CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Another Carb Cleaning/Adjust/Sync Project (Includes Links)

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2012, 02:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My carb boots could be in better shape. The ring on the inside is ripped in a couple places on some of them, I didn't think to worry about it seeing as how it has the clamps on both sides and they are fairly tight. Maybe if the fuel filter or pump doesn't work, I'll get new boots.

I'd just hate to keep on sticking money and money and money into this bike.

Originally Posted by Jeffcbr600f2
As long as the electrodes don't look pitted you should be able to reuse them if you clean them.

As for the backfire did you pull your plug wires? Sometimes wrong firing order can cause this. If not then its normally caused from the bike being to lean. Are all your carb boots in good shape and tight? An intake leak can sometimes be an issue.
I'm not sure what else you messed with on the bike but being as it was running I'm guessing you put something back together wrong in the carbs causing it to be very lean. Wikipedia has a good write up on a lot of stuff like this.
Here's the one for backfiring.
Back-fire - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-09-2012, 09:44 AM

Awesome write up. I wish I had found this one before starting. Very all inclusive.

Originally Posted by siberiancbr

Old 07-12-2012, 11:22 AM
Default **update**

Current evaluation:
It started and ran, but only on two cylinders. 3 & 4 exhaust pipes were not warming at all. Keep in mind the fuel in 'T' o-rings were replaced due to a leak. I opened the float screws and I didn't have anything in 3 or 4 but 1 and 2 did. Fuel Pump wasn't spitting anything out, so I bypassed the fuel pump and now have a gravity feed from the filter to the carbs. Still no start and when it's turning over, only exhaust 1 gets warm, other three are cool. The carbs are being cleaned yet again tonight to verify that all of the parts are in place as they should be and that they are clean.

When I pulled apart carb 1 last night, it was clean and good to go. Hopefully the others give me signs of gunk. If they are all clean, what else could my problem be? It has to be fuel related seeing as how it turns over but won't start... Is it not getting enough gas with just a gravity feed? This should be fine for just a start and idle scenario.

Pilot jets are all set to 1/2 turn out right now, because this is where they were when it ran in the first place, and I'm fairly certain it has been running rich.

If my carb boots were letting air in, would that affect my carb fuel intake at all due to there being a vacuum leak? any help is appreciated.