CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

carb-sync tool

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 03:02 AM
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: carb-sync tool

Bill...that's a great idea I might do the same next time I balance mine :-)

Jules

Old 07-20-2009, 11:07 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to bring back an older thread, but I'm wondering how carb balancing is actually done.

Does anyone have a video with step by step instructions on doing a carb sync (on F3)??

I've some minor (but annoying) stuttering at lower rpms. My carbs are spotless, but while cleaning, I noticed 2 & 3 were dirtier than 1 & 4.

Once the carb sync tool is hooked up, how do you actually adjust the flow? Is it something attached to the tool that adjust things?

Sorry for the lack of knowledge. I'd like to balance it out, but definitely don't want to have to remove the carbs.

Old 07-20-2009, 10:53 PM
Super Moderator
Received 496 Likes on 449 Posts

Hey, no problem binging up this old thread. It was a funny one, and I enjoyed poking some fun at Jules.

Sorry I don't have a video to show, and you don't have to remove the carbs to sync them. I just took advantage of the fact that I was cleaning mine to add some extensions to the fittings to make it easier in the future.

As for what's going on when you sync, you're trying to balance the air flow through each of the carburetors, so that in theory each cylinder is producing the same amount of power. On each intake stroke of the piston, a vacuum is created behind carburetor which draws in air and fuel into the cylinder. How much air and fuel is determined in part by how much of a restriction there is in the passage way through the carbs. The throttle, or butterfly plate as it's sometimes refered to controls how much restriction there is. 3 of the carbs are able to be adjusted, #3 is not. Thats the one that you balance all the other to.

With the vacuum hoses attached to the ports on the intake manafold, you start the engine, and let it warm up. Once warmed up, you look at the guages. You will adjust carbs 1 and 2 so that the guage reads the same between them, and then adjust 3 and 4 to each other. The last adjustment balances 1 and 2 as a set to 3 and 4 as a set. This brings all of them together in sync with each other.

Synchronizing carburetors affects idle smoothness, and low end throttle response. Mid range and high RPM won't really be affected due to how far the throttle is opened. The differrences get lost in the mix...

Hope this helps you understand a little.