F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

headlight problems ( checked starter switch.. )

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 01:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default headlight problems ( checked starter switch.. )

Hey guys, my headlight is acting up. We all know the headlight shuts off and turns back on when the bike starts, for awhile on my bike the headlight would only turn on after the bike has been running for a little bit.

Couple days ago my headlights went out completely, had no lo, hi, or hi beam indicator, checked the headlight fuse and noticed it was blown, replaced it and started the bike up, no low beam but i had hi beam and hi indicator.

After letting the bike sit for a bit waiting to see if the other headlight came on my high beam light turned off but the indicator still shows when its on now.

Anyone got any ideas? I have not replaced the bulbs yet ( ****ers are expensive! ) and i have not pulled apart the main harness on the left side of the bike ( just under the ram air cover or do i have to pull off the side fairing ? )

Old 12-20-2010, 08:57 PM

It will be easier without the left side fairing. Also pull the left intake cover...which is easier without the left fairing as well.

Old 12-20-2010, 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by Xander F4i
It will be easier without the left side fairing. Also pull the left intake cover...which is easier without the left fairing as well.
Thanks for the reply man, guess i will pull apart the left side of the bike in the next few days and check the harness.. if that doesnt work i guess ill pick up a DDM tuning HID kit to replace the bulbs.. no point in spending 30 bucks on sylvania's when i can get HIDs for 50 lol.

Old 01-29-2011, 01:17 PM

OK guys i still need help.. finally pulled the left fairing today and looked at the 3 plugs on the left side, the small black square one, the small white square one, and the larger grey one. All the contacts looked clean and all the wires were attached.

Checked the 3 same conectors right in the middle of the front fairing, the ones that hang right by the horn and it was the same story.

Previously i had pulled apart the starter switch relay and all 4 wires were indeed attached.

Current status: Fuse is not blown, hi indicator shows on dash, no headlights but ive got turn signal, etc.

I cant possibly imagine that both bulbs burnt out at the exact same time so i have not yet bought new bulbs.. i think im going to have too though just for troubleshootings sake.

Please someone help.. its a beautiful day and i want to get out on the bike!

Old 01-29-2011, 10:18 PM

Oh btw guys.. it just so happens that both my bulbs burnt out at the same time.. check the simple stuff first! When i finally pulled the bulb out i could hear something inside "tingling" around.

DOH!