CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

Want to thank you guys

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2007, 11:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Want to thank you guys

I had a few posts asking what size bolts, where brake parts went, and general info about . All info was perfectly accurate and I am on the road again.

I wound up replacing the 2 sprockets, chain, rear tire, and rear brake pads. (and added a bolt to the front chain cover where 1 was missing)

A few observations.

1) The front bolt was WAY tighter than it was supposed to be by factory spec. Everyone should by a torque wrench to do stuff so they get it right according to factory specs. (and an impact wrench makes life a breeze)
2) The gear on the front I took off was a 14t and I replaced with a factory 15t. While acceleration may have been better when WAY on the gas with the 14t, I notice I move much better now with the stock 15t. Oh, and the 15t is good for a 500 rpm drop in nearly every gear at the same speed.
3) I bought the chain and sprockets as a kit for $95 or so from a seller on eBay. The chain is a clip style, but the tensile strength is at least that of the more named brands. The sprockets were JT and Parts Warehouse brands. IMO, an excellent value for those not racing. (and the clip can be made reliable by using some safety wire.)
4) I paid $165 installed for the rear tire (Pilot Road) as I took the rim into the shop. I spent local vs paying $125 via internet plus $15 shipping and $25 for mounting and balancing. At least the local shop gets to stay in business. If they'll come down $10 on the installed price for the front, it will make sense for them to do that one as well. Support local and make sure you figure all the costs when purchasing internet.
5) EBC HH brake pads really work great!

I'm also wondering if the tires made today for wet weather, extended mileage and value aren't as good as many of the race tires around when the bike was new some 15 plus years ago??

Sorry to go on, but I'm new to this, and judging by many of the questions I have read, so are many others. i hope that some of this info can help at least one person.

<edit> I shoudl also say that I am running a half can of Sea Foam through the tank and so far the bike is running much better. I have noticed that I can turn down the idle/throttle stop **** and the bike is running much better. I was thinking that I was having shift problems or linkage problems, but the combination of new chain, sprockets and carb cleaner is really helping to smooth everything out. Shifting no longer feels rough and everything falls into place. (probably new chain related) anyway, check driveline first before you think it could be something worse than what it may be.

Old 06-22-2007, 01:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Want to thank you guys

Here here!
I totally agree. I've only been on this forum for a short while, but the information I've received has been great!

I inherited a 94 CBR600 because my cousin seized the engine. I installed a salvage engine and immediately had problems with 2nd gear. With the help of the members of this forum I was able to diagnose the problem and I'm just waiting on parts to do the actual fix.

Meanwhile, I'm off to DMV tomorrow morning to get the bike tagged so it can be on the road for the 1st time in 3 years!

This place rocks!