CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Cam chain Tensioner?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 10:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cam chain Tensioner?

Just to clarify with people that know there stuff when it comes to problems with the CCT, does this sound like the culprit?

I have a CBR600 F3 1996 US non CA version

when I start the engine I get no real rattling noise, ill let the bike warm up abit then ill go a mile or two down the road, and the first time I pull up at a set of lights and put the bike into neutral I get a rattling sound. when I hold the clutch leaver in (still in neutral) the noise goes away and when I release the lever the noise comes back. when I put the bike into gear and pull off I cant hear anything at first but if im on a quite road at low speed and low gear i can hear a faint sound.

cam chain tensioner? or barking up the wrong tree?

look forward to your replys!

Old 10-14-2011, 03:13 AM

Hmm, my cam chain noise is only when I start the bike and its real cold. A few minutes of running/warming up and it is gone. You say the noise goes away when the clutch is pulled, but returns when let out; does it always happen? Every stoplight? or is it intermittent? I would be suspecting somewhere in the clutch may be your problem. How many miles on the bike? How long have you owned it? Has it always made this noise? Sorry for all the questions, but it never hurts to know too much when diagnosing a prob.

Old 10-14-2011, 05:47 AM

clutch rattle, perfectly normal, well unless its excessively loud.

Old 10-14-2011, 08:49 AM

If it goes when you pull the clutch in I'd suspect the clutch first. As said if quiet I wouldn't worry - if it's the clutch.

Old 10-14-2011, 01:06 PM

Thanks for the awnsers peeps!

Originally Posted by 4ws.ba4 F3
Hmm, my cam chain noise is only when I start the bike and its real cold. A few minutes of running/warming up and it is gone. You say the noise goes away when the clutch is pulled, but returns when let out; does it always happen? Every stoplight? or is it intermittent? I would be suspecting somewhere in the clutch may be your problem. How many miles on the bike? How long have you owned it? Has it always made this noise? Sorry for all the questions, but it never hurts to know too much when diagnosing a prob.
in awnser to your questions mate, yeah when ever I pull the clutch in all the noise goes away the time every time. it isnt an intermittent noise in the sense of once the bikes warmed up the noise is there when ever the clutch is out. I should stress though it is not a very loud noise. I geuss its just sensitive ears! the bike has done 19000 miles and i have owned the bike since august so i have only dun about 6 or 700 of them miles.

Old 10-20-2011, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by stealthnet2004
Thanks for the awnsers peeps!

in awnser to your questions mate, yeah when ever I pull the clutch in all the noise goes away the time every time. it isnt an intermittent noise in the sense of once the bikes warmed up the noise is there when ever the clutch is out. I should stress though it is not a very loud noise. I geuss its just sensitive ears! the bike has done 19000 miles and i have owned the bike since august so i have only dun about 6 or 700 of them miles.
I have exactly the same problem that as soon as the bike warms up this tick tick sound starts to come out of the right side and then does not go away and as soon as one accelerates it goes away but when downshifting and letting off the throttle it re-appears... and yes when in neutral pulling the clutch also takes away that noise... if you have found a solution please share so that i can take care of the problem my self... blew up a sweet engine two weeks back and bought this engine but worried if anything bad will happen if i go on a long ride...