F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

missing key

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 11:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default missing key

Hi all,
I recently bought a '03 CBR F4i from an insurance auction web site. Bike has no key and locked steering.
I figured I would remove the ignition switch to retrieve key code and get a key cut at the dealer.
After 2 hours of front-end dismantling. I managed to remove two bolts that hold the ignition switch. But there is a metal prong from steering stem protruding into a hole in the ignition switch. So it wobbles but it won't come out. I guess that's why service manual reads remove top bridge first to set it free. But I read someone else's response on removing top bridge and he mentions that if the steering is locked, there is no way you can remove top bridge:
http://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?p=1806905
So, I am STUCK!! [:@]And now I also think to myself, if you lock the steering with
ignition key, how can you ever unlock the steering, even ifyou remove the ignition switch module. Please help, I am going CRAZY here!

Thanks guys!

-Ben-

Old 11-21-2008, 12:07 PM
Ironmang
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: missing key

Call a locksmith, they'll be able to cut you a new key. A buddy of mine down in south florida (who also rides... 1000RR) is a locksmith, and he's cut a good number of keys for bikes for people who lost their keys.... it's not hard

Old 11-21-2008, 12:22 PM

Jared,
Thank you for the response and I guess that will be the last resort option...

Old 11-21-2008, 01:21 PM

you should call the locksmith first. see if they can come to the bike and cut the key. it'll probably end up being cheaper than going to the dealer as well.

Old 11-21-2008, 02:19 PM

Take your bill of sale with you, some locksmiths won't unlock and make you a key cuz it could be a stolen bike. So if you can prove its yours you will be fine.

Old 11-21-2008, 02:24 PM

Thanks Rennen and Stephens.
If/when I throw in the towel, I will bring the title with me. But for now, I will try to get it done myself.
P.S. Stephens, I have the same color scheme and tail lights as yours

-Ben-

Old 11-21-2008, 02:29 PM

Hey Ben, you picked a good color scheme for your bike. If you have questions, just ask. There's alot of experience here on this forum. You can learn alot, just be sure to ask the right questions. Sometimes we get a bit of sarcasm.

Old 11-21-2008, 02:38 PM

I appreciate it Stephens! I am sure I will have more questions, once I get this issue resolved. I intend to do a through maintenance on this bad boy, once I get it to run
Thanks !!

-Ben-

Old 11-21-2008, 10:16 PM

well get her unlocked?

Old 11-21-2008, 10:35 PM

I'm actually a locksmith apprentice right now... and it's really easy to get a key made for a bike. You don't even need to take the ignition out. There's a patent out for a certain product that can make keys for any bike without taking anything apart. However, a locksmith will most likely charge you a trip charge (50-100 dollars) and to make a key it'd be about 10-25 to make the key, and about 3-4 dollars for the key itself. So overall IF the locksmith were to come to you, you're looking at about 75-130 bucks.

Quick Reply: missing key