CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

carb-sync tool

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 01:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default carb-sync tool

I was wondering were i could get a carb-sync tool for my 98 Honda F3. My bike is idleing rough, seems to be uneven alomst. i get a backfire when i let of the throttle. was wondering if you guys had any suggestions

Old 03-11-2008, 05:37 PM
Super Moderator
Received 496 Likes on 449 Posts
Default RE: carb-sync tool

Last year I purchased a Morgan CarbtuneProand I'm very happy with it. It uses polished metal rods inside the glass tubes instead of mercury. Nothing to worry about when storing it or having the localHASMAT team come visit if you drop it. It works well, I've used it on 3 separate occasions. It's not the cheepest model out there, but considering you'll have it fora long time, I think it's worth the investment.

Old 03-12-2008, 09:58 AM
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I use these but mine are a set of 4...

My tickover was lumpy and up to about 2-3000rpm...it was especially annoying trickling through traffic at low speed because of the rev range...once I'd balanced them it was perfect...trundling at 2000 rpm without the slightest lumpiness...so smooth...I highly recommned carb balancing :-)

Old 03-12-2008, 03:28 PM

Juliet... I wish you lived close to me and could help me out with sync my carbs... Mine is lumpy when at idle and before 3k rpm. She would sound so nice if she was balanced. But at my current state, I have no money for those stuffs... unless someone locally wants to help me out? =P

-Jasper

Old 03-12-2008, 05:56 PM
Super Moderator

That's a mighty fine set you've got there Juliet !!

Sorry, couldn't resist...

Old 03-13-2008, 03:22 AM
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: jahnaboi

Juliet... I wish you lived close to me and could help me out with sync my carbs... Mine is lumpy when at idle and before 3k rpm. She would sound so nice if she was balanced. But at my current state, I have no money for those stuffs... unless someone locally wants to help me out? =P
-Jasper
It's a shame I'd be happy to help out...I find carb balancing tricky but kinda therapeutic...I love watching the needles get closer to synch as I adjust the carbs in turn...then next thing you're there, all needles moving up simultaneously and the engine just purrrs...nice! :-)
If you can borrow a set I'd be happy to send you a detailed "how to" :-)

ORIGINAL: idodirt

That's a mighty fine set you've got there Juliet !!

Sorry, couldn't resist...
There's SIX there...what you think I am, a cow??...lol...cheeky monkey! ;-)

Old 03-13-2008, 12:25 PM
Super Moderator

Well of course not...., you said you had 4. But I think that's still impressive though.

Old 03-13-2008, 12:53 PM

anybody know how much it would roughly cost to get my carbs cleaned and sync'd at a local bike shop.....like a "tune-up" anybody know???? I dont have theproper equipment to do it.......and i need to get it done this sping/summer.

.....if anybodys had it done.....what was the rough price.....thanks!!!!

Old 03-13-2008, 01:01 PM

ORIGINAL: greenkayak

I was wondering were i could get a carb-sync tool for my 98 Honda F3. My bike is idleing rough, seems to be uneven alomst. i get a backfire when i let of the throttle. was wondering if you guys had any suggestions
I usethe motion Pro sync tool, the one that uses mercury.

It's a very good tool that runs around $40 dollars at any bike shop that sellsmotorcycle accessories.

If you have $150 bucks to drop get thedial guageunit it's a much better tool and you don't have to worry about dropping it and cleaning up spilled mercury.

BTW sync the carbs with the air box plate attached to the carbs, if you don't when youre install the plate it throws the carbs
out ofbalance again.

SIRR1

Old 03-13-2008, 10:45 PM
Super Moderator

I don't know anyone that's paid to have their carbs cleaned. I wouldn't mind knowing how much I'm saving though.

One thing I did the first time I synch'd my carbs was to permanently install some plugged hoses onto the intake ports that are long enough to reach the left side of the bike. This way I can easily connect the synch tool up without having to struggle getting it attached. Just pull the side covers and plug in my hoses. Each hose is the same length and routed up near the petcock. The #1 cylinder is not left on because it's readily accessable when you take the lower's off. The red circles are where I've got the hoses attached, and the oval circle is the ends of the hoses, where their plugged with screws. The little white pieces are unions for connecting the carb sync tool to.The first time I do my '98 F3 I'll do the same to it as well.

This photo was taken while I had the carbs off for cleaning.
Name:  DSC02913.jpg
Views: 1225
Size:  64.6 KB

Quick Reply: carb-sync tool