CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

Sprocket advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 08:58 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 02-23-2008, 11:27 AM
Default RE: Sprocket advice

You don't make any *significant* changes to top speed or gas mileage, from what I can understand.

I'm fairly sure you run out of power before you run out of RPMs in 6th gear, so if anything, it might actually increase your actual top speed.

And I've never been to 70 MPH, so I don't know how it affects cruising RPMs, although I imagine it wouldn't be by much in 6th gear.

Hence why going +2 in the rear is usually seen as a great upgrade with little or no downside.

Old 02-23-2008, 02:15 PM

Well as far as gas mileage goes...your not going to notice a huge difference....but top speed will be affected....they say with one down and two up it wont but they lie...it has to somewhat...I mean as long as an f2 is in decent mechanical condition your going to top out around 140-155 stock....now the actual top speed is debatable and a different topic but my point being that unless you live in germany and plan on tearing up the autobahn then it really doesnt matter...my guess with that gearing youd prolly loose between 4-13 mph.....as far as torque goes...if your looking for a normal amount of torque..as in what you have right now is too much...then I would take off the one you have right now...SAVE IT...and buy stock sprockets and chain. Ride like this untill you feel you want something faster...then throw back on the -1 +2 and see how you like it. As far as changes...specr is right...you dont have any SIGNIFICANT changes...but there is definatly a change. One more thing I forgot to ad which may be a debatble legit or not point..is that your going to wear your motor faster because of the increased rpms...but on the other hand these are hondas...and do pretty much run forever so if you keep up with regular oil changes etc. I wouldnt see this being a problem.

Old 02-23-2008, 02:32 PM

I bought my 94 cbr with the -1/+2 sprockets on it. Firstly the rear one was made of aluminum which was incredibly weak and had half the teeth knocked off of it by the time I was done with it. When I replaced the sprockets I went with stock sized. Honestly, it really comes down to preference. With the different gearing, you'll be shifting more and top speed will be less. Now, that really didn't matter to me because I got it up to an indicated 135 with the lower geared sprockets on it at least half a dozen times before I decided I didn't need to do that anymore.
When I changed mine I posted up this thread: https://cbrforum.com/m_387291/tm.htm

The geared down setup makes things quite a bit more potent and definitely livens things up. But right now, I simply don't value that as much. I'm more interested in ridability at this point and the stock gearing gives you that. For someone new I'd go with the stock gearing and run that for a season and then replace with the geared down ones if you feel like you need quicker jumps off the line.

Old 02-24-2008, 03:55 AM

All are very valid.
I am not concerned that much with top speed, I will be using it for general commuting, and going faster than 100 isn't on my agenda any time soon.

A concern of mine is being able to get away from traffic fairly quickly, so I think a little extra torque would be a good idea, especially since drivers in my area are notoriously terrible, and getting away from them quickly sounds like a good plan to me.

On top of all these suggestions and some research, I think i'm going with -1/+2. Thanks to everyone for their advice :]