CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

tire size?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2013, 10:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question tire size?

ok i have my f2 on the road and running great only problems i have now are that the forks leak slightly even though i put new seals in? any reason for this and what can i do to fix it there are no nicks grooves on anything on the forks and they are not bent at all that one has me confused ok so the tire is rubbing the front fender at higher speeds but i noticed the previous owner put a 120/70zr17 on it stock calls for a 120/60zr17 any reason for the swap? i have to get a new front tire soon what size should i go with stock or the 120/70 thanks for the help guys

Old 05-08-2013, 11:48 AM
Welcome Crew and ROTY 2014
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by hindsey123
ok i have my f2 on the road and running great only problems i have now are that the forks leak slightly even though i put new seals in? any reason for this and what can i do to fix it there are no nicks grooves on anything on the forks and they are not bent at all that one has me confused...
How long ago did you replace the seals, and how soon thereafter did you notice the leakage? Do you perform a lot of wheelies?
Did you use the fluid drain bolts on the back of each fork slider, and if so, did you replace those crush washers? Also, did you replace the crush washers for the both lower bolts, that pass through the bottom of the slider, and screw into the damping assembly? Lastly, did you torque those lower bolts to spec?

If you can see that it's leaking around the seals, then it could be several things: they could have been damaged on installation, or installed upside down (don't be offended, I'm just giving you the possibilities!), you could have gotten some dud seals, or if you do wheelie alot, especially high-standing wheelies, you could have blown them out already.

I only use OEM or All ***** seals/wipers, and I've heard that Leakproof and Bike master seals are prone to issues - just not good quality.

...ok so the tire is rubbing the front fender at higher speeds but i noticed the previous owner put a 120/70zr17 on it stock calls for a 120/60zr17 any reason for the swap? i have to get a new front tire soon what size should i go with stock or the 120/70 thanks for the help guys
Racing front tires are only available in 120/70 size, so if the previous owner was doing track days or racing, then that might be why you have that size - if it's not a race tire, then he might have mistakenly ordered the wrong size, or maybe got some good deal on that size, and didn't think it would matter, but it does.
If the tire needs to be replaced anyway, the simplest thing to do, would be to replace it with the stock 160/60 size - another option would be to pick up a fender designed for race tire clearance, for example, part number 2CBR66M, on this page:

HONDA CBR 600 F2 1991-94, CBR600, fairings, bodywork, fairing, upper, lower, mid, seat side, race, street, fender, tail, undertail, tank

Old 05-08-2013, 12:06 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Way back when, when I got my F2, it was an insurance total that I was fixing up for the track. I didnt notice the front fender was cracked, which allowed the wind to push it down on top of the tire. I remember first time I was racing it, I would see stuff flying up in the air in front of me, didnt know what it was til race was over. Had a "U" shaped void up on the leading front edge of fender. Drilled holes in the new fender so it mounted a little higher, no issues since, I'm also running a 120/70.

Old 05-09-2013, 07:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for the help the seals i got were through parts unlimited im pretty sure i put them in the right way but i could be mistaken anyways i will probaly just deal with the slow leak for now and replace them this winter or if it gets bad i will do them my bushings i think are another part to the problem i heard that if they are worn out the forks will leak no matter what i do so i will try to replace them also as far as my tire size will the stock size make better handeling or will it stay the same or worse i dont want to change how the bike handles for the worse thanks for the help

Old 05-09-2013, 08:49 AM
Welcome Crew and ROTY 2014
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

...as far as my tire size will the stock size make better handeling or will it stay the same or worse i dont want to change how the bike handles for the worse thanks for the help
Going to a stock tire size will lower the front ride height by 12mm, which, depending on your riding experince and skill level, might not even be noticed.
Lowering the front will increase your forward weight bias ever so slightly, and the bike will turn a touch quicker, but like I said, you might not even notice at all, and I assure you, it won't be a dramatic change.

If your current fender is still intact, and doesn't need replacing, then the simplest solution would be to go with the 120/60 tire.