CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

I think I may have a problem!

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 12:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation I think I may have a problem!

Last night (monday july 11) I was out riding with a couple friends just cruising some back roads. On my way home, I noticed that when I would accelerate hard, it seemed that the tire would break loose, or the clutch would slip, but after a few trials I ruled out the clutch slip because there was no jump in RPM's as the speed would increase as well when it seemed to happen. Now today, I was riding back to work from lunch, when I noticed the same thing happening, only this time I figured out what it was. When I accelerate hard in 1st it's fine, when I hit 2nd though, then the weird part. The bike will do what I explained earlier, and this happens because it slips back down to first!?!? After a few trials with my foot away from the shifter, It will most of the time hit first, but once or twice it has hit neutral. WHAT THE HECK?!?! I am completely baffled as to why this is happening and why it came on so suddenly. My bike has 20,907 miles. Does anyone know what the problem is here? Any help is greatly appreciated.
-Frankie

Old 07-12-2011, 01:15 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So if I am understanding correctly, the bike is slipping out of gear. If this is the case, there is an issue with your transmission. Most likely the dogs on one of the counter shaft gears is worn out. Does the bike slip out of gear in any other gear?

Old 07-12-2011, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by marc0011
So if I am understanding correctly, the bike is slipping out of gear. If this is the case, there is an issue with your transmission. Most likely the dogs on one of the counter shaft gears is worn out. Does the bike slip out of gear in any other gear?
well, i know it's the trans, I'm guessing it's the 1st to 2nd shift fork being bent, because after riding it again this evening, i noticed that the shift from 1-2 and back feels a little different. I have missed 2nd several times in the past but this problem just manifest itself in the past 2 days. I'm probably just going to order the shift fork, the drum, a new shift star, 2nd gear countershaft, return spring, and the gaskets to put it all back together and return what I don't need. So i can get it done next weekend.

Old 07-13-2011, 10:21 AM

What parts do you think I'll need to replace to fix this? Is it necessary to replace everything related to second gear and the shift drum(if worn out of spec) or just the fork/second gear parts? If the whole second gear, do I need to to the second gear mainshaft and countershaft? I want to order parts for the worst scenario so I don't have to have the engine apart for any longer than it takes to replace the parts. Thanks for the input
-Frankie