CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

High pitch noise, now keeps blowing starter fuse.

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2008, 12:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High pitch noise, now keeps blowing starter fuse.

Wednesday took the bike to work on my way back home started smelling something funny. Thought it was my breathe, had garlic pizza for lunch. When I got home took off the helmet and the smell was still there and a high pitch noise come from behind the battery, then it went away. But the smell didn't, found out it was battery acid leaking.

Yesterday, start up the bike and my HID wouldn't stay on, turn the bike off and restarted it again (third time) and it stayed lit, so I rode. About 10 miles from work the bike shut off, no nothing. Checked the main fuse stillgood, but replaced it anyway., still nothing. Call the misses went and got another battery, quick charged it with the car, install it and the bike cranked for a second and the starter fuse blew. Replaced and blew again, again and again, decided to go get a pickup truck and get it home.

Got it home, found I left a wrench by the starter when I replaced the shocks. Thinking that could have shorted out the starter or the relay. They are on order and should be here by next week.

The fuse blow as soon as I turn the ignition switch on, is there anything else I should look for?

Thanks,

Old 05-30-2008, 12:27 PM
Default RE: High pitch noise, now keeps blowing starter fuse.

Make sure you didn't fry your voltage regulator. That'll give some funky mixed signals like what you're describing. But if you left a wrench in there, you might want to do some basic troubleshooting of the wire harness with an ohm meter just to make sure you're not spending money on a slew of parts that keep burning up.

Old 05-30-2008, 07:02 PM

I just recently experienced a similar problem. I was out riding and my battery blew up. It poppped two fuses. I replaced the battery, replaced the fuses, but whenever I turned on the ignition it continiously blew the ignition fuse. After some trouble shooting, found a blown relay under the dash and fried CDI box. New parts are still in shipping so HOPEFULLY that fixes MY problem.

Hope this helps some.

Old 05-30-2008, 10:20 PM

make sure ya'll are checking those regulators they are a big problem with our bike and cause battery's to pop and causes electronics to get fried, alot of us are doing this conversion to a Suzuki regulator and have no more problems see link below

https://cbrforum.com/m_199676/mpage_.../tm.htm#199676

Old 05-31-2008, 02:44 AM

this is probably not your problem and you probably already know this, but..........

You should never jump your bikes batterywitha car. It puts in way too many amps and can drastically shorten the batteries life. Your bikes battery is rated for a 30-40 amp charge max. Most cars are 100-160 amps. Its also possible to fry the internals of the battery by over charging it. This can happenin a matter of minutes. You should always charge the battery slow. A 2 amp charger is ideal.

Old 06-03-2008, 11:42 AM

Ok, found something out this morning, even with the key out of the ignition switch and I connect the battery it blow the main fuse.

This probably is a short in the battery? Well going to take the battery back and get another one and slowly charge it.

Old 06-03-2008, 01:12 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would do a continuity test to make sure the switch isn't going bad. I would check between the battery and the starter.

Old 06-05-2008, 04:32 PM

I am going to do this the weekend, really miss riding my bike.

Also when I connected the battery, it fried the clutch switch diode. I saw smoke coming from the right side of the bike (sitting on it). Looked at the diagram and the diode is wired to the starter relay. The diode and starter should be here tomorrow.

At least with the bike down, it gave me time to put on the new 7 star fairing. Now looking for a 97/98 seat, once I find that I post pictures.

Old 06-05-2008, 09:48 PM

I would lean more on a massive short in the wire harness. Prolly melted it or it's cut somewhere shorting some of the wires together. Continuity checks and a good wiring diagram will findit quickly.

Old 06-11-2008, 06:02 PM
Super Moderator
Received 496 Likes on 449 Posts

The problem you are having is a short somewhere. Its not the battery. A bad battery is just not going to give you enough amps or voltage. You can unplug everything and then connect the battery up. If it does not blow the fuse, then start plugging things back in. It should not take too long to find the problem.