CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Fuel pump problems again!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 04:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IDoDirt has been a lot of help.

I had a buddy come over today to help me take a look at the bike. We bypassed the relay and the pump would start but not like it should, it was sticking. Then checked the relay, it worked fine. Checked the fuel filter, was not bad either.

So the pump is the problem. It seems that the diaphragm in the pump has a crack or something and it allowing gas to come into the contacts area. When I took the pump off the other day the contacts looked moist but they were not swimming in gas. The small amount of gas getting into the contact area is causing them to stick and burn up quicker.

My buddy here has an old fuel pump from an F3 that he doesn't own anymore and he's willing to give it to me for free When I get it on I will let you all know how it goes.

On the note of the fuel filters, does anyone know if you can buy them at Autozone or something like that? Anyone have a part number for it?

Thanks again to everyone

Old 02-15-2010, 05:42 PM
Official Welcome Crew Spicy Cat
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by schroncc
IDoDirt has been a lot of help.

I had a buddy come over today to help me take a look at the bike. We bypassed the relay and the pump would start but not like it should, it was sticking. Then checked the relay, it worked fine. Checked the fuel filter, was not bad either.

So the pump is the problem. It seems that the diaphragm in the pump has a crack or something and it allowing gas to come into the contacts area. When I took the pump off the other day the contacts looked moist but they were not swimming in gas. The small amount of gas getting into the contact area is causing them to stick and burn up quicker.

My buddy here has an old fuel pump from an F3 that he doesn't own anymore and he's willing to give it to me for free When I get it on I will let you all know how it goes.

On the note of the fuel filters, does anyone know if you can buy them at Autozone or something like that? Anyone have a part number for it?

Thanks again to everyone
they didn't have one for my bike,
but i used a generic one from advance auto parts that was clear and had universal fittings (different size ones that you match to your fuel line size) and it was about 10 bucks or so and worked fine so far...

ill take a pic of it for you tomorrow if i can

Old 02-15-2010, 06:24 PM
Super Moderator
Received 496 Likes on 449 Posts

Well I have a confession to make. If there is one place that I've been negligent is the fuel filter. When we got my wifes F3, it had 15K miles on it and I'm sure it hadn't had a filter put in it. It's at 49K and still hasn't had one. My F3 had 10K on it and now it's got 35K on it. Both are running great. I would imagine that most filters are made of the same thing. It's a paper filter. I believe you could use any fuel filter you wanted and it would be fine. How much dirt do you think is in gas anyway. I would bet that most stuff is caught by the screen that's on the petcock.

So, you say why don't I use a generic oil filter if they're all made of paper (most anyway). Because I don't recirculate my gas through my engine and back into my gas tank (fuel injection is a different horse). It's a one way trip. From the tank to the exhaust pipe. Oil filters have to clean a lot of stuff out of the oil so you don't damage parts. And you leave your oil in there for anywhere from 3000 to 4000 miles. Oil filters demand quality if you want your engine to last.

Just my thoughts anyway. The point I'm making here is I think any fuel filter is fine. Best price I say.

Old 02-15-2010, 10:18 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by IDoDirt
Well I have a confession to make. If there is one place that I've been negligent is the fuel filter. When we got my wifes F3, it had 15K miles on it and I'm sure it hadn't had a filter put in it. It's at 49K and still hasn't had one. My F3 had 10K on it and now it's got 35K on it. Both are running great. I would imagine that most filters are made of the same thing. It's a paper filter. I believe you could use any fuel filter you wanted and it would be fine. How much dirt do you think is in gas anyway. I would bet that most stuff is caught by the screen that's on the petcock.

So, you say why don't I use a generic oil filter if they're all made of paper (most anyway). Because I don't recirculate my gas through my engine and back into my gas tank (fuel injection is a different horse). It's a one way trip. From the tank to the exhaust pipe. Oil filters have to clean a lot of stuff out of the oil so you don't damage parts. And you leave your oil in there for anywhere from 3000 to 4000 miles. Oil filters demand quality if you want your engine to last.

Just my thoughts anyway. The point I'm making here is I think any fuel filter is fine. Best price I say.
Only thing I'd add is if you got the bike from someone that let her sit for a while (years), the filter will prolly have to go. Mine sat for 2 1/2 years and it wouldn't allow water from a faucet to pass through it. The pump pulled it through. But it was almost completely blocked

Old 02-16-2010, 07:51 AM
Super Moderator
Received 496 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by Kuroshio
Only thing I'd add is if you got the bike from someone that let her sit for a while (years), the filter will prolly have to go. Mine sat for 2 1/2 years and it wouldn't allow water from a faucet to pass through it. The pump pulled it through. But it was almost completely blocked
Yes, that would be true. A fuel varnish coating could easily clog that filter. Good point.

Old 02-16-2010, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by IDoDirt
Yes, that would be true. A fuel varnish coating could easily clog that filter. Good point.
i thought my bike was acting up as well do to small things, and this i thought was one of them... turns out my bike was just jealous of my girlfriend and wanted some riding time.

Old 02-16-2010, 08:31 PM
July 2012 Ride of the Month

Another tip is use a clear fuel line. From the fuel filter to the pump for example (thats what I did when I was having pump issues)

So now I can actually see the gas pumping through.

Old 02-16-2010, 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by Konamtbdjc
Another tip is use a clear fuel line. From the fuel filter to the pump for example (thats what I did when I was having pump issues)

So now I can actually see the gas pumping through.
yea a clear filter and clear fuel line help tons

Old 02-17-2010, 02:15 PM

Well I got the "new" pump yesterday, replaced the contacts from my old pump to the "new" pump, and got everything hooked up last night. She started right up and I rode her around the block a few times. Thought all was well untill today when I went to start her with the choke on she only got up to around 2K RPM (usally around 3K w/ choke on), sputtered, and died.
I have a feeling my contacts are sticking. Before I put them on I tried to file them down the best I could. Is there a better way to clean the contacts? I'm getting pretty upset with this pump, about to just run a straight tube to my carbs cause I want to get back to riding.
You guys think I should just cough up the money for a new pump?

Old 02-17-2010, 03:59 PM
July 2012 Ride of the Month

Originally Posted by schroncc
Well I got the "new" pump yesterday, replaced the contacts from my old pump to the "new" pump, and got everything hooked up last night. She started right up and I rode her around the block a few times. Thought all was well untill today when I went to start her with the choke on she only got up to around 2K RPM (usally around 3K w/ choke on), sputtered, and died.
I have a feeling my contacts are sticking. Before I put them on I tried to file them down the best I could. Is there a better way to clean the contacts? I'm getting pretty upset with this pump, about to just run a straight tube to my carbs cause I want to get back to riding.
You guys think I should just cough up the money for a new pump?
me, personally, i would buy a new pump... even though they are really expensive and i HATE spending money.... but i also know the feeling when your bike isnt working right... trust me... my fuel pump left me stranded one hour from home one time in springfield, mass not the best place to get stranded, then the tow guy cracked my fairings and it was just a long night in general...
but i ended up getting a used one from the honda shop for eighty (and thats when I put clear lines in) and im hoping it wont leave me stranded this season
But my friend that used to have a F3 found one on ebay for sixty i think, and his bike worked fine so maybe look there?? Good luck.

Quick Reply: Fuel pump problems again!!