CBR 600F 1987 - 1990 CBR 600F Forum

Charging Problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2007, 12:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Charging Problem

When I bought this bike the seller said the old battery (only one year old) would not take a charge. He put a new battery in and charged it enough to get it started. I charged it the rest of the way when I got home. He also gave the old battery which I charged also.

I rode the bike 50 miles and the new battery went completely dead. I had to push start it and fortunately made it home. My son put the battery that used to be in the bike in his Yamaha and it is working fine.

This leads me to believe that something is wrong with the charging system. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Barry

Old 10-21-2007, 09:36 AM
Default RE: Charging Problem

Check the connections to the Regulator/Rectifier and also the stator. Hondas have inherent Regulator/Rectifier problems. Fortunately that seems to be their ONLY problem. If you were able to push start it, the R/R is probably not charging after it gets hot. You also need to check the stator wires and make sure the wires are not burnt. You need to measure the resistance etween the three stator connections and also make sure the stator is putting out A/C voltage. Do a search for stator for more info on resistance values as I do not know them off the top of my head.

Old 10-22-2007, 11:09 AM

Thanks, I appreciate it.

It looks like I need to remove the tank to get to the Regulator?

Barry

Old 10-22-2007, 12:09 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It would be easiest to get to it, but I don't think it is required, I would have to double check, but I thought I could get in there with the tank on it. Make sure to check those connections like 502 said, if the r/r went, the plug to the stator will be fried.

Old 10-22-2007, 06:25 PM

Where can I buy the Rectifier? The ones I'm finding online are in the $160-200 range. Also, are there ones from other brands that will fit?

Thanks,
Barry

Old 10-23-2007, 06:49 AM

ORIGINAL: honda502

Check the connections to the Regulator/Rectifier and also the stator. Hondas have inherent Regulator/Rectifier problems. Fortunately that seems to be their ONLY problem. If you were able to push start it, the R/R is probably not charging after it gets hot. You also need to check the stator wires and make sure the wires are not burnt. You need to measure the resistance etween the three stator connections and also make sure the stator is putting out A/C voltage. Do a search for stator for more info on resistance values as I do not know them off the top of my head.
Good answer - 0.1 - 1.0 Ohms yellow to yellow (stator) and no continuity between each terminal and ground.
Had the same problem. Chances are it is the regulator / rectifier.
battery was OK and so was the alternator. Replaced with aftermarket
reg. / rectifier and runs great now. http://www.bikebandit.com/product/A3390319 $99.00

It was easier to remove the tank to get to everything because you will want to check the connectors. Two notes on the aftermarket reg./rectifier...
1. you will need two shorter bolts or some washers if you prefer.
2. you can swap your OEM connector with the connector on the new part for a better connection so don't throw away your old reg. rectifier until you get the new one.

On the same note....
The service manual states.. and I quote " If the battery is overcharged, replace the regulator/ rectifier."
I wonder if I accidentally destroyed my own reg./rectifier. I was using a manual battery charger..... hmmmm! Oh well, water under the bridge. Works fine now!

Old 10-23-2007, 09:56 AM

I think the quote " If the battery is overcharged, replace the regulator/ rectifier." means if the battery is being overcharged by the r/r then to replace it b/c it is not charging accurately; not by simply overcharging the battery itself. One way I know is a for sure to fry your r/r is to jump your bike from a running car.

Old 10-23-2007, 10:05 AM

One way I know is a for sure to fry your r/r is to jump your bike from a running car.
When I picked this bike up the owner was jumping the battery from his truck. He had bought the battery that day and didn't have enough time to charge it.

Old 10-23-2007, 10:43 AM

ORIGINAL: blaster

One way I know is a for sure to fry your r/r is to jump your bike from a running car.
When I picked this bike up the owner was jumping the battery from his truck. He had bought the battery that day and didn't have enough time to charge it.
Was it running? It is fine to jump it from a car that is not running, or even one of those jump boxes.

Also, the battery needed to be charged? When I buy my batteries I have to open the top, pour in the acid, and then seal it, and she is ready to go from there; fully charged.

Old 10-23-2007, 11:00 AM

Was it running? It is fine to jump it from a car that is not running, or even one of those jump boxes.
When I pulled up to get the bike he had the jumper cables on the bike and his truck and was running his truck.

Also, the battery needed to be charged? When I buy my batteries I have to open the top, pour in the acid, and then seal it, and she is ready to go from there; fully charged.
He said when he bought the battery they said it needed to be charged. They charged it at the motorcycle shop for a couple of hours and he picked it up before it was charged fully, so he needed to jump it to get it started.

When I got it home I hooked it to my charger and charged it up all the way.

Quick Reply: Charging Problem