CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

HELP! Another rectifier/charging problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 03:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! Another rectifier/charging problem

Here's what happened to my bike:

1. A few weeks ago, my bike just won't start. At first I just thought it was just the battery...I recharge it but when I got home and turned off the ignition then tried to turn it on again, it failed. So I checked my rectifier, the vlotage goes up until 17.x-18.x volts. So I had to change the rectifier.

2. I also bought a new battery at this moment.

3. Asked an electrician (the "best one" here as the local forum here vouch for him, an ECE grad and 38 yrs riding experiece) to get me a rectifier. He brougt one, quite a big one with 6 wires coming out of it (3 yellows, 1 red, 1 black, and 1 orange; it has some chinese character in it) then wired it to my bike. Initial voltage is around 15.2 and never goes up. He told me it's just normal since it initially charging. So I trust him.

4. Next day, I tried to start it and it did fine. And had it idling for a couple of minutes. I touch the rectifier and it felt I got almost burn by its heat.

What could possibly cause the rectifier to heat up like that? Bad wiring?

My bike wont start again today since the battery was drained.

Please help.

Thanks in advance.

Old 08-12-2008, 08:14 AM
Banned
Default RE: HELP! Another rectifier/charging problem

Did you ever touch your R/R before? It does get rather hot. Now whether it's getting unnaturally hot is hard to tell. I'd ask him whe.re he got it and if it's made for your bike. I've heard of other CBR owners us.ing other makes of R/R and rewiring them and they work fine. It just could be case of bad wiring. They also have aftermarket finned R/Rs for F2s out there. You need only look on ebay. If it keeps giving you problems, I'd try one of those.

Old 08-12-2008, 08:53 AM

ORIGINAL: gnuwolf

....Asked an electrician (the "best one" here as the local forum here vouch for him, an ECE grad and 38 yrs riding experiece) to get me a rectifier.....
Just a friendly suggestion from a professional technician: Perhaps you should let him do the diagnosis, rather than ordering parts you don't know for sure are bad. It usually winds up being cheaper in the long run.

Old 08-12-2008, 09:08 AM

R/Rs on our bikes should be 5 wire IIRC. Also, the battery NEEDS to be charged PRIOR to installation or you'll kill it.

Old 08-12-2008, 09:20 AM

ORIGINAL: Rickracer

....Asked an electrician (the "best one" here as the local forum here vouch for him, an ECE grad and 38 yrs riding experiece) to get me a rectifier.....
Just a friendly suggestion from a professional technician: Perhaps you should let him do the diagnosis, rather than ordering parts you don't know for sure are bad. It usually winds up being cheaper in the long run.
He diagnosed that it's the rectifier that's why I asked him to get me a new one.

What rectifier do you use in your bikes? OEM? Ebay? EMGO? GSXR?

Old 08-12-2008, 10:10 AM

Oh, FWIW the OE non finned version gets super freaking hot. My leg gets hot and that is even with the air and plastic forming a barrier. I have a GSXR one for installation once I find my taps.

Old 08-12-2008, 06:43 PM

....He diagnosed that it's the rectifier that's why I asked him to get me a new one. ...
Sorry, I misunderstood, [8D]

Old 08-13-2008, 01:10 AM

I'm using a 97-98 gsxr one. I had an extra laying around from when I bought my brother a 97 gsxr. The gsxr one that I used was 5 wired. 1 hot 1 ground and 3 neutral ones. They match up to the cbrs. Never had it get really hot or had my battery ever under/overcharged.