F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

License Plate advice.

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 09:48 PM
Registered Users
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default License Plate advice.

hey guys, I've just installed an under-tail and a rear seat cowl and I really like the look of my bike from behind. I have also installed an HR1 exhaust which allows me to remove the passenger footpegs due to its length and also there is no passenger seat. ANYWAY, I was thinking in mounting my plate on where the passenger foot-pegs used to be. As in using those same mounting points and have the plate "flush" with the rest of the bike. Is it legal?

Here is the law statutes for my state. (scroll down to #5)
Tom McGrath’s Motorcycle Law Group : Virginia Motorcycle Statutes

As far as I can read there is nothing concerning its axial placing whatsoever. Give me your opinion, and thank you for your time.

Old 05-13-2011, 05:17 AM

as long as it faces the back and is visible you should be good

Old 05-13-2011, 08:23 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was just pulled over the other day, right after i did my DIY fender eliminator.

The trooper said it wasnt my plate as much as the missing fender, "rocks kick up and hit his windshield". Then he showed me his chipped up hood from "chasing bikes all day" as he put it. He said "if it's not stock it's illegal." BS!!!

I got a work order to fix in 10 days. Took the bike to the county precinct and they signed off without even looking at the bike!! I didn't change anything!! So i'll just carry the signed work order around in case it happens again.

Last edited by Sick97SS; 05-13-2011 at 08:33 AM.
Old 05-16-2011, 11:18 AM
Registered Users

the plate is not going to face back...it is going to face either the left or right.

Old 05-16-2011, 12:50 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by camius
the plate is not going to face back...it is going to face either the left or right.
Not legal.

You statutes state, "In a position to be clearly visible". This means by law enforcement behind you. If you mount L or R, it won't be visible from behind. It must face back.

Old 05-16-2011, 12:53 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by camius
I'm pretty sure that statute stresses that it's visible and most people don't run your plate from beside you... so yes, more than likely; you will be stopped and stopped often if you have your plate facing the side of the vehicle. That'd be equivilant of putting your car tag on your driver's side window. How do you think they'd feel about that?

Old 05-17-2011, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by Sick97SS
I was just pulled over the other day, right after i did my DIY fender eliminator.

The trooper said it wasnt my plate as much as the missing fender, "rocks kick up and hit his windshield". Then he showed me his chipped up hood from "chasing bikes all day" as he put it. He said "if it's not stock it's illegal." BS!!!

I got a work order to fix in 10 days. Took the bike to the county precinct and they signed off without even looking at the bike!! I didn't change anything!! So i'll just carry the signed work order around in case it happens again.

And stock will stop rocks? sorry but the stock fender only keeps a little rain etc off the passenger in the rear if anything... It was always too high to cause any protection. He is just bias. The stock fender is like the following. Its like a truck with a 1ft mudflap... And a 3 foot lift... **** still flys backwards.

Old 05-17-2011, 11:45 AM

Cop was just picking on you. They need to leave us alone and let us enjoy riding and mods.

Old 05-17-2011, 12:13 PM

The Police would much rather spend their time harassing you than risking their lives going into the urban disaster and getting shot at... As in ALL Govt work (except the Military) as long as you "LOOK" like youre doing something is all that matters.