CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

My f2, bought sight unseen, has arrived

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 12:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: My f2, bought sight unseen, has arrived

MT--Im sorry to hear the bike is as beat up as it is. I just had a feeling that you were jumping into this thing just to get back on an F2 as quickly as possible.Sounds like it will cost more than the bike is worth to get it into decent shape--just not worth it. If it were me I would call the seller and DEMAND that the deal be undone and if that didnt work I would have a lawyer draw up a nasty letter telling him he's going to get sued unless he returns your VFR. I wouldnt take this lying down. Push comes to shove I would take him to court.

Old 10-03-2007, 01:46 AM

It's okay BikerBoy, I thought about it but it's not worth the hassle to me and my wife.

We're trying to move from one apartment to another too, so money is tight and so is our time.

Need to worry about fixing up our place to show it to people and I have to work overtime to make ends meet and give us some breathing room.

I did call him and funny he doesn't answer his cell phone now...and left a long message telling him what I thought of how he misrepresented the bike and basically cheated me.

He hasnt' called back either, what a surprise. The bike will just stay at my parents house.

Any idea what I need to do to store it properly? I don't care if the tires go flat, they are nearly bald anyway, but what about the fuel in the tank? It's nearly empty and I added a can of SeaFoam.

The bike still won't start.

What about the other fluids and the battery? Thanks

Old 10-03-2007, 06:03 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear about your bad luck MT, that is terrible that you got hosed like that... as mentioned, your VFR looked mint.

On the F2, Have you pulled the plugs to check them for spark? Also, If it is turning over, the battery is probably fine, but I'd give a terminal voltage check just to be sure it is strong and where it should be (13v or so... if it is lower, then something might be wrong.)

Now that you have it, I'd say fix it up. Take your time and everything can be done cheap.

When I bought my F2, it had a huge rip down the center of the seat. I went to my local fabric store and for about $8 I had enough vinyl to cover the seat 2 times. I tore off what the bike came with, cut a new one from the vinyl and taught myself REALLY quick how to reupholster a seat. Just take your staple gun and start with one staple per side, then keep pulling tight and working your way around. I must have used atleast 100 staples, but my seat looked brand new and like a million bucks after.

The chain and sprocket set are REALLY easy. I have done this job 2 times. Once on my F2 and once on my F4. You can figure it out, all you need is a bike stand to lift the back up, and universal ones that fit an F2 are cheap enough.
Just take fairings off, front sprocket cover off, rear brake on and loosen the front sprocket. Now is the time to cut the chain off. I just used a grinder to cut through my chain, easy enough, don't hit the bike or swing arm with it. Goto rear axle and loosen it right off, pull it out and viola! your rear wheel will fall out. Now you can undo all of the bolts holding the sprocket on to your rear rim (you'll need a breaker bar most likely). Hopefully you have undone your front sprocket already because it is HARD to do at this point. Change to a new sprocket set (which is cheap enough). The only "special" tool you will need is a chain press tool/riveting tool. It is about $150, but it is worth it if you ride and always do your own work. Anyways... I gotta jet now lol but good luck man. I hope things turn out for the better.

I feel for ya!

Old 10-03-2007, 08:37 AM

I think I should mention that you should probably try and find the master link on the chain to see if it's the clip style instead, which you can easily remove. Otherwise if its the rivet style then all you have to do is grind the top of the rivet of then pound the thing apart with a punch.

Old 10-03-2007, 08:42 AM

well buddy, sorry to hear that man....

if ya need a seat, not in perfect condition, has a scrub mark on the passenger strap....but otherwise good
gimme a shout....all you gotta pay for is postage (since youre in HI) the seat will be free

Old 10-03-2007, 09:08 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I found it very difficult to yank my plugs due to the limit space. I have small hands and it was still a knucklebuster. Since you will probably need to clean the carbs manually, you might just want to take off the seat and gas tank. 4 bolts and the rear farings. Take the top of the air cleaner off (bunch of screws) and take out the filter. Then give each cylinder a quick hit with starter fluid (Note: avoid over spray...the plastic of the airbox reacts to the starter fluid. You could consider going through the effort of removing the bottom half of the airbox too...16 screws (4 for each carb) and a couple hoses...but that's up to you. At this point it should start up. If not then you will have to start exploring the electrical system.

If it does start, then the problem could be your fuel line. Since you have gas tank off... hook up the smaller vacuum hose create suction on the vacuum hose (I'll leave it to you to figure how, I duct taped it to a dustbuster). You should get a decent flow of gas (yes, catch the gas somehow flowing from the larger opening...like a gas can). If this is good, then your jets are most likely clogged.

Old 10-03-2007, 11:12 AM

Your carb cleaning won't cost $700. You could probably just find a bank of carbs on this site or ebay for around $60 - could maybe just swap them out. To clean the carbs even at a dealer should only be about $75-$125 - and really that's something you could do yourself for a couple bucks.

And you should be able to find a front rim around here too for about $100. There's no way I'd ever pay dealer price for a stock rim. But that's me. (especially on a bike in the condition you are describing). I sure hope the bike runs decent though. That will get you out of the dumps when you hear he come to life.

Old 10-03-2007, 01:48 PM

Thank you for the write up Notny

I'll keep these tips in mind when I decide to work on this bike. For now, though she goes into storage at my parents house.

Thanks

ORIGINAL: notny41

Your carb cleaning won't cost $700. You could probably just find a bank of carbs on this site or ebay for around $60 - could maybe just swap them out. To clean the carbs even at a dealer should only be about $75-$125 - and really that's something you could do yourself for a couple bucks.

And you should be able to find a front rim around here too for about $100. There's no way I'd ever pay dealer price for a stock rim. But that's me. (especially on a bike in the condition you are describing). I sure hope the bike runs decent though. That will get you out of the dumps when you hear he come to life.

Old 10-03-2007, 01:52 PM

Thanks woo

Right now though I have to focus on getting our place into shape to show to possible buyers. We're moving apartments or trying to.

I appreciate all the help and will keep this thread in my files.

ORIGINAL: woo545

I found it very difficult to yank my plugs due to the limit space. I have small hands and it was still a knucklebuster. Since you will probably need to clean the carbs manually, you might just want to take off the seat and gas tank. 4 bolts and the rear farings. Take the top of the air cleaner off (bunch of screws) and take out the filter. Then give each cylinder a quick hit with starter fluid (Note: avoid over spray...the plastic of the airbox reacts to the starter fluid. You could consider going through the effort of removing the bottom half of the airbox too...16 screws (4 for each carb) and a couple hoses...but that's up to you. At this point it should start up. If not then you will have to start exploring the electrical system.

If it does start, then the problem could be your fuel line. Since you have gas tank off... hook up the smaller vacuum hose create suction on the vacuum hose (I'll leave it to you to figure how, I duct taped it to a dustbuster). You should get a decent flow of gas (yes, catch the gas somehow flowing from the larger opening...like a gas can). If this is good, then your jets are most likely clogged.

Old 10-03-2007, 01:53 PM

Thanks Thomas!

Good man. It's okay, right now I cannot do anything more to the bike. My wife put her foot down after this disaster.

The bike goes into storage for now

ORIGINAL: thomasintexas

well buddy, sorry to hear that man....

if ya need a seat, not in perfect condition, has a scrub mark on the passenger strap....but otherwise good
gimme a shout....all you gotta pay for is postage (since youre in HI) the seat will be free

Quick Reply: My f2, bought sight unseen, has arrived