My f2, bought sight unseen, has arrived

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 05:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My f2, bought sight unseen, has arrived

[:@]Hello everyone,

I traded my '97 Honda VFR 750 w/ 15,780 miles for a

'91 Honda CBR 600f2 w/19,000 miles

The f2 arrived in a container and today I finally got to open it and see it for myself.

The bike looked a lot worse than the cell phone pics: (sorry no pics, I'll explain later)

The bad:

-Bike won't start. The seller said he hadn't ridden it in 3 months but I think it's been a lot longer. Has a new battery and the starter sounds fine, the bike just won't fire, even w/choke out.

-Chain is rusty, very loose and has no lube

-Everything feels stiff and frozen...turning the handlebars from left to right takes a bit of effort..like it needs lube. Even putting down the kickstand takes effort.

-Front rim is bent. There's a small kink where he hit something on the edge of the rim.

-Seat is torn and looks like it's been in the sun for yrs. Needs a new seat cover.

-Both left/right fairings where the integrated front turn signals are located are cracked from going down.

-Front/rear tires are rideable but don't have much tread left

-Scratches here and there on the bike, and the clearcoat on the tank where you would put the tank sticker to prevent your belly rubbing it is coming off.

-The guy drove through tar or something, because there's spatter on the right fairing and the front airdam below the radiator. A bit on the engine, but not much.

-Some fairing screws are missing and the tank is a little loose.

The good:

-other than the bent rim and cracked fairings the rest of the bike is in pretty good shape. Tank has no dents. Some of the cbr stickers have some nicks but nothing I can't fix with touch-up paint

-I think the tar will come off easily with tar remover

-The brakes felt fine. I only squeezed the front not the rear, but it felt good as did the clutch.

-The lights/turn signals/horn all seem to work

-The shifter felt fine too. Goes into gear easily, but I'll have to see how it shifts when I actually can ride it.

I couldn't take cell phone pics because I had no camera. Also, I had to push the bike out of the dock area and wait for a ride from Cycle Sports. The guys were cool and put the bike on a trailer. They'll look at it and tell me what needs fixing and how much.

Any idea people how much I should expect to spend to make this bike right again?

Thank You

*never buy a bike sight unseen![/align]

Old 10-02-2007, 05:47 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: My f2, bought sight unseen, has arrived

yea I was thinkg why??? as I read lol

Good dude.

Old 10-02-2007, 05:52 PM

Yeah I'm in some trouble right now.
Any help/advice from anyone would really help me

Old 10-02-2007, 06:39 PM

please help, someone, anyone

Old 10-02-2007, 07:05 PM

please help me guys

I am in serious trouble

Old 10-02-2007, 07:21 PM

Calm yourself down. You messed up. Maybe you should give consideration to tearing the bike apart, figuring out what you'll need/what's wrong and making a list of things to do. Start asking/looking for parts in the For Sale Section. Or give consideration to parting it out. You'll probably need to tear everything down, change all fluids, and lube everything serviceable. Use some kerosene and a brush to try and salvage the chain.

Sorry to be so calous (sp), but were you drunk? Seriously, that VFR looks mint.

Old 10-02-2007, 07:24 PM

The bad:

-Bike won't start. The seller said he hadn't ridden it in 3 months but I think it's been a lot longer. Has a new battery and the starter sounds fine, the bike just won't fire, even w/choke out.

---carbs, bad gas etc. Cleaning with new jet stage 1 $165.00

-- New chain OEM or Aftermaket Rivited oring $ 130.00

-Everything feels stiff and frozen...turning the handlebars from left to right takes a bit of effort..like it needs lube. Even putting down the kickstand takes effort.

-- Bad head bearing. Not sure on cost figure couple hundred dollars. This also assumes the forks and triple clamps are good shape (not bent)

-Front rim is bent. There's a small kink where he hit something on the edge of the rim.

-- new rim $500 or 600 oem.

-Seat is torn and looks like it's been in the sun for yrs. Needs a new seat cover.

-- not sure what a covers cost

-Both left/right fairings where the integrated front turn signals are located are cracked from going down.

-- If wanting replacements $200 a piece unpainted

-- New 350 total depending on brand.

-Scratches here and there on the bike, and the clearcoat on the tank where you would put the tank sticker to prevent your belly rubbing it is coming off.

-The guy drove through tar or something, because there's spatter on the right fairing and the front airdam below the radiator. A bit on the engine, but not much.

-- good degreaser not toxic to the alumminum coating.

-- Screws are too expensive and easy enough to get

Labor from a shop, well 70 or 80 an hour. Though you are in Hawaii though so not sure if labor rates are close. Of course my estimates are that. You maybe able to get this stuff cheaper on ebay or even here.

Based on the bad, I would closely inspect the frame.

I'm sorry to hear this bike was not what was advertised. Alway hate to see that.[&o]

Old 10-02-2007, 07:24 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm just wondering why you traded a nice looking bike...
RB

Old 10-02-2007, 07:25 PM

As nice as the VFR is, and it is in near mint condition...I hated riding it.

Too heavy and bulky and too long for me....it would make my back sore.

I probably would've gotten used to it in time, but I was honestly not happy with it.

My biggest mistake was selling my first f2 about a year ago, some of you may remember my threads on that and not taking the advice of you all.

I don't want to make a bigger mistake of seeing this bike become a money pit so it's being checked out by a bike shop right now.

We'll see the damage and how much it'll cost to get it running.

I am ready for the worst.

Old 10-02-2007, 07:31 PM

ORIGINAL: Acara1796

The bad:

---carbs, bad gas etc. Cleaning with new jet stage 1 $165.00

-- New chain OEM or Aftermaket Rivited oring $ 130.00

-- Bad head bearing. Not sure on cost figure couple hundred dollars. This also assumes the forks and triple clamps are good shape (not bent)

-- new rim $500 or 600 oem.

-- not sure what a covers cost

-- If wanting replacements $200 a piece unpainted

-- New 350 total depending on brand.

-- good degreaser not toxic to the alumminum coating.

-- Screws are too expensive and easy enough to get

Labor from a shop, well 70 or 80 an hour. Though you are in Hawaii though so not sure if labor rates are close. Of course my estimates are that. You maybe able to get this stuff cheaper on ebay or even here.

Based on the bad, I would closely inspect the frame.

I'm sorry to hear this bike was not what was advertised. Alway hate to see that.[&o]

Acara, thank you for the info

Yes the labor is about $78/hr on Oahu.

I just want the bike to get running and slowly I'll take care of the other stuff over time.

Why is the bearing for the steering so much? I'd think that would be a simple fix, but maybe becasue they have to remove a lot of stuff to get to it?

Quick Reply: My f2, bought sight unseen, has arrived