CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

Headlight switch/wiring problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2006, 05:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight switch/wiring problems

Hey, I have a cbr f2 and recently the headlight just stopped working. Usually it goes on with the key turned, off when cranking, then back on when started. It doesn't do jack squat anymore. The bulb is good, I have it hardwired to the battery and disconnect when i'm done....really annoying however. Anyone know what went out? Or what controlls the light going on/off?

Old 07-26-2006, 06:28 AM
Default RE: Headlight switch/wiring problems

bump.

ever figure this one out?

mine's doing the same thing.

Old 07-26-2006, 07:33 AM

1st things 1st
does it work on main beam & if you push the pass switch will it work?
Next do you have power to the block connector that plugs to the bulb?
Then check the fuse in the fuse box thats probably your fault [:@]
if not you have to check for power to your fuse box.
if everything is ok then your looking at a wiring fault or maybe a switch fault
send a post let us know how you get on

Old 07-26-2006, 04:47 PM

the fuses are ok. i'll meter the connections and see if there's power.

continuity question: should the + and - terminals on the 3 prong for the headlight and the harness supposed to be a continuous loop? gah i hate being circuit retarded...

Old 07-27-2006, 08:50 AM

The green wire is Ground or Earth
so connect your neg to this one
The Blue wire to the block is High or main beam
The white wire is Dip Beam headlamp
connect your Positive to these and switch between high & low beam to see if you got current
also check the pass switch on the blue wire for volts,
you probably got a switch problem if your fuses are ok

Old 08-24-2006, 04:06 AM

I just had this same problem on my 91 F2.
I couldn't figure it out for the life of me, replaced the (H4) headlight bulb, cleaned the headlamp plug ins (both the male/female ends) and still had the problem (But not quite as frequently). What mine was doing was VERY similar, Turn the key on, it come on (most of the time) crank it and it flicker off/on (Would stay on if lucky). I'd go ride, hit a few road bumps and <blip> lights out.
After some extensive poking around, I found I had power to the headlight, (used a Voltmeter to check) fuses were all fine, cleaned fuse box anyways, checked for bad grounds (cleaned them just because), and finally found the problem by wiggling various wires up front. My problem was this:
On the Ignition (Right hand throttle) There is a line of wires into it. Mine was loose and dangling a bit. I shoved it back into its little hole so it wouldn't dangle/or move around. It has now stayed on consistantly for the passed 5 days of riding. I am planning on opening up the Ignition Switch this weekend to fix it properly but for now it's fine. The light comes on when key turned and I think it's normal for it to flicker when cranking, as my old CBR F2 did this too. Now though, the light stays on, seems brighter, doesn't dim/brighten according to RPMs, and I can flick the High/low Beams on/off all day with no problems. If you have the same problem (or think you do) do like I did and see if thats the problem. I Highly suggest replacing the H4 bulb to make sure to eliminate that from being the problem (or fighting 2 problems at once as was my issue) they are cheap and it's not a bad thing to have a spare bulb in the garage. Then once the bulb is replaced, GENTLY wiggle the wires that go into the Ignition Switch while the bike is running. Hopefully you will get the same results as me. Good Luck and let me know how things turn out.

Old 08-24-2006, 01:58 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a simular problem. Was riding down the highway at night and bam, ALL of the lights went out. Headlight, dash lights, turn lights. Pitch black. Turns out a connection behind the cluster and come loose and caused the problem. 99% sure you just have a loose connection somewhere.