CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

Problem shifting into 1st

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 12:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem shifting into 1st

This happened to me twice so far since i've owned my 93 f2 14k original miles. Coming up to a stop light after driving in the city and once after high speeds the bike refuses to shift into neutral or first. It's like it gets stuck in second. I sure hope this isn't a major trans. problem. Also, while riding in 1st with just the clutch out no gas it jerks majorly until I get it past 10mph.
Has anyone else experienced any of this? What could possibly be the problems?

Old 05-10-2011, 01:13 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

could be clutch cable has too much slack, so the plates aren't full disengaging. @ speed the bike will shift with no, or just very light, clutch into most other gears.

that could explain the jerkiness @ low speed,but more likely you have a carb tune issue. My bike does it to an extent as well when cold.

If not the clutch - you could have a bent shift fork. That can be checked without removing the motor, and I believe can be fixed without splitting the case if needed.

Could possibly be a damaged shift star - but I just don't know how you would hurt one of those.

Old 05-10-2011, 04:39 PM

Are you trying to down-shift more than one gear while at a stop? ex. you roll up to the stop light in 3rd and try to get down to 1st? if that is the case you will probably need to roll the bike forward a couple of inches at least (maybe up to a foot) to get the 2nd shift.

Old 05-11-2011, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by adrenalnjunky
could be clutch cable has too much slack, so the plates aren't full disengaging. @ speed the bike will shift with no, or just very light, clutch into most other gears.

that could explain the jerkiness @ low speed,but more likely you have a carb tune issue. My bike does it to an extent as well when cold.

If not the clutch - you could have a bent shift fork. That can be checked without removing the motor, and I believe can be fixed without splitting the case if needed.

Could possibly be a damaged shift star - but I just don't know how you would hurt one of those.
Thanks for the possibilities.
Originally Posted by Bently600
Are you trying to down-shift more than one gear while at a stop? ex. you roll up to the stop light in 3rd and try to get down to 1st? if that is the case you will probably need to roll the bike forward a couple of inches at least (maybe up to a foot) to get the 2nd shift.
That could've very possibly be the reason. I will take note of this. I must add that it has happened to me again last nite, not sure exactly if I shifted directly to 1st or not. IS this common amongst F2s?

Old 05-11-2011, 12:29 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mine dont like to down shift while at a stop either i have to kinda feather out the cluch slightly and i will hear it drop into gear kninda annoying but kinda typical for every bike ive owned

Old 05-11-2011, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by Atrom
This happened to me twice so far since i've owned my 93 f2 14k original miles. Coming up to a stop light after driving in the city and once after high speeds the bike refuses to shift into neutral or first. It's like it gets stuck in second. I sure hope this isn't a major trans. problem. Also, while riding in 1st with just the clutch out no gas it jerks majorly until I get it past 10mph.
Has anyone else experienced any of this? What could possibly be the problems?
first, it aint meant to be ridden at 10 miles an hour, if youre doing that speed, you should be creeping and using the clutch

I would check your clutch and make usre you dont have excessive slack in it, it might make changing at a stop easier. Having said that, sometimes bikes will do that, due to having a sequential gearbox. just roll the bike forward a bit and try again.

Old 05-11-2011, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by Atrom
That could've very possibly be the reason. I will take note of this. I must add that it has happened to me again last nite, not sure exactly if I shifted directly to 1st or not. IS this common amongst F2s?
Yes, very common. This is the case on all my bikes.

When you are decelerating (slowing) you should be downshifting as your speed drops.... ie. you should always be in the appropriate gear for the speed you are going. So when you come to a stop you should always be in first (unless emergency stopping).