Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

need a little help with my slow a$$

Old 04-27-2007, 02:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need a little help with my slow a$$

so last night i was out riding with my group when we encounterd this road called roller coaster road.. the speed limit on it is 25.i ran it at like 30 -35 it is only a half mile .. but while ridding i felt sluggish and slow unable to really conner.. so we went on to some other spots and i was dead last every single time .. so i have come to the fact i am slow! .. so i want to get better .. so first things is i am going to up my saddle time to 2-3 times a week out ridding. i figure more time in the saddle would just make me trust her more. second is i want to do some reading on connering .. i have read in a couple post that i should check out twist of the wrist 1 and 2 and the videos i have ordered the book and dvd of vol 1 ... and am thinking about getting the soft science of road racing.. is there anything else i can do to help with this ? also i am looking into a the msf course .. but i kinda thought that it was for beginnners. am i wrong can it benfit me ? i have been ridding for 6 years but it was over a period of 20 years and 4 different bikes. i just want to get better not for anybody but for me ! .. sorry for the long story any help would be great ! thank in advance

Big Mark

Old 04-27-2007, 02:12 PM
Default RE: need a little help with my slow a$$

No shame in being slow. I'm slow on the fastest bike I want to bring myself and the bike home in one piece everytime.

But yeah, get twist of the wrist vol 2, it's better than vol 1. 1 is more race oriented.

Old 04-27-2007, 02:40 PM

ORIGINAL: mkhaynesaz

so last night i was out riding with my group when we encounterd this road called roller coaster road.. the speed limit on it is 25.i ran it at like 30 -35 it is only a half mile .. but while ridding i felt sluggish and slow unable to really conner.. so we went on to some other spots and i was dead last every single time .. so i have come to the fact i am slow! .. so i want to get better .. so first things is i am going to up my saddle time to 2-3 times a week out ridding. i figure more time in the saddle would just make me trust her more. second is i want to do some reading on connering .. i have read in a couple post that i should check out twist of the wrist 1 and 2 and the videos i have ordered the book and dvd of vol 1 ... and am thinking about getting the soft science of road racing.. is there anything else i can do to help with this ? also i am looking into a the msf course .. but i kinda thought that it was for beginnners. am i wrong can it benfit me ? i have been ridding for 6 years but it was over a period of 20 years and 4 different bikes. i just want to get better not for anybody but for me ! .. sorry for the long story any help would be great ! thank in advance

Big Mark

If the speed limit is 25 mph, and you are going 25 mph. Then I would say you are going at a good speed.

Old 04-27-2007, 02:40 PM

And you are most likely in too high of a gear. Drop it down one and try that.

Old 04-27-2007, 02:44 PM

ORIGINAL: KingMushroom

And you are most likely in too high of a gear. Drop it down one and try that.
Yeah! I never leave first! HAHA!

Old 04-27-2007, 02:54 PM

Some reading may be helpful. It certainly can't hurt. But I wouldn't start with Keith Code. He's the most awful author. You'll read paragraphs 10 or 20x over and still wonder what the f*ck he's trying to say. Plus, it has these stupid excerpts on the sides that add no value to the text.

Read Sportbike Riding Techniques by Nick Ientasch first. Its better written, much clearer, and easier to understand. Plus, its more applicable to the street. Then if you decide to read Code's books, it'll be a little easier.

Old 04-27-2007, 03:35 PM

Just ride more. If ur riding only once a week, thats gonna always be a problem no matter what book u read or what movie u watch. Second, go over that same road a couple times during your ride. For the first week, just get the turns down, look at the road, see if there are any spots to watch out for. Second week, try to increase ur speed a lil bit each time. This will cause u to lean your bike over more, and if u dont u will learn the hard way lol. Honestly, u could probably do that 25mph road at least 45mph if u practice. I wouldnt try to go much faster just for the sake of a cager comin on u. Practice practice practice. I used to have the same problem on a 35mph road and now i run it at at least 60 and nice and smooth the whole time. U will get it down, just dont forget to wear your gear.

Old 04-27-2007, 03:46 PM

i ride all week long but its just to work and home so its a 15 min each way .. i know that nearly enough time on the bike to get better.. you guys are right just more time in the saddle should help. but i keep hearing people talking about line of sight and all that jazz and well its kinda greek to me i just want to ride better . the better i ride the better chance i got to get away from a bad situation

Old 04-27-2007, 03:57 PM

spend the cash for a few track days. It'll teach you how to handle and your bike at higher speeds as well as much more agressive cornering. It will also teach you how to properly countersteer to enter turns as well as how to properly exit. Just my $.02

Old 04-27-2007, 07:59 PM

I actually prefer to ride last. I find myself getting in over my head if I can see the rest of my group and try to catch up. I usually let them get around the next corner on purpose, then I can ride my own pace without the pressure of seeing them take the corner and me trying to follow and get inabove my skill level. I learned that lesson the hard way, hence the screen name.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: need a little help with my slow a$$