CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

installed new clutch, now wont ingage

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2008, 12:22 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: installed new clutch, now wont ingage

When you pull in the clutch lever does it feel firm? Like a normal clutch should?

When you let the clutch out while it is in gear, can you push the bike around?

Does it make any strange noises?

Did it work before you took it apart?

Have you tried in all of the gears?(1-6)

Old 03-01-2008, 05:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes when i pull the clutch lever it feels firm like it used to, and the tighter i make the cable the harder it is to pull, No when i let the clutch out or even when i pull it in with it in gear i can not move the back wheel, i currently have it on bike stands to help, i had it started the first time i did the clutches, and put the oil in and fired it up, it made no strange noises ran fine, then i pulled in the clutch to put it in gear and i had no clutch, and yes it work fine with my old clutch, the only problem i had was it was starting to slip, so i figured while it was down for the winter i would to a clutch job. I read up on here on how to do it, downloaded the manual, and it seemed like a pretty simple process, and everytime i have tore it apart and put it back together it semmed fine and wet together smooth. I have checked, rechecked, and even triple checked it before everything, and it will go in all gears but the clutch does not work at all, lol any help would be much appriciated, i might try to put my old ones back in tomorrow and see if they work, but who knows i still have a few weeks before riding time.

thanks for the fast response also

Old 03-01-2008, 05:46 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Are you trying to turn the wheel by hand or with the running engine?

I'm confused, the wheel doesn't turn no matter if the clutch is engaged or disengaged?

Old 03-01-2008, 08:43 PM

just by hand, now, the first time it was with the motor running, and the clutch did not work, so instead of wasting more oil i have been trying to turn it by hand with the clutch lever in. shouldnt it turn with the clutch lever pulled in???

Old 03-01-2008, 09:21 PM

Did you count the number for friction and steel plates compared to your old ones? Also i would take things apart and stack the new clutch plates and compare their height to the old one and see if there is any large difference. Also i would do the same thing with the clutch springs. If you happen to run one less clutch disc then you might have this problem, or they are the wrong thickness and the pressure plate will only go in so much. It is hard to diagnosis over the net. Are you using a stock clutch parts or aftermarket?

Old 03-01-2008, 10:01 PM

here is the clutch kit i got http://store.58cycle.com/product_p/b...20kit%20f2.htm. there are the same amount of fibers and steels i counted them when i got the new ones. The only diffrence was the springs were maybe a coil in a half or 2 bigger than my other ones, so ofcourse i put the others ones in and still the same problem. I plan on trying to put my old ones back in tommorrow and see if that works. Also if i push the clutch in should i be able to turn the wheel by hand if the clutch is working properly??? I had a similar problem on my dads 4 wheeler when we rebuilt the motor, i cant realy remember what it was, but if i remember correctly when the clutch was working properly, i could push in the clutch lever and the wheels would turn. Yes this is hard to figure out over the net lol, thats why if after i get the book i cant figure it out its heading to the shop lol. and again thanks to everyone for there help. Its much appriciated.

Old 03-01-2008, 10:28 PM

Zville - Hey man, I'm going through the same problem, but I didn't even touch my clutch or anything. I took the motor off the bike and stored it for about 4 months. It ran perfectly fine up to 13k rpms and no signs of any slippage. When I put the bike together the clutch wouldn't fully ingage. When the bike is running, and I pull the clutch lever in, and put it into first, my bike dies because it catches the gear when its not suppose to. I have no idea why my clutch is acting up when it was perfectly fine... I'll open it up and see.

-Jasper

Old 04-02-2008, 06:33 AM

I just got the bike back from the dealership, and talked to the mechanic about what was going on.( and i feel like a jackass lol) After getting fed up i just bite the bullet, so the mechanic told me that when i took out the clutch basket, I did not line up the holes on the back of it to the oil pump, so in return the cluth's did not go back far enough to work properly. Now $144 later the bike is back on the road, and i leared a lesson, DONT take the clutch basket out unless i need to lol. Thanks for everyones input on trying to help me out on this, i just cant belive that i overlooked that one little thing, i guess next time i will know.