95 CBR600F3 Turns over and dies - CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

95 CBR600F3 Turns over and dies

Old 08-05-2018, 08:34 PM
Default 95 CBR600F3 Turns over and dies

Hello,

Bike sat for almost 10 years. Obviously wouldn't start. Used some starter fluid and got it to turn over and run. Only ran with throttle open though. If I tried to let it idle it died. Finally decided to clean the carbs. Never done this before but think I did it correctly. Put it back together and the exact same this is still happening. Tested the fuel pump and it works. The floats all have gas in them. I can run it open throttle for a min or so. Tried not to do it for too long. Suggestions? Is the carb not cleaned properly. Should I get a rebuild kit instead? Could it be something else?

Thanks!

Old 08-05-2018, 08:54 PM
Super Moderator

Smart money says your carbs still need some attention. The passageways are very small in both the carbs and the jets. They have to be 100% squeaky clean.
A kit isn't needed if all the part are in good shape, they just probably need a long soak in carb cleaner.

Old 08-05-2018, 10:21 PM

Ok. By passageways, I assume you are referring to inside the carb body itself correct? How do I make sure that is fully cleaned out? Can't soak the carb body.

Old 08-06-2018, 06:53 AM
Super Moderator

Yes, that is what I am talking about. When you say you can't soak the carb body, are you saying you don't have the means to do it? The carbs are made to be disassembled. If you totally tear them down, you will have just a bare piece of aluminium.
​​​​​​They even sell carb clleaners in a gallon bucket that has a basket to use to dunk the stuff with if you want to do that.
Short of that you will still need carb cleaner, small wire (think guitar string size) and compressed air.
Work each passage one at a time and you will get there. There tons of threads on here and videos out there that will walk you through it step by step. There's also lots of folks here that are happy to lend a hand.

Old 08-06-2018, 08:44 AM

Ok, I was figuring I still the carbs.

When I said can't soak them, I guess I was thinking of dunking the whole carb in something. I do have the gallon can of carb cleaner that I used for the jets. If I can figure out something for the whole carb, should I do that or would you recommend actually disassembling the carb?

Old 08-06-2018, 10:55 AM
Super Moderator

You would need to break them apart and remove all the connections. Carb cleaner is great for metal, but not so much for plastic and rubber. It will pretty destroy them.
One thing to keep in mind, if you do decide to break them apart, the carbs will need to be re-balanced afterwards. Not a hard task but does require a special tool (which you can make if you like) and tons of patience.

Old 08-06-2018, 11:03 AM

Ok. Not sure I want to tackle re-balancing. I suppose I will start with reclining the ports and this time cleaning the passages as well. I noticed the cap and rubber membrane can be removed. If I do that, would I then need to re-balance the carbs as well?

Old 08-06-2018, 12:11 PM
Super Moderator

Nope, you are good to go with removing them. It won't affect the balancing portion at all. In fact removing them and cleaning the needle valve and its passageway is needed. There are only a couple things to watch out for. 1.-The cap is under a little bit of pressure as there's a spring under it. It's not a large amount at all, just keep your hand on the cap while you are loosening it else you might be hunting for screws that have flown away. 2.-Be mindful when removing the diaphragm. It's rubber and pretty resilient but can tear. If it does, you will be on the hunt for a replacement and they can be a tough find. I've never torn one but I know it can happen.

Old 08-06-2018, 12:38 PM

Thank you so much for the help. I'm gonna give this a try again and hope for the best. I haven't come a cross a video yet that explains all the passageways to make sure are clear, I'm assuming they are wherever I take out a jet. Let me know if there is a good video you can recommend.

Old 08-06-2018, 02:50 PM
Super Moderator

Check out this guy. The carbs that is cleaning are CBR carbs, but the premise is the same. He is great at explaining things.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 95 CBR600F3 Turns over and dies

Advertising
Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.