General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dead battery or something else?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2012, 06:46 PM
February 2012 ROTM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I've seen some seller on eBay selling some Yuasa battery, but they say battery will be ship dry without acid. Do not include acid. Buyer will need to add acid and charge before use. Anyone familiar with this?

Old 09-15-2012, 06:58 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

It should come with acid in a separate container. They sell those at auto zone, oreileys, and places like that. You place the acid container in a special funnel supplied and add the acid. The plates inside the battery absorb it and it becomes a drycell. Then charge for a while and go. I've had them a few times, they're pretty easy and decent batteries for the fairly low cost. See if you can find one local....it'll get you on the road quicker and easier the warranty.

Old 09-15-2012, 07:07 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've always had Yuasa batteries but thought i'd try a gel battery this last time so i got a BikeMaster TruGel. 2 yrs now so far so good.

Only Air shippable battery on the market
BikeMaster TruGel Battery - Street Bike - Motorcycle Superstore

BIKEMASTER TruGel Case Drilling Demo:

don't need to activate it before use. comes ready charged.

Last edited by splash; 09-15-2012 at 07:09 PM.
Old 09-15-2012, 07:15 PM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I went with a gel, dropped about $85 on it.
It was a Yausa, I believe.

Ern

Old 09-15-2012, 09:39 PM
Nov 2011 ROTM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not saying it's not but I'm guessing it may not be a bad battery.

It certainly could be but the way it 'died' make me raise and eye brow.

At 4 years old , no harm in replcing it regardless. Good luck.

FWIW my battery tender will easily charge a dead battery enough to "crank" a bike in an hour no problem. With a good battery of course... but I do it all the time. Obviously it's not fully charged tho but it will crank.

3 bikes that sit during rotation + only 1 battery tender = lots of 1 hour or less kick charges. The Kawi did it just a few days ago coincidently.

Anyway.....

Good luck, let us know as I'm sure you will.

Old 09-16-2012, 05:20 AM

Yuasa good make and seem to last i would recommend them too. gel batteries also very good but very expensive!

Old 09-16-2012, 06:40 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by estate4life
I've seen some seller on eBay selling some Yuasa battery, but they say battery will be ship dry without acid. Do not include acid. Buyer will need to add acid and charge before use. Anyone familiar with this?
which actually remindes me, have you checked your battery to see if its low on distilled water, the electrons might not be popping in there,,
do you know what i mean,, on top of the battery take off the plug and take a peek inside!!!

Old 09-16-2012, 10:38 AM
February 2012 ROTM

Jay, your suspicion may be correct. I've gone ahead and order a new battery, because it's due anyway being 4years old. Meanwhile, I've place old battery on tender over night, took battery out and take it to O'reilly. Sales guy said he can test the voltage. Old battery tested at 13.66volt. He said that should be enough to start a car, let alone easy to start a bike. So it may not be the battery after all.

Went back home, install the old battery back on, turn on key, (no headlight, no taillight) the dash oil, side stand light does come on but very dim, there is this buzzing sound near the ignition but when I move the handle bar, buzzing sounds goes away. When I press start button, electrical pull, the dash lights goes out. I'll load a video for you guys to see....BRB

Originally Posted by zaqwert6
I'm not saying it's not but I'm guessing it may not be a bad battery.

It certainly could be but the way it 'died' make me raise and eye brow.

At 4 years old , no harm in replcing it regardless. Good luck.

FWIW my battery tender will easily charge a dead battery enough to "crank" a bike in an hour no problem. With a good battery of course... but I do it all the time. Obviously it's not fully charged tho but it will crank.

3 bikes that sit during rotation + only 1 battery tender = lots of 1 hour or less kick charges. The Kawi did it just a few days ago coincidently.

Anyway.....

Good luck, let us know as I'm sure you will.

Last edited by estate4life; 09-16-2012 at 10:41 AM.
Old 09-16-2012, 10:57 AM
Nov 2011 ROTM

Hmm....

Had a feeling.

Check the primary ground points. Should be one up front around the steering head and of course back by the battery. One up front has a tendacy to come loose and occasional develop corrosion between it and the alu frame tab.

Old 09-16-2012, 10:57 AM
February 2012 ROTM

here the first video:

I would say dash light is only 30-50% bright...no head or tail light.

Quick Reply: Dead battery or something else?