CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

cam chain adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 11:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cam chain adjustment

Can someone give me a run down of adjusting a cam chain? I have an ape tensioner and belive it to be alittle loose, thanks guys

Old 06-25-2009, 12:43 AM

Originally Posted by Hershey
So your bike is making a funny sound is it?

The intention of this thread is to clean up the F2 section of the never dying CCT reposts.

Almost all Honda’s have a few common shortcomings in their design, some of these include charging systems and most commonly the Hydraulic Cam Chain Tensioner (commonly referred to as the CCT).

This tensioner is actuated by oil pressure, and while it is a great concept it is prone to failure.

The most common evidence of a failing CCT is a prominent rattle or ticking noise coming from the right side of the engine on a cold start (often mistaken for a noisy valve train), and the noise will go away when the engine reaches operating temperature and oil pressure is revived.

A completely seized CCT will always rattle.

In most cases replacing the old CCT with a new OEM hydraulic tensioner will yield unfathomable frustration when you go through the trouble of buying and replacing it - and the damn thing STILL rattles.

The BEST way to cure the problem is to purchase an “APE” manual CCT found on Ebay and other online retailers for about $50-70. You can also try your local dealership, but expect to pay more.

INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS:

Step 1: Remove right side tail fairing and right side lower fairing

Step 2: Locate the OEM CCT

Step 3: Remove black engine mount bracket if obstructing access

Step 4: Remove the 2 bolts securing the CCT to the engine

Step 5: If equipped with a steel gasket, clean gasket and save. If a paper gasket is present, scrape off gasket material being careful not to drop any into the opening or damage the gasket surface.

Step 6: Back the tensioner bolt all the way out on your new APE manual CCT, and apply a dab of white lithium grease or assembly lube to the end of the bolt.

Step 7: Install the new CCT and steel gasket or new paper gasket and secure it with the 2 bolts from the OEM CCT.

Step 8: Thread the tensioner bolt in FINGER TIGHT until your fingers cannot turn it any further (never use a wrench for this step)

Step 9: Lock the tensioner with the lock nut

Step 10: With the transmission in neutral and a cold engine, start the bike up

Step 11: If the rattle is present, unlock the lock nut and thread the tensioner clockwise until the noise is gone, then thread clockwise ¼ turn further

Step 11B: If the rattle is no longer present when engine is first started, unlock the lock nut and turn the tensioner counter-clockwise until the noise returns, then thread clockwise until no longer present and ¼ further

Step 12: Lock the lock nut, turn off the bike and put fairings back on.

Did a little search for ya

Old 06-25-2009, 06:22 AM

thanks man!

Old 06-25-2009, 02:49 PM

I don't know for sure if thats what it is or not i noticed a funny noise around 3k. just a random guess.