CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Help with pricing.? '95.f3 ? Please give input

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 04:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with pricing.? '95.f3 ? Please give input

So i have come across this bike & am thinking about picking it up.
His asking price is 2k, but i honestly dont know. not to sound like a cheep-O' but im thinking more along the lines of $900-$1200. If im out of line let me know.
But i come to say this because of a budget im trying to stay on as well as kbb:
Trade-In Value (Good Condition) is at:$1645 ..and personally dont see it as "good condition"
http://www.kbb.com/motorcycle/trade-...cbr600f3/69633

It has 29k+ miles ...which makes me think high miles for the motor to have on it, so will it hold up for a few years? or will it just brake down on me.

It also has a racing clutch: 1 up 5 down
This guy, which i dont think is more then 21 years old comes to advertise it as a great stunk bike, where its so0o easy to pop wheelies. So im thinking he used the bike for stunts and d!ck!ng around and jus put a new front and back side to it (which i do admit has a newer feel to its look), but This raised issues of stressing the frame in my head, and other abuse the bike may or may not have taken in the past.

I have not gone to check out the bike in person yet, but plan on going soon with a friend whos been riding for years and years so im hoping he would be my eyes for the sale when there noticing anything i have not.

But i wanted to post up and get the opinion of others.
here is a pic:
Name:  95convert.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  10.3 KB

Thank you in advance,
-KNIHT`

Last edited by KNIHT`; 11-03-2009 at 04:43 PM.
Old 11-03-2009, 05:14 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When shopping for a used bike, looks should only be a priority consideration for figuring out if its been wrecked. Mods should also be disregarded in the price for the most part as well.

The bike can look sweet and have all the extras. And when you go to pull the fairing for the first time, you discover it's been plastic welded to hell from 3 lowsides. And the engine is roasted because they never properly tuned the bike for all the mods. And, no offense, but it doesn't sound like you know what all mods would do to the bike. No worries, neither do I somewhat

But where that's important is when it comes time to maintain and tune the bike. A stock bike is much easier to get and keep running correctly (a service manual will almost tell you exactly how many times to turn the screw). A simple change in the air filter means you could end up spending a couple hours (or a couple hundred $$$s) getting the A/F mix right.

I'd pass on this or talk him down to about $1200-$1500. Sounds like he was squirrely with the bike

Last edited by Kuroshio; 11-03-2009 at 05:27 PM.
Old 11-03-2009, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by Kuroshio
... no offense, but it doesn't sound like you know what any mods would do to the bike. No worries, neither do I somewhat
haha, your pretty much hit the spot on that, I don't know much about bikes at all, Cars on the other hand i can school people on. Like i stated, i will be taking my friend who is close to an amature expert on bikes and use his as my eyes, i took him to check out an 07 zx6r that was selling for 2k with bent forks up front and passed on it. This will be my first bike, and trust me the bells and wistles dont impress me, i want more of a safe ride so the condition of the bike/motor/suspention is more important to me then the looks, ide just paint it if i cared much about cosmetics or scratches on the fairings.

how long do these bikes last for? since 29k+ is on it already, whats the known area for them to brake down at? ..i read some guy had 60k on his f3 and sounded like he was giving up on it, but one of the ppl who posted in his thread was SHOCKED to hear one was so high at 60k.
Im jus looking for a first bike, something to ride for a year or so then trash and get a upgrade when i feel comfortable on the road and what not.

Old 11-03-2009, 05:29 PM

personally if it was me, i'd only offer the kid 500 bucks for the bike because a. it looks like **** with those mis-matched fairings that dont line up worth a damn. b. because he is 21 and cocky by asking 2k. and c. hes obviously stunted the hell out of it and you have NO clue what damage has been done to it.

honestly if you want a first bike, i'd recommend you get a kawi 500, they're really cheap used, with enough speed to get you in trouble, but not enough power to get you hurt (if you have a brain between those ears). it wont spin the back tire going around a corner (unless you got bald tires and its raining... trust me i know lol) and it wont bring the front up. i bought one with 9k miles for 600 bucks. good enough torque to let 1st out with no throttle, with a high rpm range around 12k.

Last edited by intiractive; 11-03-2009 at 05:35 PM.
Old 11-03-2009, 06:04 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by KNIHT`
haha, your pretty much hit the spot on that, I don't know much about bikes at all, Cars on the other hand i can school people on. Like i stated, i will be taking my friend who is close to an amature expert on bikes and use his as my eyes, i took him to check out an 07 zx6r that was selling for 2k with bent forks up front and passed on it. This will be my first bike, and trust me the bells and wistles dont impress me, i want more of a safe ride so the condition of the bike/motor/suspention is more important to me then the looks, ide just paint it if i cared much about cosmetics or scratches on the fairings.

how long do these bikes last for? since 29k+ is on it already, whats the known area for them to brake down at? ..i read some guy had 60k on his f3 and sounded like he was giving up on it, but one of the ppl who posted in his thread was SHOCKED to hear one was so high at 60k.
Im jus looking for a first bike, something to ride for a year or so then trash and get a upgrade when i feel comfortable on the road and what not.
Well they were prolly shocked because so few people properly maintain their bikes... At least they don't until they find this site. It's not the F3s but Hondas in general that are near bulletproof. They have 2 major fail points (cam chain tensioner and regulator / rectifier). But a well maintained Honda can hit 50k miles without blinking an eye. Swing by the Hurricane section and ask them how many miles they have on their 'cane

1st bike you're about to enter the 'Great Debate' of 250 v 600. I'm gonna pass on this one. But intiractive isn't wrong