CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

Hydraulic clutch ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2012, 03:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hydraulic clutch ?

Ups and downs of a hydraulic clutch? I'm thinking about swapping out my cable set up with a hydraulic one. Which one if better? I'm thinking the hydraulic clutch is much easier to pull than a cable. It seems more common on dirt bikes. Is there an explanation for that? Thanks

Old 12-15-2012, 07:31 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think you are setting yourself up for disaster. I really don't know if it is possible or they make a kit for it anyways. One, you have to purchase everything to make it work and with that comes more headaches, two also more things to go wrong. Our bikes are not state of the art; meaning you are not setting land speed records or record breaking lap times with a 600 F2. I like your prowess for faster shifting, but not really worthwhile spending time or money on for a small fraction of better shifting.I could see a newer bike and better technology to have something like this. But our bikes are analog living in a digital world. This is of course my opinion and go for it if you want to. But I am sure not too many or if all have made that transition to be able to help you figure this out.

Old 12-15-2012, 03:49 PM

Hell no,don't do it.I would gladly swap my hyd clutch on my CBR1100 for the cable clutch of my F2.Yes 2 different machines but I have drag raced both (a lot) and cable is just a bit smoother and definately more controllable at launch.Shifting in upper gears is about the same feel.
My cable lasted forever,the 1100 just needed a rebuild on the slave cylinder,you have to change the fluid at least every 2 years,one day the m/cyl will need a rebuild.
To me the hyd clutch is more lever effort.

Old 12-15-2012, 04:33 PM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had one with my 84 Nighthawk 700SC. I loved it, but I am strictly a street-only guy.
It had a smooth progressive feel. While there's maintenance involved, for my miles, it was less time spent.

I thought about getting a Magura after-market kit for my 98CBRF3.
http://powersportskatalog.magura.com/?language=en
However, I decided, I had already spent way more than the bike is worth, already.
The most significant advantage I can see is pure consistancy of the 'feel'.
Even properly-maintained, cables change the feel over time, between adjustments.

And cables do break, so there is, (imo) an increased reliability, inherent to a hydralic
system.

Of course this is only an opinion, but that is what you asked for.

Ern

Last edited by MadHattr059; 12-15-2012 at 04:53 PM.
Old 12-16-2012, 02:10 PM

I see, thanks for your inputs! If I end up going for it and getting a hydraulic clutch, I'll post a review. Or I might just go buy a cable clutch to replace my broken cable. Thanks again.

Old 12-17-2012, 09:05 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Alot or roadracers on bikes that came stock with hydraulic clutch, removed the hydraulic clutch and put a regular cable type clutch. My buddies 93 ZX7 club roadracer had hydraulic clutch and he was always messing with it. He was going to getting the cable conversion but got a newer bike instead.

Old 12-20-2012, 02:27 PM

My guess as to why Hydraulic clutches are more common on dirtbikes:

Because you need to feather the clutch to find grip in the dirt and a hydraulic clutch has better 'feel'
+ you need to be able to pull the clutch with little notice when hill climbing and the front comes up and hydraulic is less effort at the lever... only one finger needed and you can leave that one finger 'covering' the lever at all times
+ arm pump is a problem for most dirtbikers and therefore less effort at the lever is a big savings while arm pump is not a problem for most street riders.
+ on the street you are not using the clutch as a variable switch (feathering/slipping it) as much (obviously you do need to do so for launches, etc.) where as you need to feather/slip the clutch in all gears when riding the dirt to regain traction or to allow rear to free roll over an obstacle (free rolling back wheel is a lot less likely to slide out on you when off camber)

Old 12-20-2012, 04:11 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd advise against it. Dislike it on my Rc51 and would switch to a cable setup if I had the $500 laying around for the kit. Some hydraulic systems work well and consistently ('06-07 CBR1000RR) and others don't. Most of that's been said by others. One other thing which you might consider, you can't really "adjust" the hydraulic setup except for changing out masters/slave cylinders or shimming the pistons.

Old 12-24-2012, 06:51 AM

Forget the headache of a hydraulic clutch. Cable is simple and it works. Don't fix what ain't broke.