CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

My f2, bought sight unseen, has arrived

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 01:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: My f2, bought sight unseen, has arrived

Right on Syphen...great information and tips

Ill keep this as I mentioned before in my files for if/when I decide to take this bike apart and fix it.

My wife is a bit relieved in that I won't be riding for a while and she's always been against me riding.

If anything, I can just focus on work and getting our apartment ready to sell.

Anyone looking for a 1 bedroom/1bathroom condominium unit in Hawaii?
ORIGINAL: Syphen

Sorry to hear about your bad luck MT, that is terrible that you got hosed like that... as mentioned, your VFR looked mint.

On the F2, Have you pulled the plugs to check them for spark? Also, If it is turning over, the battery is probably fine, but I'd give a terminal voltage check just to be sure it is strong and where it should be (13v or so... if it is lower, then something might be wrong.)

Now that you have it, I'd say fix it up. Take your time and everything can be done cheap.

When I bought my F2, it had a huge rip down the center of the seat. I went to my local fabric store and for about $8 I had enough vinyl to cover the seat 2 times. I tore off what the bike came with, cut a new one from the vinyl and taught myself REALLY quick how to reupholster a seat. Just take your staple gun and start with one staple per side, then keep pulling tight and working your way around. I must have used atleast 100 staples, but my seat looked brand new and like a million bucks after.

The chain and sprocket set are REALLY easy. I have done this job 2 times. Once on my F2 and once on my F4. You can figure it out, all you need is a bike stand to lift the back up, and universal ones that fit an F2 are cheap enough.
Just take fairings off, front sprocket cover off, rear brake on and loosen the front sprocket. Now is the time to cut the chain off. I just used a grinder to cut through my chain, easy enough, don't hit the bike or swing arm with it. Goto rear axle and loosen it right off, pull it out and viola! your rear wheel will fall out. Now you can undo all of the bolts holding the sprocket on to your rear rim (you'll need a breaker bar most likely). Hopefully you have undone your front sprocket already because it is HARD to do at this point. Change to a new sprocket set (which is cheap enough). The only "special" tool you will need is a chain press tool/riveting tool. It is about $150, but it is worth it if you ride and always do your own work. Anyways... I gotta jet now lol but good luck man. I hope things turn out for the better.

I feel for ya!

Old 10-03-2007, 01:58 PM

To be honest, I thought you said that you're a cop? Why not just take legal action? False advertisement? I remember you also stating prior to this thread that you live one island away from the guy that's shipping your bike. I would have thought that it would be more mind settling to take the effort to check the bike out in person.

If you think there's nothing you could do now... I highly doubt that. I say get your VFR back , regardless of how much money you will spend or lose, it wouldn't really matter because you're losing more money with your current status thus far. You should have sold your clean *** VFR, bought something more local and use the extra money for goodies...

I hate people that screw people over. I'm mad for you... not mad at you. Remember that. I should go to Hawaii and kick that guy's ***. Sounds like a vacation to me. =) But seriously, I might be selling my fairings on my f2 which are pretty good condition. Could help you out if I see what I plan on doing. Right now my bike is getting a 600rr tail upgrade, so my tail parts are available. Sorry to hear about everything though, I wish there was something I could do for justice to be served. Till then, good luck and keep us informed.

Live and Learn.

-Jasper

Old 10-03-2007, 03:11 PM

I know you said you don't have time to work on it now, but if you have a little time there are some things you should try. Before messing with the wheel, chain, fairings, fork ect. Buy some new spark plugs, a can of carb cleaner, and get a can with some fresh gas. you should be out less than $40 bucks, and you may be able to get it to fire up. Pull the seat and tank. you might even want to pull the carbs off which isn't that big of a deal. Spray the carbs down really well and pull the jets to make sure they aren't plugged. Pull one of your plug wires off and hook it to a new plug. hold it in your hand and try to start the bike. check to see if you're getting spark. If you're getting spark, change all the plugs out with fresh ones. Leave the tank and airbox ect off and try to start it. you'll need to rig something up to get it some gas. I think once you hear it fire up, you'll be a lot happier and look forward to fixing it up. Forget labor, these bikes are not that complicated. If you're somewhat mechanical, pick up a good manual and read through it. I just took my F3 all the way down to the frame and rebuilt the engine with no prior expirience. Best of luck to you and keep us posted, Ryan

Old 10-03-2007, 03:17 PM

Just spoke to the seller today and at least he called me back.

He says he's going to send me carbs from a '92 f2, he's on the mainland right now, free of charge...they're soaking them right now and he'll send me a front rim from that f2 free of charge/shipping.

I just need to send him back my f2 carbs from the '91 in the future. We talked and came to an agreement at least on that....he won't send me my bike back because he already traded it for another bike for his son.

Old 10-03-2007, 03:22 PM

Thanks Jasper

I appreciate the offer if you decide you don't need the fairings on your bike. Right now I posted an update on the bike and he's sending me carbs from another f2 free of charge and he's cleaning those out. They'll need to be tuned/synched though. And he's sending me a front rim free. Free shipping everything.

Right now I don't want to pursue this guy, I have no time. Gotta work and pay bills and get our apartment ready for showing since it's for sale. And I have to work some overtime to make up for bills.

ORIGINAL: jahnaboi

To be honest, I thought you said that you're a cop? Why not just take legal action? False advertisement? I remember you also stating prior to this thread that you live one island away from the guy that's shipping your bike. I would have thought that it would be more mind settling to take the effort to check the bike out in person.

If you think there's nothing you could do now... I highly doubt that. I say get your VFR back , regardless of how much money you will spend or lose, it wouldn't really matter because you're losing more money with your current status thus far. You should have sold your clean *** VFR, bought something more local and use the extra money for goodies...

I hate people that screw people over. I'm mad for you... not mad at you. Remember that. I should go to Hawaii and kick that guy's ***. Sounds like a vacation to me. =) But seriously, I might be selling my fairings on my f2 which are pretty good condition. Could help you out if I see what I plan on doing. Right now my bike is getting a 600rr tail upgrade, so my tail parts are available. Sorry to hear about everything though, I wish there was something I could do for justice to be served. Till then, good luck and keep us informed.

Live and Learn.

-Jasper

Old 10-03-2007, 03:24 PM

I may do that later Ryan, thank you for the info and the encouragement!

Right now though I have no time to work on this bike. I'll set it aside and let it be my project bike. I love f2's and hope to get this one running someday.

ORIGINAL: Rwillride17

I know you said you don't have time to work on it now, but if you have a little time there are some things you should try. Before messing with the wheel, chain, fairings, fork ect. Buy some new spark plugs, a can of carb cleaner, and get a can with some fresh gas. you should be out less than $40 bucks, and you may be able to get it to fire up. Pull the seat and tank. you might even want to pull the carbs off which isn't that big of a deal. Spray the carbs down really well and pull the jets to make sure they aren't plugged. Pull one of your plug wires off and hook it to a new plug. hold it in your hand and try to start the bike. check to see if you're getting spark. If you're getting spark, change all the plugs out with fresh ones. Leave the tank and airbox ect off and try to start it. you'll need to rig something up to get it some gas. I think once you hear it fire up, you'll be a lot happier and look forward to fixing it up. Forget labor, these bikes are not that complicated. If you're somewhat mechanical, pick up a good manual and read through it. I just took my F3 all the way down to the frame and rebuilt the engine with no prior expirience. Best of luck to you and keep us posted, Ryan

Old 10-03-2007, 06:03 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First off, it could have been worse. He could have said he shipped the bike and didn't. It's nice to know that he got back in touch with you. The rim might have been the worse thing to replace. Hopefully he makes good on that. Either way, focus on your move get yourself settled and then get ready to dig in. No use of stressing over too many things at once.

Old 10-03-2007, 07:37 PM

Woo yes at least he called back and offered me the carbs/rim at the very least.

I just came back from trucking the bike home at my parents' house. It cost me about $80.00 to have the bike towed from the dock to Cycle Sports, where they did a diagnostic and then they towed it to my parent's house. They were great, because they did not charge me for the diagnostic. It's $78.00/hr so my bill could have totalled $160....instead it's half that

Woo, I will work on the bike later, I think the engine is solid. I see no leaks but I haven't gotten the fairings off yet. With a lot of work and TLC this bike could look/run reallywell I think.

Now I can focus on selling our apartment andrepainting our bathroom and bedroom white. It goes on display in about two weeks.

Wish me luck fellas that it sells quick!

Thanks again for everything myF2 family!

ORIGINAL: woo545

First off, it could have been worse. He could have said he shipped the bike and didn't. It's nice to know that he got back in touch with you. The rim might have been the worse thing to replace. Hopefully he makes good on that. Either way, focus on your move get yourself settled and then get ready to dig in. No use of stressing over too many things at once.

Old 10-04-2007, 03:27 AM
Banned

Good luck MT! We're pullin' for you! Do you have any pics yet of this machine? I'd love to see what this thing looks like and I'm sure some of these other guys would as well.

Old 10-04-2007, 05:09 AM

Good luck on selling your apartment and no problemo on the offering of fairings. Its always better to sell them to someone who really needs them compared to someone who'll just trash them up. =) I'll get pics of it up. But I doubt you'll like the cherry red color. =) Because I love that color. Here's a picture of my bike.

I just got it 3 weeks ago? And I know almost everything about it! That's why she's ripped apart and having a total make over. Only thing is, she's being modernized. =)

Name:  IMG_0904.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  84.1 KB
Name:  IMG_0897.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  79.8 KB
Name:  IMG_0906.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  96.2 KB

Quick Reply: My f2, bought sight unseen, has arrived