CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Fuel pump problems again!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 04:24 PM
Official Welcome Crew Spicy Cat
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 02-17-2010, 05:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The thing is my buddy just gave me a used working fuel pump. I took the contacts off my old pump and put them on the other pump. I'm guessing now the problem must be with the contacts? I'm going to try and switch back the contacts and see how that works, wish me luck

I would much rather have the fuel pump working then running a tube straight to the carbs but I would also like to be able to ride my bike in this great weather!!! Plus I just picked up a one piece suit and I'm dying to hit up some twisties

Old 02-17-2010, 05:58 PM
Super Moderator
Received 496 Likes on 449 Posts

Man, I really feel for you with the problems you're having. It really sucks. Any way you can get some close up photo's of the contacts on your fuel pump. It can be tough, but on most digital cameras, there is a button or option with an icon that looks like a FLOWER. This is called MACRO or CLOSE-UP photography. It lets your camera focus closer than it normally would. That's how I get such clear close photos that I post. Give it a try if you can.

As for filing your contacts, they make a special tool for doing it. You can pick it up at most auto parts stores for a couple bucks. It might be called a BURNISHING tool. It looks like this.

If you use a standard file, you get hot spots on the contacts and they ark and spark a lot. They should fit together nicely, and this type of tool allows you to clean both contacts at the same time. You can leave the black cover off while your test riding so you can watch it work or check it out if it stops.

Old 02-17-2010, 07:44 PM

Thanks for all your help with this IDoDirt. Dare I say it out loud but ...... I think its finally fixed

I tried jumping the fuel pump with the contacts I put on there. For some reason they seemed to be sticking. They would pump but it was only a couple of times, not the constant pumping like they should be. I then put the contacts back on that came with the pump, jumped it, and it worked correctly. So I guess the problem was in the contacts. Does anyone know what would cause the contacts to stick like that?

Anyways thanks again to everyone. You have all been very helpful.

Old 05-06-2016, 04:14 PM
Unhappy Electric contacts?

Originally Posted by schroncc
When I first had these problems I ran a line from my tank to the carbs and it ran, not great, but it ran. After replacing the contacts it ran great again, so it seems like something else is going wrong in the system and that's whats confusing me.

I don't have any charging problems but could it be my r/r?

spicymeowmix, what filter are you talking about? air, oil, fuel?

What do you mean by " contacts "? are the main harness electrical connectors or pump? , I have the same problem and I 'm thinking of doing the same thing but apparently the connectors are OK, what should I do ? my bike does not turn , it appears that is the pump.