CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

bye bye slow jet...

Old 12-26-2008, 09:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bye bye slow jet...

In the process of extracting the 4th slow jet of the day's carb cleaning, it broke when loosening it with the flat head screw driver. The other 3 came out easily but this one is mighty stubborn.

I just went out and bought a screw extractor tool and began torqueing it in. It turns out that now that it has stopped inside the brass jet, any tool i use to turn it is just stripping or trying to strip the square end of the extractor.

I now plan on heating up the aluminum surrounding this jet so that it can come out with the extractor.

Has this happened to anyone? And where can I purchase just one of these #40 slow jets?

update: "lifetime warranty" extractor bit from Pep Boys has now broken off inside the brass jet, even though the aluminum was heated a ton.

Now on to drilling the extractor tip and try again....

Old 12-27-2008, 12:19 AM
Default RE: bye bye slow jet...

if you can get the extractor out, use some penetrating oil like PB blaster or Kroil, and let that stuff soak into the area around the jet, then use another extractor tool, with the proper handle to twist it, and you should be able to remove it alright.

I had to use a #1 extractor bit on my 87's jets to get one out, might have been two that I needed to remove like that, but it worked with some finessing and a lot of cussin.

Old 12-27-2008, 12:25 AM

I wish penetrating oil would work in this case but it's in there so outrageously tight that even chizzling it a bit wont vibrate it loose.

I've used a variety of material drill bits to chew away at the piece of extractor in there and i'm making progress. I will continue later on with the drilling and see if i can use the rest of the extractor to get this dang jet out of there. I simply cannot imagine why it is in there so tight. The other 3 were spot on easy to unscrew.

Old 12-27-2008, 12:38 AM

its not that its so much TIGHT in there, as fuel has kinda managed to creep in between the jet and the carb body and turn into something that acts like a glue of sorts. you may want to get a can of carb dip solution, and strip the rubber parts off the carb, then soak it in that stuff overnight.

Old 12-27-2008, 12:46 AM

I've been continuously spraying carb cleaner jet spray in where the threading begins to no avail.

If I didn't know that this jet could come out, i would of guessed that the brass was welded to the aluminum casing. It's like it has been sealed with an illegally powerful form of glue or something. And i'm sure it either hasn't ever been touched, or it's been overtightened. All the jets are stock numbers..

Old 12-27-2008, 01:28 AM

the spray carb cleaner isnt strong enough to dissolve the crap in there. the cleaner I'm talking about is a dip solution that comes in a gallon can like paint. you literally dip the carburetor in it, and let it sit in this stuff overnight. my buddy has a can of it he uses for cleaning god only knows how many things, and its amazing stuff.

Old 12-27-2008, 02:06 AM

At this point, i can only dip it in lava to get it to come out.

The length of extractor bit that's in there is acting like a wedge now...

any idea where i can purchase just this one jet? Once i get it/fragments out i just need to replace it and the bike can ride

Old 12-27-2008, 08:54 AM
Super Moderator
Received 496 Likes on 449 Posts

There are plenty of places to buy the jet. Here's the part number for the #40 Slow Jet 99103-MT2-0400. It'll cost you between $7 and $10 to buy. I hope you're able to get it out without damaging the body of the carburetor. It's used in over 20 models from Honda. Ronayers.com would be a good starting place.

Old 12-27-2008, 12:37 PM

ORIGINAL: idodirt

There are plenty of places to buy the jet. Here's the part number for the #40 Slow Jet 99103-MT2-0400. It'll cost you between $7 and $10 to buy. I hope you're able to get it out without damaging the body of the carburetor. It's used in over 20 models from Honda. Ronayers.com would be a good starting place.
Thanks for the reply in here as well.

I'm going to do some more work on this jet today and hope it'll finally come out in some way or another. It's the only thing holding me back from riding the bike on fresh carbs! (and i'd still need to have a new jet shipped [:'(]).

I;ve called about7 honda dealers in NJ/NY just now and none have this part in stock.

Will this work?:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/40-JE...spagenameZWD1V

Old 01-02-2009, 06:22 PM

I had to have custom made carbide drill bits to drill out the extractor bit's tip that was stuck in the brass jet. With these bits and a friend who is a machine shop worker, the jet finally got drilled through the center and then chizzled out. The threads were cleaned with a 6 X .75mm threading tool.

New jet came in from honda dealer and it went in nicely. Lots of work for something so small...

- thanks for the part number - idodirt