CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Doh! Camshafts

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 05:11 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

if there is any doubt that your timing is right on, then turn the motor over by hand first. valves will have a less of a chance of bending if turned by hand. if it turns over smooth, crank it up. if you have the bike on a rear stand, just put it in like 3rd gear and roll the wheel.

dont forget to take it out of gear before you hit it with the starter.

Old 02-08-2012, 09:41 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I checked with a screwdriver just to be sure and I was at the correct tdc well worth the time to be on the safe side as you mentioned.

I put everything back together last night and tried to fire her up, my battery was not doing so well as the bike was cranking very slowley, i measured the compression and in cyl 1 it was registering a max of 150 while trying to cold crank the bike.

I let the battery charge for about an hour and then attempted to start her again. This time the bike roared to life almost immediatly.

The bike then quickly started to increase in rpms. It hit about 6k rpms before i hit the kill switch Through some searching in this forum i found that one of the reasons this can happen is when your throttle cables are not secured to the carb. Indeed this was my case.

I then proceeded to hold the throttle closed and attempted to start the bike, when holding the throttle closed (and messing with the idle adjust) the bike sounded like she wanted to start but would not).

I pulled off the air box and secured the throttle cables and called it a night as it was getting a little late.

I beleive i have some air/fuel mixture screw adjustments as i intended to change it before i put the carbs back on and in haste forgot.

The dyno jet kit says that the air/fuel mixture should be 1/2 turn out although multiple posting state that even with the dyno jet stage 1 kit in you should still set this adjustment closer to the factory 2 1/8 turns.

Several questions:
1) I beleive based on the previously mentioned conditions that i need more fuel in the carbs. My air/mix fuel screw is currently 1 turn out. I intend to set this to 1.5 turns out. is my thought process correct here?

2) Do I have to pull the carbs again or is it possible to adjust with a nubby screwdriver (i cut slots in screws already) or with a right angled tool? or is it best just to pull the carbs again?

When she did start up i did not hear any crunching or tapping noises and she came right to life with minimal cranking, Im so close i can taste it, sweet sweet victory is only a day away

Old 02-08-2012, 09:55 AM

I think you would do ok at 1.5 turns out. as far as pulling carbs to do this: I have tried like you are saying with a small screw driver and never had any luck getting them set right.

But to start with I would just fix the cables, start the bike and work the rpms with the Idle screw. Most of the time first start up after you have done the work you have, you need to give it some gas as you crank the motor, once she fires just work the Idle screw to not let it jump more the 2500, once it fully warms up and fan has kicked on once or twice work the rpms back down to around 1200. Then you should be good to go.

First start up before everything is fine tuned is a bit of a trail and error.

But you can't fully tune the idle rpm in until you have the bike all together and go ride it for about 10 mins.

GLAD SHE FIRED!!!!

Old 02-08-2012, 10:02 AM

ok so ill leave her at 1 turn for now and give her a little throttle and see how she does.

Thanks for your dedication and "rediculiously quick" responses to help me out.

Old 02-08-2012, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by Riza
ok so ill leave her at 1 turn for now and give her a little throttle and see how she does.

Thanks for your dedication and "rediculiously quick" responses to help me out.

My tv broke, and I'm off for the week at work. So I'm pretty much on this site constantly till my new replacement tv comes in the mail. (Don't buy a Vizio tv)

Being a HVAC service tech I have to take vacation during the winter because summer is busy season.

Old 02-08-2012, 06:39 PM

No dice, after locking down throttle cables she wont start up, Im sure my battery isnt helping this fact as i cant crank it for more than a few seconds before it drops down low on voltage.

With no headlight load:
Battery: 13.3 top end with charger hooked up
Drops to 8.5 while cranking for more than a few seconds.

Ill charge it up for a bit and try again later.. setting air/mix fuel is next :P

the more i turn the idle adjust *** clockwise the more she sounds like she wants to start.

Bike - YouTube

Last edited by Riza; 02-08-2012 at 06:45 PM.