CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

My journey of the first Honda

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2016, 07:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My journey of the first Honda

Where to begin,

First thing is first. Really enjoy this forum. Lots of good information and support. Look forward to spending more time on here.

Just started riding motorcycles about 7 months ago. Got my permit and license, no problem. YAY for no restrictions

The first bike i bought was a 92 Kawasaki ninja 500. There is no telling how many miles were actually on the bike. There notorious for the gauges to stop working. Actually got ripped off because of my lack of experience buying motorcycles. Wont even tell you how much I spent. Anyway, I learned a lot working on that bike and now that I look back on it, it was the perfect bike to learn on. Sold it to a guy that works with me at the firehouse.

Then the beautiful 96 Honda CBR 600 came along.... Well wasn't beautiful when I picked it up. This bike had no muffler, headers were eatin through with rust, tires were bald, gauge didnt work. Only thing good was the engine still ran and a new battery. It was screaming for some love

Things I have done in order:
carb overhaul w/jet kit
oil change
"new" used d&d muffler
new chain
new spark plugs
valve adjustment
new fuel pump
steering wheel bearing replacement
numerous new gaskets to stop leaks
new grips
"new" used gauge
fender eliminator
new paint job including plasti dip rims
decals, rim paint, caliper paint, red rim tape

Things I would like to do:
red and black levers are coming in the mail
grips to match paint
tank protector
shock replacement
F4i gauge swap
integrated tail light

The bike was also lowered 3 inches. I raised it back.

Really wish I had a bunch of pictures of all the work that was done. Dont have the additional time it takes with a 6 month old baby lol.. So, Ill post some pics of before and after.

Thanks for reading my post!

Attached Thumbnails My journey of the first Honda-cbr-before-1.jpg   My journey of the first Honda-cbr-before-2.jpg   My journey of the first Honda-cbr-before-3.jpg   My journey of the first Honda-cbr-after-1.jpg   My journey of the first Honda-cbr-after-2.jpg  

Old 03-05-2016, 07:20 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Looks good!

FYI, you can DIY a fender eliminator, a good one at that, for about $5 at a local hardware store. And eBay has hundreds of tiny turn signals to choose from.

Old 03-05-2016, 07:28 PM

Thanks cornice!

Yea, I have a fender eliminator with the turn signals but would like to get a taillight with the turn signals integrated. i actually have an F2 brake light on it right now which does not fit that great.

Old 03-06-2016, 06:22 AM

Ah, understood. I had an integrated on my F3, it was great!

Glad to hear you're loving your bike, the wrench time shows!

Old 03-07-2016, 05:17 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by igotjesus88
Where to begin,

First thing is first. Really enjoy this forum. Lots of good information and support. Look forward to spending more time on here.

Just started riding motorcycles about 7 months ago. Got my permit and license, no problem. YAY for no restrictions

The first bike i bought was a 92 Kawasaki ninja 500. There is no telling how many miles were actually on the bike. There notorious for the gauges to stop working. Actually got ripped off because of my lack of experience buying motorcycles. Wont even tell you how much I spent. Anyway, I learned a lot working on that bike and now that I look back on it, it was the perfect bike to learn on. Sold it to a guy that works with me at the firehouse.

Then the beautiful 96 Honda CBR 600 came along.... Well wasn't beautiful when I picked it up. This bike had no muffler, headers were eatin through with rust, tires were bald, gauge didnt work. Only thing good was the engine still ran and a new battery. It was screaming for some love

Things I have done in order:
carb overhaul w/jet kit
oil change
"new" used d&d muffler
new chain
new spark plugs
valve adjustment
new fuel pump
steering wheel bearing replacement
numerous new gaskets to stop leaks
new grips
"new" used gauge
fender eliminator
new paint job including plasti dip rims
decals, rim paint, caliper paint, red rim tape

Things I would like to do:
red and black levers are coming in the mail
grips to match paint
tank protector
shock replacement
F4i gauge swap
integrated tail light

The bike was also lowered 3 inches. I raised it back.

Really wish I had a bunch of pictures of all the work that was done. Dont have the additional time it takes with a 6 month old baby lol.. So, Ill post some pics of before and after.

Thanks for reading my post!
good job so far mate, patience and budget big part of mods, may the force be with you bro.

Old 03-07-2016, 07:58 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You mentioned you wanted a new shock. I notice there is a "Fox" sticker on you shock reservour, but it looks like the original shock. If it is indeed a Fox, you could have it rebuilt. Which is better than a low mileage original shock. On a side note you could also have the original rebuilt also. Something I would consider would be stainless braided front brake lines. Nice bike, looking good.

Old 03-07-2016, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by horse_power777
good job so far mate, patience and budget big part of mods, may the force be with you bro.
Thanks! Yes, lots of patience!

Originally Posted by coalminer frank
You mentioned you wanted a new shock. I notice there is a "Fox" sticker on you shock reservour, but it looks like the original shock. If it is indeed a Fox, you could have it rebuilt. Which is better than a low mileage original shock. On a side note you could also have the original rebuilt also. Something I would consider would be stainless braided front brake lines. Nice bike, looking good.
Well, the bike makes a creaking noise when bouncing up and down on the bike. The only thing i can think of is the shock itself. It's not mushy or anything. I sprayed some grease on the rear suspension components and it is still making the noise. As noted before the bike was lowered 3 inches. The bottom of the shock was resting on the shock arm. I did forget to put grease in the shock link before putting back to original height. My bad .. could be the noise?

Anyway, the fox sticker was put on the original shock I'm assuming. I started peeling it off but very tedious.

I guess my question would be, even though the shock works really well but is making a creaking noise is that a sign it needs to be rebuilt? Or should I take the linkage and arm apart to re grease or grease what i forgot to do in the first place?

Thanks! Also steel braided brake lines would be awesome!

Last edited by igotjesus88; 03-07-2016 at 08:29 AM.
Old 03-07-2016, 01:00 PM

Yeah, it could easily be the linkages.

Old 03-07-2016, 06:10 PM

Hey guys/gals

Well, it's not making the creaking noise anymore. Probably the WD-40 seeping somewhere and stopped it.

Got around to changing my levers. Boy, did they need to be trashed a while ago!

Name:  levers3.jpg
Views: 32
Size:  106.4 KB

Name:  levers.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  89.4 KB

My new levers were not quite the red i was looking for. I am not sure if I'm going to keep them or not. They are super comfy though.

Name:  cbr3.jpg
Views: 37
Size:  162.4 KB
Name:  cbr2.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  165.3 KB
Name:  cbr.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  171.7 KB

Hmmm, from the pictures they look red. in the shade it is somewhat pinkish red.

Anyway guys! Ride safe and enjoy the new riding season coming up!

Old 03-08-2016, 04:36 AM

If you want a 96 f3 brake light i have one sitting around somewhere you can have, you can also integrate your own signals into the tail lights with a trailer wiring adapter available at any walmart, just an fyi

Quick Reply: My journey of the first Honda