CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

engine noise

Old 05-06-2006, 01:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine noise

I am looking to see if there is an online engine rebuild "walk threw" so I can get a better idea of how these things are put together. I have been surching for a couple hours now and haven't been able to find any thing, but figured on this forum there has to be some one who knows were to find it.

The problem I'm having, is a extreamly loud rattling comming from the engine, it doesn't sound like a knock to me more like a chain running against the case or really bad valve lash. The problem is it started suddenly. I am a new ridder and I was practicing for my skills test last night and droped the bike, I panic stoped, the bike was going about 5 mile an hour, I was turning right and riding the clutch throttle and break all at the same time and accidently grabbed to much front break and the front wheel washed and the bike fell over... I was able to let it down some what slow but it still made what I would consider a small impact when it hit, no phisical damage except a scratch or to but after I stood the bike back up, and gave it a second for the oil to run back down (about 5 mins actualy... I was pissed I droped it and needed a min lol)
When it started it had a horabley loud rattle... it hit on the right side, and I could see no damage.... I am thinking maybe it jolted a already worn tensioner to failure?? maybe? or knocked a chain guide off inside or something. Any sugestions? I started it once again ten mins later to see if the problem was the oil didn't make it back down... no luck same problem so I pushed it home and haven't started it sence... missed my skills test today and I just want to get it back up and running again.

Any information would be great.

Thanks.

Old 05-06-2006, 01:09 PM
Default RE: engine noise

This is the F2 forum so I figured it evident, but just incase lol... it's a 92 F2

Old 05-06-2006, 05:34 PM

I don't know a lot about bikes, just here and there but maybe your CCT ...cam chain tensioner is bad?

Old 05-06-2006, 07:46 PM

sounds like the cam chain tensioner. heres a quick test.... start it up and ride it after it warms up a little, if after about 6/8K RPM the rattle goes silent its the tensioner. if the rattle stays its is probably a guide on the inside that has come loose. the problem with the F2 tensioner is that it uses a spring AND oil pressure. if the pressure isnt there the spring wont push on the chain hard enough. once you get it to around 6K/8K the engine builds up enough pressure on the spring and pushes the chain tight. as long as you arent redlining it while its rattling it wont hurt the motor. what kills a motor that has a bad tensioner is getting it wound up and suddenly closing the throttle. that sudden closing and drop in oil pressure will allow the cam chain to go loose too quickly.

Old 05-06-2006, 09:22 PM

i cant help u on a guide but it should be fairly easy to pull the side casing of the motor to check the timing chain guides. on each side of chain there is a black one and light brown ,cream whatever one . u should be able to check if it cracked. cause when it breaks it will make noise rattling and what not...f2 f3 900rr motors are fairly easy to disassemble not like a f4i f4 and newer models.

Old 05-08-2006, 10:39 PM

Thanx guys, I am in agreeance that it is a chain tensioner... any one know the sevice limit on the chain?

by the way, not to try and spam an add but these guys are awsome on price... way cheeper than any one I've found..

example cam chain: $49.02
Guides: $9.73 each
Tensioner: $60.97
Shims: $5.60 each (for vavle lash)

There number is 212.932.3588
and it's a mail order place.. servicehonda.com any way thats probly the nub in me lol and I'm sure you guys already know about it... or maybe you have one better? if so let me know... I need to get a manual for all the specs as well.

Old 05-09-2006, 12:27 PM

Hey I have a 94 Cbr F2 with the same problem I believe. Did you get your's checked out yet. How much were the parts and were you able to do it yourself? By the way what area are you from?

Old 05-10-2006, 03:19 AM

Prices for the parts are listed above, from that vender... they are alot more expencive every were else I have checked... I will be doing it myself so wish me luck lol... all the shops around here want about 480-580 in labor alone to do the job... so yea... it can't imagin it being any harder to do than setting valve lash on a car and doing a timming chain there... an engine is an engine, these are alot more hp per ci so tollerances I am sure will be tighter but thats fine, I'm used to building 10k rpm car engine... so a 12k rpm motorcycle engine should be fine.
When I get done I'll do a right up here of the problems I had and try to make a step by step for some one to follow, sence I couldn't find one any were...

Old 05-10-2006, 08:54 PM

I can't find any one, including several dealers around this area that can give me a service limit on the timing chain?????? does any one know what it is? why replace it if it's still got alot of life left is my attitude, but I can't find the information... if it's any thing like a car... then it really shouldn't go bad... but most cars that have stock timing chains don't spin to 12k eather... I ordered the Manual tensioner, thinking it would be a better choise for my application, but if any one knows the recomended life of the chain I would apretiate the info.