CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

r/r issues want to ride tomorrow

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2013, 08:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation r/r issues want to ride tomorrow

ok guys i just got all the parts back on my bike after working on it all winter now i want to go for some short rides around town i have been reading alot of threads on here came across the r/r threads so i deiced to check mine to see if it was burnt up what i saw was that one of the three yellow wires going into the r/r was burnt up but two of them are still good also the red and green wires are still good so i ordered a aftermarket replacement on ebay problem is that it will take 4-6 weeks to get here what i want to know is if i can ride with the old one still in place around town and just un hook the one yellow wire or could i bridge it to one or both of the other yellow wires until i get my new r/r the one yellow wire has been burnt for a while now and i did not notice it before and had been riding with no problems if there is any solution to this please i am desperate to ride what can i do? if more info is needed just let me know thanks for the help in advance like i said i know the r/r has had the one burnt wire for a long while previous owner must have rode it like this because he never would have checked it he was not very mechanically skilled lol there has to be something i can do

Old 05-03-2013, 08:52 PM

all 3 wires and positive, negative wires have to be connected for the charging system to work properly.

the correct and best way is to repair it of course, but if its running good with no problems then you might be able to ride around close to home for now. the r/r will let you know when its fried, it will not run right and it will probably cut off while riding.

for a short term repair, cut the burnt wire back a couple inches put a new end on it and connect it back to the r/r. then follow the 3 wires back to the connection point, make sure its making a good connection there and pull it apart to clean and inspect. look there for signs of burnt wires or burn marks on the connector itself. if its burnt there then cut and reconnect with but-end connectors. thats just a quick fix in my opinion though.

if you want, after the weekend check the entire charging system, stator, r/r, and battery. for bad/ corroded connections, burnt, freyed, bare or corroded wires ect. its in there somewhere if you have seen a burnt wire, you will find it. all new wires soldered-in from stator to r/r and was a permenant fix for me. also i straight wired the posi and neg wires from r/r to battery for zero resistance. i put an inline 30 amp fuse on the posi side. at least in my experiance its working really well, no problems since.

Last edited by cBrentb; 05-03-2013 at 08:58 PM.
Old 05-07-2013, 05:22 AM

thanks for the help i got the r/r fixed the connections in it were burnt out but figured a way to take it apart and fix it its a pain in the a** but can be done if you have paitence

Old 05-07-2013, 10:10 AM

I just replaced mine. After riding for awhile my battery drained all the way down and wouldn't even start. After replacing the R/R it starts up perfectly everytime. My R/R and plug were both burnt so I just used some spade type connectors and wired it together that way.

Old 05-09-2013, 04:03 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it's the orginal RR, it's only going to get worse, the more you ride it. Eventually most of the connector will be melted/fused and the bike will strand you. I have a spare, brand new RR. That's a long time to wait for something unless it's coming from china or something. If you have paypal, you could buy mine and you may have it in 3-6 days or sooner.

Old 05-09-2013, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by outsider
If it's the orginal RR, it's only going to get worse, the more you ride it. Eventually most of the connector will be melted/fused and the bike will strand you. I have a spare, brand new RR. That's a long time to wait for something unless it's coming from china or something. If you have paypal, you could buy mine and you may have it in 3-6 days or sooner.
damn man i wish i would have known like a week ago i already ordered one it should be here in like a week for now i got the old one working great i tore it apart and replaced some parts for a quick fix it works great but still gunna put the new one on you wouldn't happen to have a manual cct would ya? thats my next investment if its what i need i posted a video of the noise