CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

missing @ 5k

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2008, 11:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default missing @ 5k

Just wondering here, do your F2's smell like raw gas at the pipe under idle when you first start it?

I have developed a miss at around 4-5k under load. Doesnt miss on the stands. Blast the throttle, run it up easily through the tach no miss only when I ride. I replaced the plugs and air filter and have tried the sea foam trick. weather is nasty so I havent ridden since the plug change. It has always smelled really strong of raw fuel at the rear sitting still since Ive had it. Does yours do that or do I need to look into a carb cleaning and syncing.

Thanks for any replies and suggestions

Old 05-03-2008, 09:40 AM
Default RE: missing @ 5k

mine did when it was running really rich. I just did dynojet jet kit, its better. But I still need a carb sync. The flippen dealer said between 120$ 150$ for the sync! You can buy the damn tool for like 100$ and 30 minsto do the job! I HATE dealers! what did your old plugs look like?

Old 05-03-2008, 08:44 PM

Plugs looked okay. Not wet at all. Not burned or white either.

Took the bike for spin tonight and its running GREAT! still misses but only @ 4500 rpm. Nothing before or after. Still smells rich at idle.

Not going to the dealer. I have a local shop that I may ask a price for that work or I may ride until I cant stand it anymore.

As for jetting it has a D&D slip on and had a K&N filter in it so I am assuming it has a jet kit in, but I really dont know. Thats the way it was set up when I got it.

Old 05-04-2008, 01:00 PM

thats the exact same setup I have( D&D, UNI filter). You should verify that its got a jet kit. I installed the dynojet kit last week and has helped alot. swapped to 126DJ mains and the needle on the third from the top. you may also want to check for air leaks. I had a large leak where my air box had melted. fixed that and jetted and it seems to be running much better. I also ran seafoam through the engine.
HTH Shawn

Old 05-04-2008, 10:30 PM

Okay. Thanks for the advice. I took it out tonight and still cant believe how much smoother it is with just a sparkplug/airfilter change. Im sure I will get more into it if the miss gets worse, but for now 70 deg days Im gonna ride til I feel like it wont get me back home and a may ride anyway and keep a trailer on standby. Dont think the trailer is a really necessary though. Crack the throttle and it just blasts through the speedo. Not worried just frustrated. I know it can run better but its doing ok now.

Thanks againfor the adviceand later in the season Im going to look into that jet kit. Where did you get yours and how much do they cost. Is it a do-it-yourself or a shop repair/upgrade?

Old 05-05-2008, 09:01 AM

Not sure if either of you guys would be interested in this, but from what I've read on the internet its not complicated at all to build your own carb syncing tool, otherwise referred to as a manometer. Usually I don't make recommendations on something I haven't already done personally, but its on my list. Just give it a google, apparantly one can be built for the cost of several feet of clear hose, some fittings and some used motor oil.

Old 05-05-2008, 05:24 PM

I got my jet kit from Dennis Kirk(119.99). If you have worked with carbs at all, Its a piece of cake to install. It takes longer to remove the carb rack from the bike than is does to install the jet kit!

Elmer, thanks for the search term! I had searched google already, but came up empty. I'll take another look.

Shawn

Old 05-06-2008, 06:57 AM

I can smell traces of unburnt fuel in mine even when the bike is warm and I am at a traffic light, but I know I'm running rich. I have no hesitation or stumbling issues though. I'm thinking you do need the carb sync and adjustment.

Old 05-06-2008, 09:26 AM

these are the things I come up with:

http://www.r6central.com/forums/r6-h...sync-tool.html

There's some links to other things within the R6 thread, check out the ninja 250 sync tool setup as well.

http://www.650ccnd.com/mano.htm

or alternatively....

http://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/...de;%3C-sup%3E/

but thats no fun.

Maybe if I have time this summer I will attempt to make one of these and post my own howto, but right now I'm a little bit busy.

Old 05-06-2008, 10:34 PM

Thanks guys for all the help and suggestions. I cant figure this bike out. It has a small miss, no hesitation, and super throttle response. I can blast through the speedometer no problem. Still smell the raw fuel so Im sure it does need the carbs cleaned and synced, but running as well as it is I cant stand the thought of downtime while the weather is nice.

Heard it make the marble in the crank case noise yesterday on the stands. It only made the noise for a second, but I still ordered the manual cam chain tensioner. Could that contribute to my miss? Has anyone else that has had that happen noticed a miss and did the tensioner correct the issue?

Thanks again for all the help so far.