CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

96 jetting

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2016, 09:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 jetting

Hey guys, i have a 96 f3 and have a jetting issue, its been this way since i got it 2 years ago but i figure nows a good time to fix her up. I did a carb clean last year and found that im running 140 outside and 142 inside, i have a k&n filter and full exahust, it runs pig rich and i reek of gas constantly when i ride it, i also get zero response from the throttle after about 1/2 throttle to full, and thats at any rpm, needless to say i think im really rich, what size do you guys recommend i go for with my current setup? I personally was going to go back to stock but with my mods it may not be beneficial, currently i have the needle on the 2 clip with no washer, and my screws are 2.5 turns out, i adjusted them to 1.5 today to see if it helps but my low end isnt the issue, everything has been balanced and cleaned several times so its not a sync issue that i can tell. Advice? Oh and im at sea level if that matters. Also getting about 32mpg which i figure is awful. Thanks in advance

Old 03-03-2016, 05:33 PM

Ok so i bought some 135's for the outside and 137.5 for the insides, aparently 138 isnt a thing with the jets i have, i runs better at the top end now, it actually pulls, not very strong but better than it was, i notice that letting off a hair seems to give more pickup so im thinking still rich somewhere, maybe the needle. Next issue is the low end, i have the scres 1.5 turns out and it seems fine on the low end but i still smell tons of gas after stopping, my idle is also bouncing all over the place, when i blip the throttle at idle it wants to die, is that indicitive of a rich or lean condition? Last question, how much should my idle fluctuate?

Old 03-09-2016, 02:22 PM

So im now at 1 turn out on the screws, just did a sync and shes responding much much better off idle in neutral and doesnt try and stall out when the throttle is blipped, oregon weather isnt cooperating so i cant test ride it right now but ill post back with my finding for anyone else thats having similar issues

Old 03-09-2016, 08:17 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Did you disassemble the slide? Do you have adjustable needles? If so, what slot are they at? 1 turn out doesn't seem right, I think that the OEM is 1 3/4 or so, right?

Old 03-10-2016, 10:19 AM

I think your right, i didnt disassemble them this time around, my mid throttle pull seemed ok so i left them, i beleive they are on the middle clip without the spacer if my memory serves me correct, could be the second position though

Old 03-10-2016, 10:30 AM

I should add that nothing seems stock, the main jets were not, the needles are not so im assuming the idle jets arw different as well so a drastic change may be whats needed as far as the mixture, not sure why they would have it to incredibly rich unless they were running some type of modified intake setup or nitrous or something. Even with the k&n and a full exahust with headers it was crazy rich, ill test ride today and report back

Old 03-10-2016, 06:30 PM

Got a chance to ride it today and it seems much better, it pulls pretty good all the way up but it is popping on deceleration, im asuiming its a lean popping but it also did that while rich so it could just be my exahust design causing it.

Old 03-11-2016, 04:26 PM

hey man,

My bike has 140s in the middle and 138s on the outside. I have stock 40s slow jets. My E clip is on the 3rd ring from the top and bottom (there are 5 rings on my needle).I believe my washer is on top of the E clip. Also my screws are out 2 full turns. It runs perfect with this setup! Yea, when the bike is running it does smell a bit rich. But hey! I love the throttle response and acceleration of this setup. Also Mine pops under deceleration but this is normal because of the access fuel in the exhaust burning.

When I bought the bike the guy who had it before me had the jets switched around. bigger jets on the outside instead of the middle. I had a hesitation at full throttle. Could've caused it or maybe not. Once i took the jets out and switched them, no more hesitation. Also put new spark plugs in at the same time so...

Ride safely fast!!