CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

engine noise.. may not be cct

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 11:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine noise.. may not be cct

hey guys. I bought a cbr f2 a few weeks ago.. still waiting on my cct.
It was i quite noise and a dealer heard it and told me to order a cct.. which should have been here by now but they take forever. Over that two weeks i hardly rode and if i did i rode good and shifted around 5k to keep the rpm's down. Now the noise is pretty damn loud. And trust me it wasn't there when i bought the bike. I can't pin point where it is but its from the cct area and front end. another tech today told me he hears something more than the cct but not sure. The noise starts from cold to hot, no matter how long the bike rides. Down shifting gets louder and while riding holding in the clutch seems to dim the noise which i think i just hear the cct. Anyone have any problem like this? Performance wise, it is great, fast, no loose of power or anything. Just a damn loud noise.

Old 10-07-2009, 01:33 PM

I have the same noise, hot, cold whatever. It's real loud, and I've convinced myself it's the CCT... mainly because I had the motor out, valve cover off, cams out, and everything else that could make a noise I carefully inspected, and came up with no other cause then the CCT for the noise. I bought one and it's on the way as well. I'll report if I beat you to it. My cam chain was also completely trash, but I think that's a rarer problem than the CCT. The noise on my bike is still present with a new chain but old CCT.

Old 10-07-2009, 04:31 PM

Mine also makes a noise coming from the same direction as yours up front. But is like a loud fast clicking sorta, it seems to get better and worse as I adjust the clutch and usually goes away after it warms up? Not sure what the CCT is? Could you inform me.

Old 10-07-2009, 05:51 PM

The cam chain tensioner is what keeps the cam chain (what controls the cams that control the timing of your valves in relation to your pistons) from flopping about at any given RPM. The stock one, pictured here, is the culprit for most of these noises. A bad tensioner, insufficient oil pressure or other oil flow problems cause the rattle. Refer to the sticky at the top. It's just to the right of your clutch cover clutch cable mount. Right above the pulser cover wire exit on the right side of your motor. Two 10mm bolts hold it to the side of the engine. Internally, this is what's going on:

http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche....e=13&A=122&B=6

Old 10-07-2009, 05:56 PM
Senior Member & tensioner mod inventor ROTM WINNER FEB 2013

CCT stands for Cam chain Tensioner.
You should be aware that there are actually three chains inside the engine. One driving the alternator, one the oil pump and one obviously the Cam chain.
If you need to understand better what the alternator chain does and what can go wrong with it check out the how to section.
I've just posted a repair for the ACT which gives you some insight into this rather over looked item. If tensioners fail you will get shed loads of noise. Some people are prepared to live with it. I think it's just plain wrong and will not put up with it for long if I start getting more rattles developing. The thought of one breaking while you're traveling at any serious speed doesn't bear thinking about.
Honda tensioners don't use strong springs. I think they are one of the weakest links in what should be a bullet proof piece of engineering. Manual tensioners seem a better option where available.

Old 10-07-2009, 08:00 PM
Thumbs up

Thanks guys, you all are a lot help.

Old 10-07-2009, 08:39 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The clutch makes a funny rumbling sound as well, that may be the other noise you are hearing.

Old 10-07-2009, 09:59 PM

ok guys i got the cct.. i put it in and warmed the bike up for a good 5-10 min and the sound was gone that whole time. I rode to the gas station (10 min away) and the noise was there, i then went to work and the bike sat for about 6 hours and when i rode home it was gone. But there still is a slight noise but im thinking clutch or something, and i def need a new cable mine is ripping apart but holding up for now, i hope.
A tech also told me to put in 20-50 and that should stop some noise

Old 10-07-2009, 10:06 PM

It's only fair and honest to report... CCT was not the issue, ever, for me. 100% due to something else more horrifying. APE just installed, no difference. I assure you it was installed competently. Removed pulser cover to certify proper tension and everything. You could be on your way to whatever atrocious thing my bike apparently has a very bad case of. I will likely be taking the head off this Sunday to dive into whatever the heck horrible head noise it is that I get to sort out.

Old 10-07-2009, 10:13 PM

keep us updated. what kind of noise does yours make? and is a very loud?
and good luck hope nothing is to bad

Quick Reply: engine noise.. may not be cct