hate to sound all ancient here but...
  1. Find your local MSF Basic Rider's Course and take it
  2. If you're going to be riding that fast regularly, you need more than a helmet. Jacket, heavy duty gloves and at least riding jeans (not your regular Levis)
  3. Before you start modding it (and especially if you haven't worked on bikes yourself), have a professional mechanic check it as it is. No point putting pretty curtains in a renovated house if the foundation is iffy
  4. If you're going to be riding that fast regularly, when you're done with the BRC find the nearest track day. All the speed you can handle with expert instruction on how do keep the rubber side down

Ha just browsin thru my old posts thought I would give a first season update. Good advice above. Only except I ended up getting a shoei helmet, but feel safer without it. (full face)

I am happy to say that I got her up and running good thanks to all the info here at the site. Plus I only have Internet on my phone and I finally found an app that will allow me to read PDFs for the manual. So I say thanks for the help everyone.

So far this season I've had replaced the tires and a non dealership through inspection. Then I got laid off and ended up back in Indianapolis. (just don't call me AZ2NAP, sounds funny Ha) but I ended up getting it shipped thru uship.com for $502. Long story short I had to learn to work on it myself. Couple new tools later.. New RK chain, JT -1 front stock rear sprockets, 6sigma jet kit 140 and 142.5, tore down and cleaned carbs 3 times, k&n air filter, it has aftermarket header and an r&d yosh pipe, oh and I put a fuel pump on it as it did not have one, and when replaceing the sprocket I noticed the front was a 520 clearly stamped right on it ..?? But chain and replacment was 530. Replaced cam chain tensioner CCT. And plugs and oil

Next soon projects..
-upgrade brake lines
-brake pads and bleed
- make my own carb sync tool and complete sync
- replace all Phillips screws dealing with removing carbs to nice Allen and get some new ones for my fairings
-I feel after all that I will be more comfortable to tear into some engine balancing
- I also want to fix that direct air solenoid and get that back factory operating standards, or leave it....Opinions??????

As soon as I can get a house with a garage I want to repaint it. I got my tattoo guy that wants to do this crazy lil idea with a sharpie marker. Went the smart route and doin mechanical work first but I still wanna cut out that whole turn signal setup. I did get a descent jacket and leather gloves and always jeans (oil resistant shoes +1). Been doing alot of reading in the riding skill section and I must say I feel quite connected after lots of practice mainly at night trying to do some cash work scouting repos running all around the city.

Question.. How long do these bikes last?? I just hit 38000miles

Just wanna say thanks again for all the help

Last edited by NAP2AZ; 09-02-2010 at 11:44 PM.
Old 09-03-2010, 10:07 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by trackf3
best bang for your buck would come from a scorpion, i work for cycle gear....im not just throwing this out there, we rank them with shoei and arai, but they come in at the price of an hjc which in my opinion is a crap helmet
+1 !!
I own a Scorpion EXO-400 and I love it! Oh, and it isn't that expensive either. I think I paid around 160ish for it.

Last edited by 96CBRJimmy; 09-03-2010 at 10:17 AM. Reason: LoL - I just realized how old this thread is
Old 09-03-2010, 01:01 PM

Shoei's are just junk all around; I've had TWO friend break chinstraps on a fall with Shoei's.
If they broke that easily i doubt they were in proper shape, even a cheap *** helmet isnt supposed to do that.

I have a shoei XR1100, and although i havent crash-tested it, (not planning to either) it fits better than most other helmets i've tried, also, it has some of the best ventilation around.

Also, instead of just adding more filling to adjust the size, Shoei makes 5 different shell sizes...

Shoei is definately not a discount product, on the contrary!

Check it out here:
http://www.topgearsuperstore.com/pag...lmet-new-.html