CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

issues again long post

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 09:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default issues again long post

well i my 97 f3 is now having air/fuel issues. i changed the carb boots today because the other were all cracked and torn and put a new battery on it. after i did the boot change i got everything put back together and started it up i had a bit difficulty getting it started i had to hold the throttle open and hold down the starter button for a few sec. it started and i had the throttle adjustment opened a little much it was holding steady at 3.5g and i closed it up and set it to 1.3-1.5 and it ran ok for a few sec then sputtered and died. so i started it again had to put choke on and it started. and died so i opened up the t.a. and started it again ran just fine i smeeled gas so i figured i had flooded it. then i took a ride to the gas station which is about 2 miles up the road. on the way there i stayed in 3rd and kept it rev to 8 and opened for more power it hesitated a sec and took off and hit 11g and then shut down to 7 with the throttle still opened up it did this a few times. figure its not getting enough fuel in the higher rpm. and not enough air to start. idk when i got to the gas station it died as i was pulling in so i filled it up it already had half a tank. again i had to sit an dhold the throttle open to get it to start like it was flooded.grrr it started and ran real good t othe light which is right by the station. after i took the turn to head back home it did the same thing hesitated and then tried to take off and it sputtered and slowly acclerated. made it to my moms which is about 4 blocks from my house and stopped there for about 10 mins and wen i went to leave again i had to hold the throttle open to start it. i have no clue whats going on any help pls. im kinda savy when it it come to my bike ive rebuilt one before andworked on this one remember this is a 93 with a 97 complete swap with harness and motor has a aftermarket two brothers exhaust but hasnt had the carbs adjusted that i know of. before i did this i also had the carbs diconnected from the coolent warm thing were its attached to carbs and the coolent runs through. i also dont have the little ram air thing out the front as it would not fit without some modification the the radiator.

Old 01-06-2011, 10:27 PM

to be honest it sounds like like your idle jet are clogged...

Old 01-06-2011, 10:50 PM

i didnt think of that i need to have the carbs cleaned annd adjusted probably

Old 01-07-2011, 03:08 PM

Try some carb cleaner in the tank should help for a little while.

Old 01-07-2011, 06:16 PM

carb cleaning... take your time,do it right the first time,and you enjoy it in the long run,it's not hard just time consuming,adjusting the carbs...you will have to know how to read your plugs..it's a good time to replace them while you got the tank off..you mind as well replace the air filter also...then all you have left is to replace the oil and filter....she will run like a champ again...it's your call..!!

Old 01-11-2011, 03:30 AM

Originally Posted by madkaw1
carb cleaning... take your time,do it right the first time,and you enjoy it in the long run,it's not hard just time consuming,adjusting the carbs...you will have to know how to read your plugs..it's a good time to replace them while you got the tank off..you mind as well replace the air filter also...then all you have left is to replace the oil and filter....she will run like a champ again...it's your call..!!
+1, Mechanic in a can is never as good as some good ole fashioned elbow grease... carb clean if done right should take no more than 3 hours from start to finish, and that is acounting for soak time. that, paired with a sync and you should be done inside of 4 hours.

Old 01-11-2011, 12:40 PM

Have you looked into the fuel pump? That's what it sounds like to me. Either that or improper jetting/adjustment. Either way a carb cleaning wouldn't be a bad idea. So start with that, if that still doesn't work then look to the fuel pump and setting up a gravity feed system to troubleshoot.