CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

My CBR mods!

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2014, 02:18 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Wait, goat is baaaack?

Hey everyone! I figured it was time to stop lurking in the shadows and show some progress. Basically, this post is just to put a few pics up, and in the morning ill post a few more and kinda say whats been going on for the last 8 months.

So i finally started my f4i swap on the front. Mainly just throwing fairings up to see how they fit and whatnot. I DID however get my new gauge all wired up (japanes knock off) . Its kinda small but seems ok. I have to build myself an rpm signal filter to fix an issue with the tach (jns along with many others have had the same issues with their koso's).

I even got the gauge mount to the fairing bracket! That part actually was quite easy.

Please remember that none of these parts are in a permanent location, i was just test fitting them

She is naked!
Name:  20140206_134539.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  134.7 KB

My nasty mess of wires =/
Name:  20140206_134524.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  172.0 KB

Better view of my rear bracket for the 600rr tail if any one cares
Name:  20140206_134710.jpg
Views: 31
Size:  125.6 KB

Test fitting gauge
Name:  20140206_134959.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  112.7 KB

It lights up! (first startup)
Name:  20140206_135117.jpg
Views: 62
Size:  132.9 KB

Test fitting of front cowl
Name:  20140206_134940.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  119.5 KB

And thats all for now! Ill get a few more pics uploaded to photobuclet in the morning and give a more detailed update.

Night everyone

Old 02-08-2014, 03:05 AM
Retired Super Moderator, Tin Star Man & Hurricane Saloon Prospect, ROTM Feb 2015

Just and observation but I`d strongly advise against using that spirit level under the sidestand if you are planning to still use it in the future...

Old 02-08-2014, 11:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great work !

Old 02-08-2014, 01:02 PM
Welcome Crew and ROTY 2014
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So that's all you got done in 8 months?!? Wait, were you in jail?

Just messin' with you goat, but seriously, I was wonderin' what happened to you! Good luck with getting the fairings mocked up and eventually mounted, and keep us posted.

Old 02-09-2014, 12:50 AM

Mattson - that level was bought from goodwill for like 50 cents so im not too worried about it. This one was purchased for decoration only (fiancee was setting things up for some photos at her store).i use it because a 2x4 was just a little too thick and made the bike prone to tipping over. i dont honestly know what a spirit level is =/ is it just that "style" of level?
Edit: googled it and now i feel dumb. I have a nice 3 ft aluminum spirit level i use matt. Thanks for looking out for me though. Always appreciated =)

Jns - lol no i wasnt in jail. It was prison.
Just kidding. I had mentioned before that i was living in an apartment and that was preventing me from getting any work done on my bike. Well during my hiatus, i moved into a house back in my hometown and it has a two car garage! So now i have a place to work (though its cold as **** right now). I also started a new job, which has also taken away some time.

I did minor work during the time i was gone. Specifically, sanding down the f4i fairings then priming and painting them. I started clear coating them before the temperatures dropped here, but only got a few coats.

Im not honestly all that happy with rattle can clear coat. It doesnt go on smooth and i feel like im going to need like 20 coats before i can buff it at all.

The paint came out decent though. Just lots of paints and then super fine sanding, and more paint. I wish i had access to a spray gun for the clear coat though to finiah it off =/

Last edited by goatxxmastr; 02-09-2014 at 12:57 AM.
Old 02-09-2014, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by goatxxmastr
Jns - lol no i wasnt in jail. It was prison.
Just kidding. I had mentioned before that i was living in an apartment and that was preventing me from getting any work done on my bike. Well during my hiatus, i moved into a house back in my hometown and it has a two car garage! So now i have a place to work (though its cold as **** right now). I also started a new job, which has also taken away some time.
Well, stay behaved while you're on parole!

Congrats on the new place by the way, and yeah, now I recall that you were working out of an apartment, which is definitely not ideal for a bike owner in any way, especially when it comes to working on the bike.

Originally Posted by goatxxmastr
Im not honestly all that happy with rattle can clear coat. It doesnt go on smooth and i feel like im going to need like 20 coats before i can buff it at all.

The paint came out decent though. Just lots of paints and then super fine sanding, and more paint. I wish i had access to a spray gun for the clear coat though to finiah it off =/
Rattle can paint is definitely a sketchy affair, especially the clear-coat - my race bike was done completely with spray paint, but that's race plastic, and to some degree it doesn't matter, as crashes are inevitable, but, that said, I'm done with spray paint at this point, and will use a professional setup from here on, for street and race paint work.

You mention that you're thinking of using a spray gun for the final clear-coat, but what are you going to spray with it? What I mean is, are you planning on covering the existing work with automotive quality finish clear-coat? Now I've got no personal experience with this, because I've been advised by several painters and suppliers against it, but it seems that the general consensus is that you cannot put automotive finishes over spray paint... well, you can,but the results are supposedly disastrous.

Old 04-11-2014, 10:34 PM

So, buttoned up some things the last couple days. Forgot to take pictures of the stay brackets i made. Will be trying to take picks tomorrow as people are already asking for them. I just hacked up an old "no parking" sign to make em. Pretty rough, but they work. Still have a lightweight rear sprocket to put on, some decals to stick on, and i would really like to paint the rims red.

The gauges are still screwy. I need to solder the speedo wires to get that going, and the tach is all over the place, not even close to accurate (11k at idel and 4k at high revs? Lol) Im building a low pass setup to wire in that im hoping will solve the problem. Also, i thought i had bulbs for the head lights, but i guess not. Planning on getting some dual filament bulbs so i can have em both on and still habe high beams as well.

Now heres some pics!

Name:  20140411_192719.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  97.4 KB

Name:  20140411_192727.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  138.7 KB

Name:  20140411_192757.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  120.1 KB

Name:  20140411_192812.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  128.1 KB

Old 04-12-2014, 01:14 PM

Looks good, Goat!!

Old 04-12-2014, 03:16 PM

Thank you sir! Feels good to be back. Took her out on a test run last night and forgot how it feels. Feels so much better at high speeds. The oem fairings really drag compaired to these. Still need to get the gauges going though. Woild like to have used the oem gauges but i dont know if i can get em to fit.

Old 04-14-2014, 12:48 AM

Alright, with some photo help from gtcole, i got my stock gauges to the point that i can moint em! So i can finally finish this conversion up soon! I thought i had some h7 bulbs for the headlihht, but turns out they were blown =/ if anyone knows of dual filament bulbs with the same base as the h7, lemme kniw. I would like to have both lights on at the same time but also retain high beams.

Anyeays, i know you all lobe pictures
Name:  20140413_192245.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  77.0 KB

Quick Reply: My CBR mods!