CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Battery Dead...????

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2007, 07:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery Dead...????

Hey guys... i went out today to take a lil' ride and the bike hasnt been started for about 2 days... so i went to start it and the starter would go... but it just didnt have enough juice to get the motor started. soo i plugged it in to the charger and then she started right up.Went for about a ten minute ride and came back.. shut it off in the driveway... and about two minutes later came back to it and the starter wouldnt even kick on.. all the panel lights were dim and the headlight was dim... i hooked it back up to the charger and she fired right up again!!! do i just need a new battery or do you think its more serious than this??? thanks for the inputs!

Old 03-30-2007, 08:27 PM
Default RE: Battery Dead...????

well after riding the bike the batt should charge back up . i ride anythng above 35 in th winter once its no snow on the ground . n sometimes i go for 3 weeks without even startin the bike n when im ready it starts right up . so a batt dyin in two days of no riding i dont think that would happen . try to give the batt a full charge see what happens or take it to get tested maybe a autzone or something .if not could be your rectifier which have been known to go bad on f3's

Old 03-30-2007, 08:48 PM

yeah thats kinda what i was thinkin it was... i wasnt sure what it was called, but yeah thats probably it.. i fully charged it and now i letit run a while... but i am gonnna let it sit a while too... it started right up after i let it run a while... but i also let it charge a long time... soo now i am letting it sit. soo anyways... i'll keep you updated. oh yeah one more thing... i read a bit about the rectifier, but what is the best to replace it with if its neccesary. aftermarket, stock, i also heard go with the yamaha r1 version of the rec... what doyou think.. thanks

Old 03-31-2007, 03:05 AM

could it be the R/R has gone bad. I know "abadfish" is an expertwith testing them mybe give him a PM.

Old 03-31-2007, 05:23 AM
Retired Moderator ans All Around Good Guy

from experience i would deffinetly say that your Reg/rec is the problem . next time whil ethe bike is running or afte ryou get back from a ride pull off your right tail fairing that is covering the R/R and you will probably find that the unti is very very hott! this is a bad sign . not only is it bad because the R/R is probably bad but also that the strain of it going bad will put a tremendous amount of stress on your battery and your stator (alternator). 1 weak link in the electrical system can very well have a domino effect. id pu tmy money on the rec being bad. chnag ethat out, charge the battery (hopefully you don thave to replace it) and then it should fire right up and run normal again ! good luck and ride safe

Old 03-31-2007, 11:43 AM

charge up your battery and do this:
http://cbrworld.net/forums/thread/140473.aspx

Old 03-31-2007, 01:18 PM

Hi, I am new here, but i just bought a '95 f3 and experienced something similar. But idiot me left the ignition in the "on" position for 3 hours, which drained the battery. I could jump start it and it would run, but the battery wouldn't charge. I bought a new battery and put about 40 miles on since then, and i have had no prblems.

My question is how long would it take before i noticed the battery dead again if the rectifier was fried? I drive in town mostly between 4-6000 rpm (still new to riding and cautious). Thanks a lot!

Old 03-31-2007, 01:33 PM
Retired Moderator ans All Around Good Guy

i thought i fixed my problem too with just a battery swap. it took about 2 weeks before one morning it wouldnt start and i knew the problem.

Old 03-31-2007, 10:49 PM

ok, little update for you guys.... i charge it the other day... it started fine, ran fine, ran it for a while.. turned it off... started it later... ran fine... waited a few hours, ran fine, waited until today... started and ran fine... I am at a loss for what it could be now, but it probably is the R/R... i guess i'll find out in abouta week or two... thanks agian... anybody suggest a brand or a company to buy the new R/R from??? thanks