CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

My f2, bought sight unseen, has arrived

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2007, 02:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: My f2, bought sight unseen, has arrived

I see what you mean about the seafoam and deposits floating around.

I'll bet I have them then. No chance in heck the bike will start now do you think? The seafoam has been sitting in the gas tank for a couple days at least.

The bike has no safety wiring and has all stock lights, mirrors, etc.

I need to check the frame though and will do so as soon as I can get some time and pics.

Thanks for the tips man and for staying on this thread

Congratulations on your soon to be track bike and your monster '08 gixxer!!!!

ORIGINAL: Hershey

Yeah I thought my tank was mint inside too, until I ran some seafoam through it lol... Then my bike wouldn't run because there was very fine brown powder (rust) in the carbs.

Street bikes can have no chicken strips too, I have no front chicken strip and just a little one on the back and I dont push too hard, that and it would have track tires on, not too many people race with DOT's... A good way to tell is if everything is safety wired though, alsoif it has all of the stock lights and mirrors etc it was probably not a track bike.

mine will be next year! and I'll have an 08 GSXR 750 for the street

Old 10-07-2007, 05:55 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It depends if you have run that fuel through the carbs since you put in the seafoam...

If your petcock is closed the fuel and rust hasnt had a chance to flow into the carbs, so I would rinse that sucker out with the POR15 metal treatment and then wash it out with water and dry it really good in an oven (just warm enough to evaporate the water and not bubble your paint)

then put fresh fuel in and try, but if it has been sitting for a while you're probably going to have to give the carbs a good cleaning.

Old 10-07-2007, 09:27 PM

No Hershey she hasn't started for a while.

I think this is what happened to the bike...it's been sitting out in the sun for a couple months maybe longer like a year or more...and the seller decided he wanted to ride it.

He tries to fire it up but cannot so he gets a new battery. bike still won't start so he changes the sparkplugs.

When that doesn't work he gives up and looks for someone to dump his "problem" on.

Only he failed to say in his craigslist ad that the bike didn't run.

Here is his craigslist ad:

1991 Honda CBR 600 F2, nice bike, needs carb clean and reg, 19k miles, moving, first cash takes it.

It depends if you have run that fuel through the carbs since you put in the seafoam...

If your petcock is closed the fuel and rust hasnt had a chance to flow into the carbs, so I would rinse that sucker out with the POR15 metal treatment and then wash it out with water and dry it really good in an oven (just warm enough to evaporate the water and not bubble your paint)

then put fresh fuel in and try, but if it has been sitting for a while you're probably going to have to give the carbs a good cleaning.

Old 10-08-2007, 06:18 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You know, besides the rim, it really doesn't sound that bad. Sure it hasn't started yet, but unless their is no compression, it sounds like the problems could be rather minor. Hopefully after you move you get some time on it. Good luck.

FYI: As for my background, I use to do some minor maintenance on my Datsun 280ZX about 10 years ago. Hardest thing I did on it was replace my water pump (3Xs). I tell you what, I could replace that water pump in under 20 minutes.

So, I went to buy my F2 from a co-worker. It sat for 5 yrs (it was his brother's, who died of cancer). He told me it was last started about 2 yrs previous, but they changed the gas to do that. So, we did that, but to no avail. Tried getting it running for something like 4 hrs before the daylight gave up on us. So, I did some searching and found CBR Forums where there was a link on cleaning carbs. So after a couple days, I told my buddy that I would buy it (he would only go down $100) for $1900. I borrowed a friends pickup and took it home. I then ordered a set of gaskets and o-rings for the carbs. After a few days of waiting, I discovered one set meant for 1 carb. I needed 4. So I ordered the remaining. I then had to buy some tools, I only had standard sizes and no metric wrenches or sockets. After I got them, I changed the plugs and then proceeded to strip down the carbs and cleaned them as suggested. I put them back on. No go. I had already tested that it would run by hitting it with starter fluid. So, that only left the carbs as the problem. I took it off again and this time I removed the jets they were completely clogged. I searched all over for a piece of metal small enough to stick through the holes. I ended up finding a twist tie small with a smaller than normal wire. I have to tell you, it took some effort. Seafoam might have worked, but I'm skeptical. Either way, I put them back on and gave another test. It took like 10 minutes of cranking and constant choke adjustment before it would start, but it did start (still takes the same 10 minute routine to get her running). I was so jazzed that I decided ok...it's warmed up now, let me change the oil.

So, I'm standing above the bike reaching under with my ratchet. You know, lefty loosy, righty tighty. Well that only works when you are looking at the bolt. I felt like an idiot. I thought the pan was stripped. So, back to the forums. Hey there's something to rethread (forget the name). So, I proceed to do that. Put the oil in and it leaks all over the place. Nuts. I finally pull off all the bolts for the oil pan. What do I find? I cracked it. I try to fix it with some aluminum welding crap, but a propane torch can't get it hot enough. So I order a new one. (I later found one on ebay for half the price, oh well). I also ordered a new gasket. Installed the new pan and gasket and nuts.....it's leaking out of another bolt. What the heck...oh wait...I never took a razor to remove what was left of the old gasket. Ok...back on and no leaks. yippee!

Now, it sounds horrible, but it really wasn't all that bad. What I gained, though, was something that I never fully understood before, a better understaning of the inner workings of a carburator. That knowledge alone made the whole ordeal worthwhile. Plus, I feel really good about myself in doing it myself and to be perfectly honest it was nowhere as difficult to do as I thought it would be. Sure, I made mistakes, but that is all part of the learning process.

Like I said before, this is my first bike. I ride around my house to get comfortable enough to take the 20 mile ride to get it inspected. One day, I was leaving McDonalds and I find myself laying on the ground and the bike a few yards away from me. Thought it was an oil slick. Either way, it put the fear of God in me. Thinking I screwed up what the heck did I do, I was only doing like 5-10 mph. (this is the first time the bike was laid down apparently). A month later, I discovered the problem...whe

Old 10-08-2007, 02:14 PM

Thanks Woo!

Sounds like you had a chance to really get to know your f2 inside and out. I'd like to try it sometime if I have the time, tools and someone to show me.

Old 10-08-2007, 10:41 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

MT, I've had many carbs apart including my F2's... I have a write-up somewhere on how to clean them up, it's actually quite simple if you take it slow and pay attention to what you're doing.

I would recommend cleaning the carbs first, if you have spark and a good battery it will run!

You haven't heard it run yet, for all you know it could be sweet! He did mention it needs a carb cleaning, which implies that it has sat neglected and doesn't run, at least not well.

G'luck! I've got a PDF service manual I can send you for free which explains how to disassemble / reassemble your carbs and almost everything else on the F2.

Old 10-09-2007, 02:18 AM

Thank you Hershey!

I appreciate the pdf offer. Right now the seller has promised to send me some carbs from another f2 free of charge. When he comes back from the mainland we'll see if he makes good on his word.

I expect him to live up to what he promised. We'll go from there.

MT, I've had many carbs apart including my F2's... I have a write-up somewhere on how to clean them up, it's actually quite simple if you take it slow and pay attention to what you're doing.

I would recommend cleaning the carbs first, if you have spark and a good battery it will run!

You haven't heard it run yet, for all you know it could be sweet! He did mention it needs a carb cleaning, which implies that it has sat neglected and doesn't run, at least not well.

G'luck! I've got a PDF service manual I can send you for free which explains how to disassemble / reassemble your carbs and almost everything else on the F2.

Old 10-09-2007, 11:27 AM

got a wiring diagram? It would be super if you could send me a copy!
thanks in advance for your help-ful-ed-ness!

Old 10-09-2007, 11:27 AM

Old 10-11-2007, 02:57 PM

Haven't had a chance to even see my bike since I rolled it to my parents house 2 wks ago.

I'll see it this Sat or Sun for sure. I told my wife I'm gonna take off the fairings and see the frame myself and what else might be wrong.

Get some pics too

Quick Reply: My f2, bought sight unseen, has arrived