CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

float valves???

Old 10-03-2011, 11:01 PM
Super Moderator
Received 496 Likes on 449 Posts

The only way it could get to that filter is through item #18.

That hose from #18 splits and goes to the white "T" fitting in between Carburetors 3 & 4 seen here and 1 & 2 at the very left of this image.

That is the vent for atmospheric pressure for the upper half of the float chambers. I think you've clearly got something that's keeping the float valve open. Revving it really high isn't going to drain the bowls fast enough to cause them to drop dramatically. However if the fuel supply was having issues, then the floats would go abnormally low, and potentially getting stuck somehow. Well, let us know what happens.

Old 10-04-2011, 12:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just started it up today, seemed fine but started leaking as soon as i put it in gear and moved to the end of the driveway. as far as i can tell gas is actually coming up out of the carbs now, either 1 or 2, i believe 2 though, it was coming up into the air box, i took the airbox off and the number 2 was the only one that was wet where the bells sit in the airbox.

i've got a couple things to do today but I'll be taking the carbs off this afternoon i'll be sure to take some pictures to post, just plan on inspecting the float movement and cleaning out the seat again. but i'll keep you updated.

Old 10-04-2011, 12:44 PM
Super Moderator

As I mentioned before, the scotchbrite pads leave little bits behind. Make sure after, that you run carburetor cleaner through the fuel passage way in the direction of fuel flow so it cleans out anything left behind. Did you separate the carburetors from each other on the rails ?

Old 10-04-2011, 05:27 PM

i separated them when i cleaned the carbs, then had them sync'd at a shop. when i went back in just recently to clean the valve seats i did not separate them again. from what i understand they need to be resync'd after being separated? that would make sense to me, and i don't want to pay to redo that unless absolutely necessary.

i will clean everything i can out when i take them off later, and blow them out ect ect, let you know how it goes.

Old 10-04-2011, 11:32 PM
Super Moderator

I know this is your first bike, and I'm sure money is tight. I don't know what you paid to have your carburetors sync'd but I suspect more than this tool, or at least close to it. I also have a feeling that this bike of yours is going to be one in a long list of bikes that you'll own in your lifetime. Consider it an investment. I use this one, it's well worth it. Then you don't have to worry about having to split the carburetors ever again.

Carburetor Synchronization Tool

Old 10-05-2011, 04:00 PM

Its only 100$? Yeah I think they charged me 1,5 or 2 hours labor on the sync so yeah it was around 150 bucks. I haven't read through syncing procedure is it easy to do yourself?

Old 10-05-2011, 04:01 PM

Oops also meant to ask do you think I need to do a complete pull apart cleaning on the carbs for this problem?

Old 10-05-2011, 08:20 PM

okay so ive got the carbs out on my bench, pulled the pilot screws because i had gas around the top of #4 which didnt look good. pull it out and my o ring is disintegrated and clogged up in the hole! not sure if this is related/cause but definetly not good! can i try and replace this o ring from the store...? i am also missing a washer on number 3. as far as the floats go, they still look brand new (because they are) and the seats seem free of any obstruction.

Old 10-05-2011, 10:32 PM
Super Moderator

Here's the Sets needed to rebuild the carburetors. You're not going to find them in the local hardware store. The larger set has the one you need, the smaller is for the Air Cut Valve which is on 2 of the carburetors. It has the black hose attached to it. I'm not sure you'll find a washer that small either, but doesn't hurt to look. Unfortunately, the washer only comes with item #6 here which is the idle screw, spring, washer and O ring. But the bright side is it's less than the gasket kit which is item #2.

Name:  DSC04768.jpg
Views: 752
Size:  70.8 KB

Old 10-05-2011, 11:45 PM

Okay ill get on ordering that in the morning. Do you think that was the cause of the problem or is there likely something wrong with my floats as well?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: float valves???