CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

Q-Plate F2 - Advice Please (photos)

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 12:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Q-Plate F2 - Advice Please (photos)

Hello strangers! I've been away playing on my 600 all spring and summer, but now I could do with some advice. Here are some photos first (because we all love photos)

Bugkiller’s CBR1000F and my CBR600F loaded to the gunnels with camping bits.

I introduced Bugkiller to the Llanberris Pass. It’s good in a car, but great on a bike. Even with luggage!

Camping and a cuppa at Thundersprint in Anglesey.

Goldie now (photographed by an amateur photographer at work): new speedo cable (old one was broke), new black double-bubble screen (old was cracked), replaced fork seals and oil, new clutch cable, new flush mount rear indicators, second hand Beowulf can.

Now onto the issue; Goldie is a Q plate (made from parts) and I’m a noob. This makes my insurance cripplingly high. I could insure a CBR1100XX on a regular plate for less. My plan of getting a lower powered, older CBR for cheaper insurance has backfired hilariously.

I love the bike, so I don’t want to sell her. I’ve heard that I can buy a frame with a V5 certificate, transfer to the new frame and re-issue her with a regular registration plate. Does anyone have any experience or more substantial information on this please?

If not, I might need to get a second/better paying job somehow!

Old 08-21-2013, 02:46 PM
Welcome Crew and ROTY 2014
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice looking F2, for sure!

Anyway, hopefully a fellow Brit will hop on here and give you some clarification... I'm assuming a "Q plate" is similar to what a "salvage titled" bike is, here in the U.S.?

Old 08-21-2013, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by JNSRacing
Nice looking F2, for sure!

Anyway, hopefully a fellow Brit will hop on here and give you some clarification... I'm assuming a "Q plate" is similar to what a "salvage titled" bike is, here in the U.S.?
Possibly mate, but I'm not sure how our Q Plate system worked (because apparently they don't issue Q Plates anymore, its a wierd, outdated system) and even less idea about 'salvage titled'.

I'd keep her on the Q plate for quirkyness if it wasn't so expensive. Depends on what can be done about it and how much it'll cost.

Old 08-21-2013, 03:37 PM
Super Moderator
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Good to see you guys on-line again!

And thanks for the photos of your trip(s).

In Australia they are making it more and more difficult to re-register 'statutory' write-offs. The bike is put on a 'written off bike register' that is (almost) national, then you have to photograph each stage of the rebuild and supply receipts for the parts used. And if it was initially registered in another state, that raises its own host of problems.

Only when complete can you book it in for and inspection and even then there is no guarantee it will be granted.

Everything can be done BP, but how much time/effort do you want to put into it? And it is a lovely looking bike.

Cheers, SB

Old 09-09-2013, 11:53 AM

After talking to a friend who breaks and builds bikes, I'm going to look into getting her a new frame this will make a fun thread!!!