CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

float valves???

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2011, 05:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Update: installed new starter relay and fuel petcock. Bike seems to be running perfectly, rode it for about 20 minutes with no fuel leaking problem. Hopefully its good now, ill post up if it starts acting up again.

Old 10-01-2011, 06:47 PM
Super Moderator
Received 496 Likes on 449 Posts

Well, congratulations ! That's great news. You've been working on this bike for several months now. I'm sure you're learned a lot along the way. Well, it will be a short riding season for you this year, but during the winter you can work on some of the cosmetic things in anticipation of a great riding season next year.

Enjoy...

Old 10-02-2011, 01:41 PM

Thanks Dirt, and everyone else who has helped me along the way. It has indeed been quite an up and down process but if i could go back and buy a running bike, i would still have made the same choice. I've learned so much about these bikes in the last couple months that I never would have known buying a running bike. +1 to fixing it up yourself!

The best news is I've got a solid two weeks off work! I'm taking it slow and have 3 good friends to ride with, unfortunately the riding classes are over for the season so I'll have to wait til spring to sign up for one, but it's the first thing on my list! Thanks again everyone!

EDIT: MSF course till the end of october! will be signing up for it tomorrow, hopefully its still open and the weather is good!

Last edited by detroitcbr; 10-02-2011 at 04:15 PM. Reason: new info!
Old 10-02-2011, 03:51 PM
Senior Member & tensioner mod inventor ROTM WINNER FEB 2013

Superb diagnosis Bill, as usual.
Detroit, do you know how lucky you are to have this man helping you out here?
Good luck. There's nothing I can add to what's been said so far except that new batteries are not always new. If you think there may be a problem with that shiny new lump of plastic and lead, take it back to the dealer and have them test it. Not the first time this has been a suspicion.

Old 10-02-2011, 04:56 PM
Super Moderator

Hey, thanks for the nod Henry, but really its a group effort here. I don't deserve any more credit than the next rider. Have fun with your class. Since you're paying for it, make the most of it. Listen to what the instructor says, and if what he says doesn't make sense, make'em explain it until it does. It's your life out there and riding is an acquired skill. One that you really want to be proficient at. OK, I'll get off my soap box now.

Old 10-02-2011, 05:07 PM
Senior Member & tensioner mod inventor ROTM WINNER FEB 2013

Yes you do Bill! Group therapy it may be but credit where credit's due. People sometimes forget the little sacrifices.

Old 10-03-2011, 05:04 PM

short lived success. float is stuck again, gas coming out of the air vent overflow line and won't idle.

recapping whats done already:

brand new float valves

cleaned float valve seats

carbs have been cleaned

new petcock

new fuel filter/fuel lines

fuel pump works

two thoughts, float levels are off due to warped floats, or something has clogged in the float chamber.

I'll tear out the carbs and take pictures of the floats, reclean everything and see what anyone thinks about replacing the floats.

Fun while it lasted!
thanks in advance

Old 10-03-2011, 05:18 PM
Super Moderator

Well, don't give up. I really don't think that there is anything wrong with the floats themselves, but the photo's will help.

Where exactly are you able to see the fuel coming out from ? Can you post photos of that ? Maybe point to it in the photo. Are you familiar with the Macro feature on digital cameras ? It often will look like a Flower or something like that. It's used for taking close-up images in sharp focus. Like I did on the photo's above.

Old 10-03-2011, 06:05 PM

yeah i'll take a photo.

it's coming out of it but here it is for now on the fiche..

Old 10-03-2011, 06:44 PM

okay so i started the bike, reved it up pretty good and when i let of it levels off to idle perfect, run it at idle for about 5 minutes, with some light throttle here and there to see if it starts leaking, nothing. so i just zipped around the block and its running fine again.

i'm wondering if maybe when i rev'd it high it open the float back up but i'm not exactly sure how that would happen?? either way i need to diagnois and fix this problem so i dont get stranded somewhere. when it happened earlier i was able to limp the bike home but wasnt the best experience!

Quick Reply: float valves???