CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

My f2, bought sight unseen, has arrived

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 07:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: My f2, bought sight unseen, has arrived

MT,

I haven't had to replace a set of head bearings on any of my bikes yet so I really didn't have a good reference. I figured that all the parts may need replacing and bearings can be expensive. The cost is propably not too high for parts alone. Add labor and it maybe that or more.

Anyway, I would work on it myself. (Riding is a life style for me, working on them is my hobby. ) A piece at a time. Not necessarily buying new either on wheels, body stuff, etc. Save the labor if you can.

Old 10-02-2007, 08:35 PM

Just keep cool. Listen to acara. separate each problem and prioritize. First get it running. Fresh gas, fresh plugs, lube the throttle cables so you don't stretch or break those. Go to work on the carbs. Follow the guide on this site somewhere, not hard, just tedious and time consuming. Don't waste money on having someone else do that for you.
In the meantime scout ebay for a wheel and seatcovering material. Follow the guide on here for fixing fairings with epoxy if you're on the cheap, or buy new fairings. Use the local hardware store to replace bolts, don't go to the dealership for something that trivial.
Change the oil in it, because I doubt this guy did. Buy a new chain and maybe sprockets. I got an o-ring chain, both front and rear sprockets with stock gearing from a place in Wisconsin here off ebay. the user name is sledpartsguy. I got all that for a hundred bucks, can't go wrong there.
The lesson? Don't buy stuff like this without knowing what you are getting into. If you knew you were getting the raw end in the first place, then trade up WITH CASH. If this guy can operate a phone, he can operate a camera, no excuse for that. You should have had pics that showed the chain, the cracks, and the condition of the seat. ALWAYS know what you are getting into!!
I'm not meaning to lecture, I've screwed myself on a deal before, its just a part of doing business. Don't beat yourself up over it, just regroup and come up with a game plan. You've got a HUGE resource here. I'm willing to bet all the money in my wallet (very small amount, but sounds impressive) that there isn't a problem that this forum can't find a solution to.
Alright! Lets get to it!!

Old 10-02-2007, 09:19 PM

Elmer said it and I forgot to write. This forum is an excellent resource and I'm sure everyone here will help as much as they can. So no worries!

Old 10-02-2007, 09:36 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stupid question....have the titles been transferred?

Old 10-02-2007, 10:32 PM

Yes the titles have been swapped.

I'm S.O.L. but at least I have my f2 family here

Thanks guys I do appreciate the heartfelt responses

Old 10-02-2007, 10:33 PM

ORIGINAL: Acara1796

Elmer said it and I forgot to write. This forum is an excellent resource and I'm sure everyone here will help as much as they can. So no worries!
I appreciate it you don't know how much it means to me

Old 10-02-2007, 10:35 PM

Yes Acara I will try to do stuff myself.

The project is on the shelf for now. I may eventually sell this whole bike for parts and then get a new one

In a few years.

I'll let you guys know if I do part it out

ORIGINAL: Acara1796

MT,

I haven't had to replace a set of head bearings on any of my bikes yet so I really didn't have a good reference. I figured that all the parts may need replacing and bearings can be expensive. The cost is propably not too high for parts alone. Add labor and it maybe that or more.

Anyway, I would work on it myself. (Riding is a life style for me, working on them is my hobby. ) A piece at a time. Not necessarily buying new either on wheels, body stuff, etc. Save the labor if you can.

Old 10-02-2007, 10:39 PM

I know what you mean elmer and I have taken this lesson to heart.

First time in my life I've been scammed like this but there's always a first for everything I guess.

My first red flag was during our first conversation when he told me he couldn't get digital camera pics uploaded. That was my warning. I chose to ignore it.

Anyway, goodbye VFR. Hope you don't suffer the same, neglected fate as the '91 f2
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...Picture039.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...Picture038.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...Picture041.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...Picture036.jpg

ORIGINAL: elmer

Just keep cool. Listen to acara. separate each problem and prioritize. First get it running. Fresh gas, fresh plugs, lube the throttle cables so you don't stretch or break those. Go to work on the carbs. Follow the guide on this site somewhere, not hard, just tedious and time consuming. Don't waste money on having someone else do that for you.
In the meantime scout ebay for a wheel and seatcovering material. Follow the guide on here for fixing fairings with epoxy if you're on the cheap, or buy new fairings. Use the local hardware store to replace bolts, don't go to the dealership for something that trivial.
Change the oil in it, because I doubt this guy did. Buy a new chain and maybe sprockets. I got an o-ring chain, both front and rear sprockets with stock gearing from a place in Wisconsin here off ebay. the user name is sledpartsguy. I got all that for a hundred bucks, can't go wrong there.
The lesson? Don't buy stuff like this without knowing what you are getting into. If you knew you were getting the raw end in the first place, then trade up WITH CASH. If this guy can operate a phone, he can operate a camera, no excuse for that. You should have had pics that showed the chain, the cracks, and the condition of the seat. ALWAYS know what you are getting into!!
I'm not meaning to lecture, I've screwed myself on a deal before, its just a part of doing business. Don't beat yourself up over it, just regroup and come up with a game plan. You've got a HUGE resource here. I'm willing to bet all the money in my wallet (very small amount, but sounds impressive) that there isn't a problem that this forum can't find a solution to.
Alright! Lets get to it!!

Old 10-02-2007, 11:02 PM

just curious - in your opinion, what is the approximate worth of each bike?

Old 10-02-2007, 11:09 PM

The '91 f2 I got, is worth about $1,000.

It needs a new front rim...I was quoted $633.00 for a brand new, genuine Honda rim.

New chain and sprockets..cost?

Front fork oil/seals...$300

Carb rebuild... $700

CCT....cost?

Not to mention lubing everything that's stuck, fixing the broken fairings, re-touching or repainting parts of the bike that are rashed.

The instrument cluster and triple tree are in really great shape, so is the custom red windscreen. Probably the best part of the bike.

ORIGINAL: notny41

just curious - in your opinion, what is the approximate worth of each bike?
I did the Kelly Blue Book used motorcycle value thing, and it says $4,000

But in reality, being that this is Oahu and people do things/think about things a bit differently...I don't think I would get anywhere near that price here.

Maybe $3,000 tops or probably more likely $28 - $2500 because that VFR is not a popular bike.

A couple VFR's were on sale for months here and the sellers had to keep dropping their prices.

Even a VFR 800 was going for $4200 but then dropped to$3800 !!! Wtih under 10,000 miles

Quick Reply: My f2, bought sight unseen, has arrived