General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dead battery or something else?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2012, 11:15 PM
February 2012 ROTM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Question Dead battery or something else?

So I wanted to go riding today. (bike been sitting for 8 days) hop on turn key ignition on, on switch, then once I press start....bike black out. Nothing...no light, nothing. First thing came to mind was dead battery? Battery is 4+ years old.....so I reach for the battery tender, hook it up and let it sit for an hour. One hour later, I came back, turn on key, heard a buzz noise, dash lights are very dim..... Nothing.

I'll let it sit on the tender overnight and see watch happen tomorrow.....meanwhile, what you guys think? What am I expecting tomorrow?

BTW: it's a 94 CBR 900RR with 26K....

Old 09-14-2012, 11:18 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by estate4life
... What am I expecting tomorrow?....
Expect it to be in General Tech section. ;-)

Old 09-15-2012, 02:33 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by estate4life
So I wanted to go riding today. (bike been sitting for 8 days) hop on turn key ignition on, on switch, then once I press start....bike black out. Nothing...no light, nothing. First thing came to mind was dead battery? Battery is 4+ years old.....so I reach for the battery tender, hook it up and let it sit for an hour. One hour later, I came back, turn on key, heard a buzz noise, dash lights are very dim..... Nothing.

I'll let it sit on the tender overnight and see watch happen tomorrow.....meanwhile, what you guys think? What am I expecting tomorrow?

BTW: it's a 94 CBR 900RR with 26K....
Def a dead battery... i got a 95 i just brought back to life a few weeks ago with exactly the same symtom and quickly resloved with a new one...
goodluck hopefully thats all it is..
..jay

Old 09-15-2012, 07:40 AM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Et tu, estate, et tu? Nobody is immune from electrical gremlins.

Replace the battery. That should solve the problem. It's over 4 years old and is about due anyway. It may start this morning, but may not when you get somewhere and shut it off.

Old 09-15-2012, 09:14 AM
February 2012 ROTM

Just woke up, after placing battery on tender over night. Took off the tender, switch key on, dash light 50% dim....press start, get nothing...only an electrical pull/dash light goes off when i press start.

My question is, when i have the battery on the tender last night, i switch the key on forgot to take off tender (still hook up)...dash light still dim? is this normal?

Old 09-15-2012, 09:30 AM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

The tender is a trickle charger. I doesn't put out enough amps to run the electrical systems with a bad battery. Looks like you better get dressed and go get a battery and a latte.

Some new batteries need to be charged up for 12 hours before use so if you're gonna enjoy the warm (< understatement) weekend, you better get on it.

Old 09-15-2012, 10:09 AM
February 2012 ROTM
Red face

Originally Posted by 74demon
The tender is a trickle charger. I doesn't put out enough amps to run the electrical systems with a bad battery. Looks like you better get dressed and go get a battery and a latte.

Some new batteries need to be charged up for 12 hours before use so if you're gonna enjoy the warm (< understatement) weekend, you better get on it.
Thanks demon....good to know it's normal.

Old 09-15-2012, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by 74demon

Yeah, think one of those Ice Blended coffees would be the better option today!!! :O :O :O ;-)

Old 09-15-2012, 05:17 PM
February 2012 ROTM

Ice latte will be nice today. Very hot weather in SoCal...so I was looking around for battery. Wow, so many choices...AGM, Gel, lithium? What you guys use..?

Old 09-15-2012, 06:07 PM

I use Yuasa in my bikes. Can't go wrong, always gives good performance, & lasts its full 5 yr life.

Quick Reply: Dead battery or something else?