General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ganged headlight/starter switch

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2011, 08:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ganged headlight/starter switch

I'm considering using a 20v on/off switch from wally mart to replace the starter switch to save myself some money. I noticed that theres a ganged switch inside the switch (which I already have taken apart) that opens the circuit to the headlight during start. What I basically want to know is if i just crimp the two wires together, which would leave the headlight on during start, would there still be enough electricity going to the coil to energize it and bridge the gap between the battery and the motor?

Old 08-07-2011, 11:39 AM
Super Moderator
Received 496 Likes on 449 Posts

Would there be power to the starter, yes. Would it be enough to start the bike is hard to say for sure. The Starter draws a huge amount of current to turn the engine over. It's the single largest draw on the battery. The headlights are second. If you bike starts every time, the first time, you may get away with it for a while.

I would recommend against it. I'd search ebay for a replacement. Since you've already taken the switch apart, you realize how simple of a device it is. You might be able to take parts from another year and model of bike to repair your switch (depending on what's wrong with yours). Another solution might be to go to Radio Shack and look for a better switch. One that is a Double-Pole-Single-Throw design which will allow you to keep the circuits separate, as well as turn one off and the other on.