CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

, Strange Engine Noise

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2009, 06:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One important thing to consider is that that when the CCT starts to break, that slapping noise isn't just all fun and games. When something is making noise, it's breaking. With all that flopping and smacking, the cam chain wears at an incredible rate. Consider this comical picture of my cam chain off of a motor with a troublesome CCT. It wasn't even a very advanced case of the clatter, but that chain was DONE. It is of note that the chain is being held up against a wall (on a vertical plane) and the links are so seized that it can hold itself up. At least I got a fun toy.

also, I quote the second line of the CCT sticky at the top of THIS sub forum:

"The intention of this thread is to clean up the F2 section of the never dying CCT reposts."

Grrrrr...

Last edited by JimmyHoffa; 11-22-2009 at 06:50 PM.
Old 11-23-2009, 11:14 AM

haha wow, you can use that chain and make all kinds of shapes. i hope you took that out before the impending destruction took place.

Old 11-23-2009, 01:29 PM
Senior Member & tensioner mod inventor ROTM WINNER FEB 2013

Jimmy,
was that genuine Honda OEM chain or a moody pattern one? How many miles had it done?
There's chains and then there's chains. They shouldn't all be tarred with the same brush.
It'll make a nice worry bead though. Looks like it could use a bit of holy water on it.

Old 11-24-2009, 11:41 PM

Original Equipment Honda MV9-gen chain. Stock. Not really possible that the chain had over 19K on it, because my odo works, it's a numbers-matching bike, and everything else was on-par for a 19K engine. I never rule out that there's a bit of story that I never had the pleasure of hearing, but that's certainly all I know of the chain's history. So, for the worry warts: Be afraid. Be very afraid.

Of course, as one might imagine, my sprockets were not very sprocket-shaped anymore with a chain like that running on them. Fortunately, Honda didn't change the sprockets on the F3 motor, and I had a spare one in the corner, so engine part piracy obviously ensued when I discovered that.

Old 11-25-2009, 02:58 AM

Blimey, that's a bit of an eyebrow raiser. 19K? Do you think the bike has had an unpleasant upbringing by a cruel former owner? As you say, it's a story you've never heard and probably never will now. If the top sprockets are worn what do you think the crank sprocket might be like? That's a worry.
I've recently stripped my engine to the core and when taking out the cam chain I noticed that if it got dropped on the bench the links would close completely and not want to straighten out again unless you gave a serious tug on the chain. I'm sure that with correct tension the links would not under normal circumstances close up that much but I would suppose that if the chain is worn past the limits of the tensioner's capability to keep it straight this may happen as the chain passes over the crank sprocket. Doesn't bear thinking about.
When I get the new chain in a week or so I'll put up some comparison pictures to show the wear. I don't know how many miles mine has done. 60K on the odo but I have no idea when or if it was last changed. My tensioner appears to be working well and I never had cam rattle as far as could tell. The alternator chain was my problem. That's completely shagged.
Hope you're back up and running again after your little pirate escapades.

Old 11-26-2009, 11:39 AM

Yeah. I'm up and running. The only problem is that I have little to no bodywork done, and the front fairing I do have is made of chinesium, so I've had a few episodes of me seeing parts almost fall off, catching them, and holding them on for the ride home from class. It's kinda hilarious given the condition of the rest of the bike, which is 100% stock, clean, and just generally perfect.

I'd say your chain acts much like mine did, just not as bad. It almost felt like the link holes were ovaled and so were the pins, so they would bind at the more acute angles. That's what I imagined, anyway.

Old 11-26-2009, 03:16 PM

I'd say your chain acts much like mine did, just not as bad. It almost felt like the link holes were ovaled and so were the pins, so they would bind at the more acute angles. That's what I imagined, anyway.[/QUOTE]

That, my friend is probably the nail hit right on the head.
Glad you're back on the road. Either you need some duct tape first aid or perhaps one of your riding gloves should be substituted with a decent catchers mit until things a re a bit more firmly fixed about your chassis. Shame you can't get a pic of yourself holding on to your parts whilst on the move..... oh god, what have I said?